Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 01:15 PM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Kathi,

Think I will try that.

Did you use water to soften the old paper??? before you tried to pull off the wall??

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM   #22
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Carol, I took all of the border off in the bathroom using a small clothes steamer to loosen the adhesive and then gently pulled. It left a small amount of sticky, but the Goo Gone took it off. I tried using a hair dryer and just pulling it off - neither worked as well as the clothes steamer. Good luck!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
oooo, I think I have one of those at home!

thanks Pam!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #24
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Carol, No water, I guess this border has some kinda spray on it that makes it stick. I have never seen wall border that was put on like that. I think the water would only make things worse. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:59 AM   #25
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Hey guys,
Having been an ex-wallpaper hanger, I'll give you my two cents. If you have the same boarder that we have in our rig, it is vinyl coated. The ONLY Real SURE way of removing wallcoverings or boarders is to use really hot water or steam. That softens the paste and loosens the paper. Using a little of the wallpaper removers that are out there helps, but I have found they are of more use after getting the paper off to get the adheisive residue that remains on the wall. The borders that have vinyl coatings have to be lightly "scored" through the vinyl so the water or steam can penetrate through to the back, then the top will "de-laminate" and make it easier to remove by layers. Most wallpaper has 2-4 layers of laminated paper to make it before coating with vinyl. Be VERY carful when scoring the vinyl!!! It is real easy to cut through too far and go into the board, and then the walcovering behind will start to delaminate. If your afraid of using a razon on the vinyl you can always do the "scrape the corner and tear bit by bit method" but oooh thats hard and take a looooong time. And Yes, water really is the solution!! It can be time consuming, but in the end, it is the very best. Sometimes the if you grab and pull the border just right it will come right off, if it does, your lucky, if not, well the above way is to go. Good luck, I hope I covered everything.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #26
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks to everyone, this is a job that will wait till I get home, I have a wallpaper score tool at home, and I also have a fabric steamer. I did not even thing of the wallpaper score tool!

I sure appreciate all the feedback on this situation!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #27
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Carol,

My border just peeled off. No effort involved. The hard part was finding something to remove the glue residue as I did not want to replace with another border at the time. Or you could just leave the residue as it's a great lint remover for your clothing.

I have mentioned Orange All before. The best stuff every for removing things like glue, pine sap, any type of sticky residue. It will do what Goo Be Gone will not do. It was given to me by someone in the chemical industry and I have yet to find a place to buy it. But this is what I also used to remove the mirrors. Remember that story??
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:49 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
fla native,

I do indeed remember the mirror story!

I started "picking" at the border, mine seems to be pretty well STUCK!! I have decided to wait till I get home and have the "tools" at hand. If I got it partly off and made a mess and had to leave it, Al might get cranky. He does not mind me working on it, but does not want to see it in the messy stage for a week or more! I don't want to either! Think would make us BOTH cranky!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #29
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Quote:
quote:
I have mentioned Orange All before. The best stuff every for removing things like glue, pine sap, any type of sticky residue. It will do what Goo Be Gone will not do. It was given to me by someone in the chemical industry and I have yet to find a place to buy it. But this is what I also used to remove the mirrors. Remember that story??
Fla Native,
I called on the Orange All spray and was told it was an industrial maintenance product and was not sold to the public. However, because of my interest in it, they very kindly shipped me 3 cans of the wonderful stuff, at no charge at all! and you are right! It works great on just about anything as well as smelling nice too. So, if I didn't tell you before, thanks for the tip!

Joy
Old 09-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #30
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Oh My! You are the lucky one. I only have one can that I use very sparingly to make it last. I don't know why they don't market this stuff? Did they mention why they don't?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #31
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Oh My! You are the lucky one. I only have one can that I use very sparingly to make it last. I don't know why they don't market this stuff? Did they mention why they don't?
[/quote]

Fla Native,

Ain't I just!! I feel so special! When they called me back after I left them the message inquiring where to get it, they just told me they can't sell to the public, only certain business'. You might give it a stab and call them, who knows..... maybe you too can be a lucky winner. (I would call them after hours, so someone has to call you back, and they are prepared for your conversation). Good Luck.

Joy
Old 10-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #32
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I did it! The wallpaper project.

Or, rather, IT DID ME! Geeesshhhhh!

Reports, although fully believed by me, that this stuff left a sticky residue on the wall, well, you guys almost understated the case!

fla native, I think it was you, said that her clothes stuck to this stuff! Well, ain't that the truth! SO DID MY LONG HAIR! Gesshhh!

OOKKKK, I was able to get all the paper off, by just pulling, HAHA, thought the wall was gonna come down with it, the wall did "move" about 1/2 inch, as I was huffing and puffing and SLOWLLLLY pulling this stuff off.

Now, I did not have some of that orange cleaner, and like fla native and others have said, NOTHING TAKES THIS STICKY STUFF OFF! Not even gasoline would touch it!

Now, my problem really began, as sadly, the paper I had chosen with care and glee was 1/4 inch short of the stuff I took off, which meant, I was gonna be left with 1/4 inch of sticky stuff all the way around the room.

This was NOT an option, so, an emergency trip to the local county seat was undertaken, with Carol trying to keep the trepidation under control. (top this off with a project that Al was concurrently undertaking on Montana was also going POORLY!)

Anyway, after he treated me to a very good Mexican lunch at a new place in town, we discussed WHERE we were going to go look. I had said Lowes, he said, hmmmmm, isn't there a place that sells wallpaper, just wallpaper, in this town?? My response, was, well, maybe we could look at Sherwin Williams. Seems to me they had paper there many many many moons ago.

We walked in, the choices were not of the quantity that I remembered, ok, they had a lousy and small selection. But, dig this, I found something that I like in less than 7 minutes. And, it was on sale for $4.00. Whoooeeee! It is also one inch wider (longer) than the stuff I took down.

So, right or wrong, and only time will tell I suppose, this is how I put it up. Where the sticky stuff was, I used NO other adhesive. Just stuck the new stuff to it! The portion of the paper that did not stick to the wall was glued on with the vinyl to vinyl adhesive glue stuff. It worked great.

The pretty stuff I purchased that was too short, may end up in the bedroom part of Montana, it looks OK there!

My suggestion to anyone considering this improvement, get some orange stuff that fla native suggests, OR get wallpaper that is LONGER/WIDER than what you take down.

I have no idea what the OEM paper was hung with, but I swear they could build airplanes with this stuff and they would easily pass any stress test that the FAA could come up with! HOLY COW!!

The backing on the OEM paper appears to be plastic. It sure was stretchy when I was removing from the walls.

What an experience this was!

Carol
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #33
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Carol......I know what you mean about your hair. Mine is down to my waist and I think I left half of it behind the new paper. I sit in there and instead of reading I pull all the hair out from where I left it. Thank goodness it doesn't grow after it is pulled out......LOL But I know just what you are talking about. I to bought this really great border. But only after I took the old stuff off did I realize that the new stuff was only 7 1/2 inces wide. So I to went back to the store and found something that would cover all that sticky stuff. I did get most of it off with that Goof Off. But I still had some residue. Well take a breather, enjoy it now. The worst is over....I think! LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #34
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Kathi

No taking my paper (the short stuff) back, I purchased it in Shipshewanna. So, I just had to go get something larger. I ended up with 8 inch paper. If what I had purchased had been 7.5 it would have fit, as my OEM was 7 inches. The "S" paper was 6.75 inches.

Sure was an experience!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 PM   #35
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
This does not sound like a fun job! Think I will stick with trying to make a bed skirt. (This will be challenging enough as I am not a seamstress)
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Guess what. Come to Hemet in the summer and park your unit facing the afternoon sun where you want the wallpaper to come off and it does it by itself. Went back on with a little pushing but scared me as I thought the whole unit was going to have that problem.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote