Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Ok now what

I have the 2005 Monty 3400rl and I want to hook up the dish satalite. In the cupboard above the tv there are 2 coaxel outlets. Onw comes out of the wall and into a splitter with 2 going out of splitter, one to tv and the other to fm-am plug on the stereo reciever.
The other outlet has 2 coaxel plugs to it with the coaxel comming out of one plug and into the other plug in same outlet box.
how do I hook up the satalite reciever????
Allen in MT

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
On the set of connections with the "loop" of wire connecting them, This is where the signal from the outside coax connection comes in (where either park cable or SAT Rcvr is attached). When hooked up to park cable the loop sends the signal up to the front of the trailer to the antenna amplifier panel (normally in the bedroom closet) this panel in addition to providing the means of turning on the roof antenna amplifier connects the signal from the roof antenna and the external coax input together and sends the signal to the front and rear tv (and fm reciever). The Roof antenna is normally much weaker than the coax or satelite signal and with the booster off you are getting cable or satelite at that TV. with the booster on, the antenna signal is stronger and interferes with the cable signal (which is why you have to turn the booster off to watch cable).

If you are connecting a satelite signal instead of park cable to the outside input you have to "insert" the sat reciever box somewhere in the system in order to decode and moudulate (provide channel seperation) of the signal off the dish. This is why there is that "Loop" in the cabinet. remove the jumper between the two connectors, run a line from the top jack to the sat rcvr sat iput connection. run a piece of coax from the "out to tv" to the bottom jack on the panel to send the decoded signal up to the antenna amplifer panel and from there it will be sent to the TVs.

This "setup" only allows you to watch the same satilite program on each tv. if you wanted to run two sat rcvrs to watch independent shows you have to do the set up different. For that option, leave the loop in place. disconnect the input from the back of TV, run it into the Sat input on a rcvr and run the output to tv into the back of the tv. Do the samething in the bedroom - line from the connecter on the anttena booster panel to the second sat rcvr, line from rcvr output into the back of the bedroom tv.

THis gets even more complicated if you have an HDTV as the tv has two coax inputs, one to the analog tuner and one to the digital tuner. If you are properly wired for HDTV (sometime in 07 the factory began doing it correctly) in the coax that runs from the wall into the tv there should be a splitter (in addition to the one going to the radio) with two outputs going to the two tv inputs. For the two sat rcvr set up I would remove the analog tuner input to the tv, run it to the sat rcvr and then run the sat rcvr output to the tv analog turner input.

Hope this makes sense.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Thanks Bill:
I called 4 different dealers including tech support at Keystone and one didn't have any idea and the other 3 gave me 3 different answeres.
yours seems to be the best answere thank you
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Allen, Bill gave a great write up. However on my 07 3400RL the bottom jack is the one that goes to the receiver.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bill, I'll just give you a call if I have to change anything in my sat/Blu Ray/Q4000 setup...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
When I pulled a couple more cables to the entertainment center, my son ended up adding another outlet in the bedroom tv cubicle. I was surprised to see they used three different colors of coax at the factory. IIRC it was black, gray, and orange. But, I suppose with the craftsmen they use, it is much simpler; black here, orange here, and gray there. Did I say those connections they made weren't very good? If you have the plates off for any reason, you might check them.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote