Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Water Bladder

We recently purchased a 45 gal water bladder for when we boon dock. We don't boon dock very often; usually just once a year in Quartzsite. With such little use, we are concerned that the bladder will develop a smell or become moldy. What do you do to dry it out so it doesn't become yucky? Have those who have bladders had a problem; and if so, what do you do to solve the problem.

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I think most people just roll or fold it up and not try to dry it out. You can put a bleach solution in it, just like with the fresh water tank, then rinse it with fresh, clean water, and as long as you seal it tightly you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm sure, though, that someone with that bladder, and I think Doug Henry has one, will come along and fill you in on what technique they use.

Bob

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Good question...I recently purchased one of these bladders too.
It's still in the box and haven't used it yet.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I do as Bob said, After emptying the bladder, I roll it up with and most of the water comes out, then I refold it and put it in the box. I do not use the fresh water tanks for drinking water, I bring bottled water for that use.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
When we reuse ours we put a little bit of water with a little bit of bleach, slosh it around good, let it set for 10 or 15 minutes, then rinse good and fill. When finished we roll as much water out as possible, then put away.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
This past summer we did a lot of boondock camping. One notable experience was at the Gros Ventre Campground in Grand Teton National Park. We had to use the bladder to bring in out water and a 25-gallon "tote" to haul the "used" water back out. We used the bladder several times during this summer for our fresh water supply with no problems. We also used it last January at the Quartzite Rally with no problems.

Be careful using bleach. A little is good but a lot can cause the plastic to deteriorate. If you can smell/taste the bleach, you used too much.

We will be back at Quartzite again this year with our bladder. I think I will leave the "tote" at home since the "honey bucket" pumpers will come to your trailer for about $25. (At least, they didd last year.)

Bottom line...drain your bladder; put in about a quart of water and a tablespoon of bleach; fiddle with the bladder so the water touches all parts of it; drain, seal, fold, and store. Next time around, you will be in good shape.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
I HAVE CW 45GA BLADDER AND A HARBOR FREIGHT PUMP WHICH USES TAILER PLUG FOR ELE AND PUMPS IN ABOUT 15MIN.
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I just read your posting for the first time today. Sorry for the late reply.
In the emergency services for our fire department we were taught that the best mixture of bleach in water was 10% bleach and 90% water. This was used for sterilizing instruments, cleaning the ambulance and cleaning up hazardous "spills."
This mixture will work and will not be deleterious to the materials upon which it is used.
Hope this helps you.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

I just read your posting for the first time today. Sorry for the late reply.
In the emergency services for our fire department we were taught that the best mixture of bleach in water was 10% bleach and 90% water. This was used for sterilizing instruments, cleaning the ambulance and cleaning up hazardous "spills."
This mixture will work and will not be deleterious to the materials upon which it is used.
Hope this helps you.
Larry
Larry, you sure about that?...10% seems to me to be way to much bleach. We use our bladder a lot. I carry a small bleach bottle that every-so-often, I'll put a small squirt in there with several gallons of water...slosh it around, let it sit for a while and then dump. We have used our bladder for several years for our primary drinking water without any incidents of bad taste, or sickness.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote