Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Blocked Black Tank

Does anyone have any ideas to unblock a blocked black tank? When the valve is opened, there is no "whoosh", just a trickle which eventually stops. I suspect the blockage is some TP that has not disintegrated.

Moving the trailer to get things sloshed around is not an option (no TV).

Tanks in advance for your help!

Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Have you tried getting more water presser into the holding tank to help clear or move the blockage. Suggest use of the black tank clean out connection... or filling the tank up and then opening the drain valve? You can run a plumbing snake down the toilet to help dislodge any blockage or you could run the snake up the black water drain from the valve end....but look out when the blockage is dislodged. Good luck, let us know how you make out.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Visions of the line suddenly becoming unplugged would lead me to strongly consider hiring this job done. I would watch carefully what was done for future contengencies. Somehow experimentation with black water does not appeal to me although I am, in general, a do-it-yourself kind of person..
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
George,

I think "Steves" is on the right track. Leave valve open even at a trickle. When you have it down to say a half full or less, close valve, fill tank to full and repeat this for as many times as it takes.

Something I might do in a case like yours, where the Rig isn't moved, is, after each dump I would fill with water to about 1/2 full every time. You may have to dump often but I do believe it would help with these types of situations. You are using a Toilet Chem. to help break down the waste right?

Wish you the best.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
the most likely location for the blockage is where the drain line leaves the tank ... if it is pretty much of a straight shot, several of the items shown on:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm?deptID=&catID=250&subOf=19

may assist you with your problem ... the Flush King has a good reputation with the RV Hydro Flush with Anti-Siphon Valve said to be OK but not as effective as the Flush King

hope this helps

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This is just an off-the-wall shot in the dark but when you pull the valve handle does it feel like it is actually sliding the valve open?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We were in Florida last winter and our neighbor had the same problem (he had left the valve open for weeks) and the RV technician came in with a plug that fit the hole of the toilet. He put it in the hole and tightened it up, and a water hose connected to that.
He turned the water on and away it went down the drain.
You might check with a plumber or RV dealer to see if you can get one.
Be sure to make sure the valve is opening.
Good luck!!!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
RV Hydro flush worked ok for us on our last unit. I now keep it hooked up all the time to watch the color of the water when I am flushing.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:07 AM   #9
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I read on this site quite awhile back, that putting 10 pounds or so of ice cubes down the toilet just prior to hitting the road dislodges a lot of "stuff"---kind of like a rock tumbler. The ice melts (Duhhh) and the water helps keep the "stuff" in suspension. Dump immediately when you get to the site. Worked for me. I also add 2 gallons of the "receipe" 20 Mule Team Borax (1 1/2 cups) dissolved in the water to the galley sinks & lavatory sinks along with the black tank just prior to leaving a site. Makes the inside of the tank slick so "stuff" won't stick to it. Heck of a lot cheaper than Calgon powder.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:10 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
This is a problem we all need to worry about--and the number of suggestions is endless. Will add my 2 cents worth. Last year about this time we started a thread about a tank additive which we use with great success. It is called PURE POWER. Our dealer suggested its use since they use it as a cleaning tool for tanks in desperate need of cleaning and recommend it highly. Here is what it says on the label: "waste digester for RV's and boats;Liquifies all waste and all toilet paper;eliminates odors;cleans sensors and lubricates valves;works in gray water tanks and bilges:Benefits septic systems and dumpstations:fresh wintergreen scent." "A powerful concentrate of natural, safe, environmentally friendly bacteria and enzymes." "2oz per 40 gal tank". Cost at our dealer was $6.99 for 1 quart--16 treatments. Thus far it has worked as advertised for us. Actually, there is NO odor even on super hot days. This might work before you have to spend big $$$ for the plumber to come. The ice cube trick is great if you are moving but if you aren't on the road it just melts. Let us know how the problem is solved. Good luck!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:23 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
How about Rid-X it is used in home septic tanks.I know many campers that use it (in very small amounts) on a regular basis in the black tank. It has no deodorizers, It is very inexpensive and a box will last a very long time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #12
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Thanks all for the suggestions.

The valve is opening and closing when I use the handle, I can hear the trickle start and stop.

I did use a black tank additive, similar to Pure Power, every time the tank was emptied and flushed. I added a little more Sunday evening when we packed up. I hope that whatever is in there will be dissolved enough by Friday night when I next pull the handle. If that doesn't work, I will have to resort to more drastic measures.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:30 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have a Flush King that permits back flushing through the drain and back into the black water tank (or gray water tank). Just be sure the valve is open on the tank you want to back flush. It's best to not run water from the fresh water spigot directly into the Flush King without an anti-siphon device on the spigot. Many parks provide them right on their fresh water spigots. I purchased one and use it all the time even if there is one already attached to the spigot.

Use a hose that you do not use for fresh water. It's amazing how many RVers I've seen that use their fresh water hose to back flush and/or rinse their sewer hoses. You'd be surprised at the "splash back" into your hose when you do this. I've even seen men take their sewer hose and hold it right up to the fresh water spigot and force water through the hose. Get this, the outlet of the spigot is inside the entrance to the hose! We carry a spray bottle of disinfectant with us so that we can disinfect fresh water spigots before we hook up.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #14
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
On RV Today, it may of been a repeat I'm not sure.
They had a demo to see if the toilet paper is the kind that dissolves or not.
Take the toilet paper you are using and put 2 sheets into a glass 1/2 full of water and shake it. PS (Put you hand over the top of the glass)
If the TP disolves you have the right stull and if it does not, I guess you get clogging,
I just hope it does not dissolve in use
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

If the TP disolves you have the right stull and if it does not, I guess you get clogging,
I just hope it does not dissolve in use
We have found that Angel Soft is the best toilet paper to use. We've had a few problems with other kinds. Also, be sure you are using a "good" additive. We use Snow Fresh which completely liquifies everything.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 06:03 AM   #16
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
I had a very similar problem with my balck water tank...no strong flow, just a "trickle". Anyway, I tokk it back to my dealer and he found that apparently the check valve in the flush out was blocked...whatever he did sure cured the problem. I also use a clear Hydro flush to watch for clear water flowing. My next trip I plan on putting some ice cubes in the tank with just enough water to sloush them around to clean those sensors. Has anyone else used RidX with any different results ?
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we use rid-x as do many in our camper group..It works great..but ..use Small amounts as it is designed for large septic tanks.Read the box and calculate the proper amount for a black tank.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 AM   #18
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I am glad to inform you that I got the "whoosh" over the weekend!
I can't emphasize enough how much hearing that sound is a load off my mind (no pun intended).

I suspect the black tank guage was giving me false readings and therefore I was emptying the tank before it was completely full. This allowed any TP in the tank to not fully breakdown thus causing the blockage. I will now ignore the black tank guage and rely on visually checking the level with a flashlight.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies and suggestions.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:17 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
George, if you can see the level with a flashlight then yours must go straight down into the tank (not all models work this way). Since that's the case, if you watch you'll discover that when the tank is almost full the clean flush water will kind of "plop" or "jump" as it starts to go down the tube. That's my signal that I need to dump the black tank within 24 hours. Sometimes it won't go that much longer. It's not a back splash, just a little jump in the water in the bowl. Hard to describe but you'll probably recognize it now when it happens. Then you won't need the flashlight to know when it's time to dump.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
why cant you use the hose conection on the clear elbow and with both of the grays closed and the dark opened force pressure ( Water ) up backword twords the dark tank the water pressure should be strong enugh to push your blockage back into the tank and help start the proper dran again, just an idea.

TT2