Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Propane tank will not turn offf

Not on the road but a problem turning off 20 lb propane tank. Grilled yesterday and as always turned the grill off and then the tank. Was going to remove the tank hose and place the small weber grill in garage. Attempted to remove hose from tank but propane gas escaped in force. Luckily hadn't completely removed the hose from the tank. Tank was turned off. Retightened the hose and turned tank back and forth several times. The knob turns each way as usual. Turned off again and the grill fired up! Grill and tank are on a porch. Could fire the grill and use up the propane but there is at least half a tank of propane! Did an internet search but no real solutions found except burn the tank empty!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bobby,

Take it to one of the places that exchange tanks.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Thought of that but will have to take the grill with me. Probably have to take both to propane supply place that supplies large home tanks in the country and fills small tanks but is Saturday. Will try to contact one. If I still lived in the country could take it out away from house disconnect from grill and run! Thanks

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 12-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
I think if you open the bleed off screw a little and bleed off a little pressure the valve will reseat.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Okay, web said earlier to spray 10W40 on knob. This was for when knob is hard to turn. This knob was not hard to turn either direction. I sprayed the heck out of it just to try about an hour ago. Now the tank is off!!??. Grill fired up but quickly went out before taking hose off from tank. No leak. Don't trust the tank! 10W40 is great except not allowed in aircraft maintenance in the Navy. Have disconnected many tanks before and never had this problem. Might get a smell propane doing it but not a steady heavy blast of propane. Thanks

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 12-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I have a 10' hose for my grill. When I'm through with the grill I always leave the grill burning and shut the tank off. When the flame goes out, I then disconnect the hose. That way I know the valve is closed. Always amazed at how much propane is in that hose after the tank is shut off.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Old age is hell! WD40 Thanks for comments. Need to rethink my process with the grill! I knew you people would have the best advice even when you make me realize the errors of my ways!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 12-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Maybe I don't understand the problem here. Is the tank working correctly, you just can't turn the knob off? Whenever you disconnect the appliance from the propane tank, there is always going to be a small spray under pressure. Are you saying, if you disconnect the hose, even if the knob is off, the tank still continues to spew? If so, just let it spew out. then buy a new propane tank and take that one to a hazmat/oil/recycling county run place.

Also, as stated above, if all else, turn the set screw on the side of the valve and release the pressure that way, let it run till it completely stops, disconnect it, and get a new tank.

I'm assuming this is a 20 pound tank for a conventional BBQ grill?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Sounds like it the seat on the internal plunger, I had a tank do that to me about a year ago. Luckily it was almost empty so I let it spew out the rest of the propane and traded the tank in at Walmart

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Why not use up all the propane then get a new tank?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #11
GeorgeP.
Established Member

M.O.C. #21730
Remember that the propane in the tank is a liquid that is very cold if have tank on its side while grilling liquid propane can freeze the inside of valve, standing up the tank and wait for valve to thaw. You still have the flow valve on grill to stop leaking propane.
GeorgeP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #12
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
Not on the road but a problem turning off 20 lb propane tank. Grilled yesterday and as always turned the grill off and then the tank. Was going to remove the tank hose and place the small weber grill in garage. Attempted to remove hose from tank but propane gas escaped in force. Luckily hadn't completely removed the hose from the tank. Tank was turned off. Retightened the hose and turned tank back and forth several times. The knob turns each way as usual. Turned off again and the grill fired up! Grill and tank are on a porch. Could fire the grill and use up the propane but there is at least half a tank of propane! Did an internet search but no real solutions found except burn the tank empty!
Turn the tank off and allow the grill to burn off all the propane trapped between the 20lb tank and the grill. The way you are doing it is backwards.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #13
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
If you bleed the relief valve, wear protective cloves. As stated, the propane is a freezing liquid that will freeze your hand and fingers if not careful.
Recommend just burning off the propane in your grill and replace tank later.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #14
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
This is crazy! The reason disconnected the 20 lb. tank in the first place was to take inside to clean the gas burner tube holes. Decided to order a new gas tube for the Q1000. Got the new tube this week and today installed it in the grill. Well, let's try it out but with a one lb. green cylinder instead of the problem 20 lb. Turned the gas on and hit the spark button and nothing but could hear the gas going. Didn't have the cast iron grill plates in place. Looked all over the grill trying to determine the problem. Turned gas on again and hit the spark button which is sparking. As I was inspecting the darn grill noticed the tube was hot! Appears the grill is working but can not see the flame. No blue or orange flame. Can not see the flame! Did an internet search and found a 2015 post that mentioned this problem but post received no real answers. Shut down the grill and placed back in the garage. Wife said we are under a tornado watch until 7pm. I think I will quit grilling!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 12-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #15
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
You mentioned mono flames from tubes. Take the grills and cover plates off and wire brush the tubes. Occasionally they get build-up and the ports close up. After brushing you should see clean ports for flame. Wire rush solved my no flame issue,
Good luck.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #16
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Propane Bottle Valve

In a prior lifetime during my formative years, spent 8 years delivering / transporting propane - 4 yr with bobtail truck and 4 years in semi rigs. Used to replace a handful of valves each year due to leaking valves and such. Even on a 20 lb bottle, the valve replacement price was considerably less than buying a whole new bottle. Suggest getting with an actual propane dealer for issues such as this. One might save a little coin in the long run. YMMV.

Happy Camping
Lee & Edith
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote