Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
#2 grey tank pull

on attemting to open my #2 grey tank both the handle and the rod came out. I notice there is a thread on the inside of the rod, how much of a job is this to put back or replace. The rod sticks through a hole in the underbelly, will this wind back on or could the threads possible be stripped, when I drop the underbelly will I be able to open the gate with a pair of vice grips to empty the tank. My drain leaver is just ahead of the wheels. thankyou

brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I replaced my rod with a piece of 1/4 inch threaded rod and a barrel nut. Works great and was easy to install.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My rod came off a long time ago. I loosened the underbelly for about 2-3 feet and then could peer up in to it and align the bolt when I poked it back in. Later the rod broke and I had to get a replacement.
I think mine had some sort of coupling on the end that was held in place with a cotter pin and that area broke.
p.s. I am talking about the tank between the wheels.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yup, I loosened the underbelly and screwed mine back in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
dropped side panels and underbelly, pipe runs across work area so ended up putting it back together and making the job much easier by cutting a flap in the underbelly and making the repair, and will now glue and silicone the flap back up in place. thanks guys
brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
When I did something similar, I repaired the underbelly flap with gorilla tape.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
One of these days I really should get up under there for a look see. This type of problem for that tank is more common than I'd wish, and I'd rather look up in there to prevent a problem that have to deal with it when the problem arises.

I've always wondered that when the handle comes off that the cause was that the handle eventually just spun off and just screwing it back on is the trick or if the plastic fitting it fastens to just broke or something similar. If the handle breaks that's a whole set of different solutions.

Right now, the problem I'm having is that after towing some distance and I keep ALL the tank valves closed, I always seem to have a bit of gray water in the sewer dump pipe that I have to drain before completing a connection to the CG sewer hookup. I suspect the galley tank is not closing properly or the seal is not 100%. Fortunately, I have a sewer cap with a hose fitting that I can open and predrain before completely removing the sewer cap and completing the connection. One of these days I fear it will be black tank stuff, then ugh, the smell, but so far, it's mostly clearer grayish water!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote