Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Feeling like an idiot

I just went into the bathroom to find the shower pan full and over flowing. The bathroom faucet was left on by me I think. It filled the grey tank and more. I t is running out of the basement storage comlpartment doors. In the morning I will address this issue and see what is ruined.
I think more than my ego is damaged but maybe not too much. We are stationary for another 13 days so I will have some time.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
John,

Open it up and let it dry completely. A fan or two will help getting it dry. Likely no damage as it was grey water and you found it quickly.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Take down a corner of the coroplast to help it drain.
To remove the nails, use a 1/4" socket on a drill in reverse. Pry down under the washer.
To put it back up use 1" self drilling #12 bolts and the washers you removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Removing coroplast nails.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	15746  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 05:45 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I think many of us have had flooding experience in our past histories at one time or another. I know, I did, 2 campers ago. And, as others above suggested, they are spot on as far as fixing things up. Open the underbelly and get air moving to dry things out.

Damage? probably nothings.

All of our best efforts to dry things out, water still seeped from under the walls for a couple days. It took about a week to dry out the insulation in the underbelly. Nothing was damaged once the insulation dried out.

My flood was the result of leaving the black tank flusher hooked up and running. No, I did not fill the tank up with water and it overflowed the toilet. The anti siphon valve under the bathroom sink broke and water was spraying under the sink for, probably a good 10 minutes before water started pouring out from under the trailer. All the while, I thought the black tank was getting flushed out. Oh well... At least the underbelly got a good wash!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:38 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Don't feel bad, I'll bet every one of us can find an 'idiot' in our RVs....all I have to do is look in the mirror.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If we just admit it I think most all of us have been an "idiot" at one time or another. Not so funny now, but something to laugh at yourself about later, maybe much later.

One time wet is not likely to cause much if any permanent damage. Open up all you can and set fans to blow air in all the nooks and corners until well dry. You should be ok.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
If we just admit it I think most all of us have been an "idiot" at one time or another. Not so funny now, but something to laugh at yourself about later, maybe much later.
For me - “one time or another” can be hour by hour or day by day (if I’m lucky).
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Eventually, no matter how careful you are, you will have that moment you mess something up. Been there and done that. Hopefully that will all dry out and everything will be ok with your rig.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You have the right attitude. You can’t undo what’s been done. No need to worry about it fix it and move on. Getting mad blaming yourself won’t fix it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:27 AM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
I blame my boo-boos on "Sometimers".....
Like others have said, open up the area and circulate air well
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
This is one of the reasons I never hook up to city water. I always travel with the fresh water tank full and feel as needed at the site. I can instantly tell if there's a problem if I hear the water pump running and no one using water. Plus if something like this were to happen only 66 gallons maximum could flow somewhere.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I hate that when that happens
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 05:32 PM   #13
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Funny this just was posted. I have been dealing with this the last 3 days. Wife was at camper. Forgot to turn water off in bathroom sink and fell asleep. Water filled the gray tank then started overflowing in bathroom. Wife work up to water on the floor. When I got there she had cleaned up all the water. I dropped the underbelly water was in it left it open and dried it out. I been trying to figure out if water got into the floor heating vents. I can’t tell and if it did how much and how would I get it out? Any suggestions?
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:12 PM   #14
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
When I do something like this, I paraphrase Letterman. I call it one of my stupid old man tricks.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:29 PM   #15
regbsn

M.O.C. #33399
Recovery from flooding.

List of good suggestions on mitigating damage and drying things out. But, if you have wet/soaked stuff in your basement, call your insurance company. Or if you have an older rig with carpet. My toilet valve failed open. Overflowed the black tank. I ripped out all the carpet and padding. Sucked up as much as I could with shop vac (basement had felt lining). Called the insurance company. I then laid out everything outside that was wet and took a video and pictures. Also took picture of all wet areas. I looked up the value to replace all items wet and sent the list to the insurance company (an extra step, not required, but they paid me the value I listed). Agent came out to verify my story. I got paid to replaced all exposed items (it was water from the black tank after all), treatment of all surfaces to kill contamination and to prevent mold formation, and to have the carpet and padding replaced. Included was the cost to have it all done professionally.
regbsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:20 AM   #16
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
This is one of the reasons I never hook up to city water. I always travel with the fresh water tank full and feel as needed at the site. I can instantly tell if there's a problem if I hear the water pump running and no one using water. Plus if something like this were to happen only 66 gallons maximum could flow somewhere.
Sage advice right there as far as i'm concerned. We also turn off the water pump if leaving our MHC duriing day trips
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote