Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
No need for dual pane windows?

Made a recent trip to my local dealer and mentioned dual pane windows. He immediately whipped out a flier and said that they were not necessary. He said Dometic just did a test where they submersed an entire Montana (don't know what floor plan) and they showed very little heat loss through the single pane windows and this dealer is not ordereding the duals out of the factory for his lot like he used to.

We will be FTing, but still up in N. Mich in cooler times of the year. Didn't think to ask him about condensation problems. This is going to be a hard sell for me... I really can't see single panes of any kind being equal to duals. Comments?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I might agree on the heat loss, maybe...We live in Northern, Ohio and have dual pane windows on our entire house. The windows in the garage are NOt and in the winter they can freeze on both sides were the house dual panes do not..hard sell here also..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

Here in the Phoenix area, you can not build a new Home without dual pane windows. Code requires it.

I can't believe this code is in place, just to sell more glass.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Anytime you have cold air or suface come in contact with a warmer suface or air you are going to get condensation. Once the condensation is there it will freeze if the cold surface is cold enough. If the option was there when we got our Monty I would have got it. I know they do have problems with the seals breaking but all in all I think it would be worth having. We use to live in Michigan and did alot of winter camping. I remember them sweaty windows well.. do a search on line and see what they say between the two. Good Luck.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
We have had single pane windows on our units until this present unit. Dual pane windows are not only better for heating and cooling but help to quiet outside noise also.
zcharlie and Sue
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
dsprik,
This has been a much discussed issue here on the MOC. If you haven't done a search you might try that for some excellent previous discussions. Boils down to pretty much what you want and what you want to pay for. If and when we get another unit it will have the dual pane windows.

Good luck and happy travels,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ours did not come with dual pane although we have them in our stick house. But at home we go from 110+ in summer to as low as 28 in winter so we need them. With the Monty I don't plan on being anywhere where they are needed. I have had enough real hot (worked in desert for 5 years @ 120+) and real cold (lived in Upstate NY for 10 years at -35+) to last a lifetime. On the 3400 if you have dual pane, the bedroom window does not have a screen. At least the '05 didn't so I'm glad we don't have them.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If I was using my Montana full time I would definitely have the dual pane glass. I am almost sorry that I did not get the dual pane glass when I ordered my 2004 model as when I have been in a area where it is hot we have had to line the windows with the reflective window insulation which cuts out the light. IMO go for the dual pane glass.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am very aware of the previous threads on this subject here. I spent a lot of time on it. I had been convinced to go with the dual pane. If the sales rep would have only said it to me, I would have blown it off due to my previous research here. However, he excitedly ran into his office and pulled this photo copy of a fax with a picture on it describing this new "discovery" off of a large stack of other copies. While still not convinced, I thought I would throw that out to see if anyone else has seen that flier from Dometic?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
dsprik,
Remember who you are dealing with....... it is a salesperson..... They pretty much will tell you whatever they think you want to hear or that will sell something. My guess is that the dealer does not have any or many dual pane windows in the units he has on his lot. So he will try to sell what he has on his lot first. And he will use any prop that he can get his hands on.

Dual pane windows by their very nature will block more heat from getting in or out. They will also reduce the noise level. As stated above many communities require their building codes to include dual pane windows. Got to be a reason.

Good luck with your decision process.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:00 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would check with the factory on that.When we were on our tour Oct 4th the tour person mentioned test that were done with Dometic.Something about putting a entire Montana in a freezer.We did not take notes on that but recall that he said the Montana was in the freezer at a very low temp for a very long time and the interior temp stayed well above freezing... We are however with Parrothhead on not having them..The MSVRP on them is 1385.00..can buy a lot of window insulation when and if needed for that...And the camper has wheels...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:19 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
When we were buying our 3475 at the RV show in Minneapolis, Jeff Rank discouraged us from getting the duel panes. Said it add a lot of weight that he didn't think was necessary. I'll agree with Sue on this one. If its too hot, go north. Too cold, go south. That is one of the big reasons we became full timers.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM   #13
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
You can't get dual pane windows that are tinted if you plane on tinted windows
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:29 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The "House on Wheels" program is exactly why we're getting into this situation. However, with 3 out of 5 of our children, ALL of our grandchildren (for now), and my parents (a mother who is in poor health), I'm afraid that staying out of N. Mich for all but 4 to 5 months of the year, could end up being a challenge. I'm sure somewhere down the line, our Montana will be subject to coole/cold weather. Just trying to prepare...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 AM   #15
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
We spend June (hot and humid), November and December (cold) in the Kansas City area ... the A/C runs constantly in June and we spend lots of time and $$$ winterizing in November. Of course, the dual pane windows wouldn't solve all the weather issues, but they sure would help. (Don't tell me to go where it's warmer/cooler ... KC is where the kids and 2 grandgirls are so that's where I'll be for birthdays and the holidays.) And there have been numerous times when the noise reduction provided by dual pane windows would have been REALLY appreciated.

So, once again, it comes down to personal preference and your budget ... you and your wife just have to decide what you feel you want and what you feel you need and what you feel you can afford.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave
If you are going to be in cold places then it might be for you. I didn't know that about the tint and I really do love the tinted windows for privacy and I'm sure they keep out some heat.
Happy trails.........................
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #17
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You can always have tint applied to your windows by professionals.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
But they never look quite as good IMHO. We were amazed at the privacy ours offers. In the daytime you cannot see in. Of course at night (as one of our members found out) that is a different story. The bad thing is stuff that you hang in the windows doesn't show very well like sun catchers.
Happy trails.....................
Old 10-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This will be a tough call... I really am leaning towards duals. I just think it might be better err on the side of cold weather possibilities. I am going to do what Rich did and email quotes out.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 AM   #20
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
all of our previous units didn't have them. the one we have now does. we really like them and wouldn't get another unit without!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote