Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Gas Side of Hot Water Heater Question

The gas side of the hot water heater will not stay lit. It turns on and runs for 5-10 seconds and shuts off. Any one had this issue? The electric side has been out now for about 2 months. Any relation?

Any help would be appreciated.

awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm wondering if your thermostat/Hi-limit switch is bad? This is a troubleshooting manual from the Heartland owners group that is a good resource for checking out your water heater. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...ban%20V1.3.pdf
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’m wondering if the water heater has water in it. I had exactly the same problem. It runs a few seconds, cuts its self off cools down comes on and repeats the process. Might wont to check.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Yep! Full of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’m wondering if the water heater has water in it. I had exactly the same problem. It runs a few seconds, cuts its self off cools down comes on and repeats the process. Might wont to check.
Lynwood

Yep, it is full of water. Been running water when it shut off.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I'm wondering if your thermostat/Hi-limit switch is bad? This is a troubleshooting manual from the Heartland owners group that is a good resource for checking out your water heater. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...ban%20V1.3.pdf

Checking all of that out now! Thanks for the manual. I have the one that came with the unit and the one you provided.

I have also ordered all the parts and will start replacing them and see what works.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Don,

The other potential issue on the gas side is if you attempting to run it at high elevation. My unit would not run at 8,500 until it was adjusted.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
Do you have any other propane problems? Does your stove/oven and furnace function normal? If not, check you propane regulator or you might have a vapor lock of propane. You could also have some sort of bug nest in your hot water burner exhaust. Spiders and wasp are typical. This would cause a hi temp shut down. As far as your electric side not working, make sure you reset the circuit breaker for the heater and your main 2 pole breaker, you could only have one leg working.
Not sure what brand of hot water heater you have but some have a small switch located in the area of the burner, make sure it is on.
Hopefully this helps.
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Your water heater has a pop off valve. Flip it and see how much water comes out.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We had this problem last month and it turned out to be the module board. It was replaced under warranty. It’s a two year warranty.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
BINGO! That was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We had this problem last month and it turned out to be the module board. It was replaced under warranty. It’s a two year warranty.

BINGO! That is what it was. The Module Board was bad. Had to replace the board. No where near a warranty dealer so had to do it myself. Do you know if I can get reimbursed from Suburban?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #11
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Now the Electrical Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
BINGO! That is what it was. The Module Board was bad. Had to replace the board. No where near a warranty dealer so had to do it myself. Do you know if I can get reimbursed from Suburban?

We still do not have the electrical side of the HWH working. No voltage getting to the switch. I was told it may be a relay, but which relay?

Anyone repaired the Hot Water Heater electric relay?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
Do you have any other propane problems? Does your stove/oven and furnace function normal? If not, check you propane regulator or you might have a vapor lock of propane. You could also have some sort of bug nest in your hot water burner exhaust. Spiders and wasp are typical. This would cause a hi temp shut down. As far as your electric side not working, make sure you reset the circuit breaker for the heater and your main 2 pole breaker, you could only have one leg working.
Not sure what brand of hot water heater you have but some have a small switch located in the area of the burner, make sure it is on.
Hopefully this helps.

We have the Suburban 12 gal Hot Water Heater. Got the gas side working, now just need to find out why the electric will not work.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
From the wording at the back of the manual, within the two year warranty, Suburban must be contacted prior to making a repair. If you had called them prior and said the module board was bad, they may have sent you one, but would have wanted the old one sent to them to verify it was bad. Probably, in the long run, not worth the hassle. This is from the manual:

TWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
This Suburban product is warranted to the original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and
maintenance for a period of two years from date of purchase whether or not actual use begins on that date. It is the responsibility of the
consumer/owner to establish the warranty period. Suburban does not use warranty registration cards for its standard warranty. You are required
to furnish proof of purchase date through a Bill of Sale or other payment records.
Suburban will replace any parts that are found defective within the first two years and will pay a warranty service allowance directly to the
recommended Suburban Service Center at rates mutually agreed upon between Suburban and its recommended service centers. Replacement
parts will be shipped FOB the shipping point within the Continental United States, Alaska and Canada to the recommended service center
performing such repairs. All freight, shipping and delivery costs shall be the responsibility of the owner. The exchanged part or unit will be
warranted for only the unexpired portion of the original warranty. Before having warranty repairs made, confirm that the service agency is a
recommended service center for Suburban. DO NOT PAY THE SERVICE AGENCY FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS; SUCH PAYMENTS WILL NOT
BE REIMBURSED.
Suburban reserves the right to examine the alleged defect in the water heater or component parts, and it is the owner’s obligation to return the
water heater and/or component parts to Suburban or its representative. When returning a water heater, it must include all component parts and
the serial number plate. Returned component parts must be individually tagged and identified with the water heater’s model number, serial number
and date of installation.
For warranty service, the owner/user should contact the nearest recommended Suburban Service Center, advising them of the model and serial
numbers (located on the water heater) and the nature of the defect. Transportation of the RV to and from the Service Center and/or travel
expenses of the Service Center to your location is the responsibility of the owner/user. A current listing of recommended service center may be
obtained from Suburban’s website: www.rvcomfot.com. If you cannot locate a recommended service center locally, the service agency chosen
to perform warranty repairs must contact our Service Department at 423-775-2131 for authorization before making repairs. Unauthorized repairs
made will not be paid by Suburban.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Back to Square 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
The gas side of the hot water heater will not stay lit. It turns on and runs for 5-10 seconds and shuts off. Any one had this issue? The electric side has been out now for about 2 months. Any relation?
Any help would be appreciated.

Well, we had it fixed for a short time - now, the hot water heater will not light. It will try to light but no go - AGAIN! It turns on and runs for 5-10 seconds and shuts off.

I replaced the board and it worked fine up until today!

ARG! Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #15
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Well, we had it fixed for a short time - now, the hot water heater will not light. It will try to light but no go - AGAIN! It turns on and runs for 5-10 seconds and shuts off.

I replaced the board and it worked fine up until today!

ARG! Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
With a 2017 you should still be under warranty. Calling Suburban would be my 1st choice.

I don't understand your description. You wrote "
the hot water heater will not light. It will try to light but no go.." and followed with "It turns on and runs for 5-10 seconds and shuts off.". There is nothing that "runs" on the gas side. Are you saying you can hear it sparking but the gas does not ignite (you have to be outside with the door off to really tell)?? If so it could (will) be one of the gas valve solenoid coils has failed. Do a Search on "solenoid valve" and you will see some previous discussions on this failure. Here are two:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45772
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=56211

Be aware that you don't have to replace the entire gas valve (~$100) if just the coil has failed. There is a link to a coli replacement (~$9) in one of the links

In the Files Section is a Suburban Water Heater Troubleshooting Manual.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=17 It should help find the problem if it is a coil or not. .

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Okay, Ill try again. When I turn on the switch inside the RV I can hear the water heater try to light. When I am outside standing in front of the water heater, I hear the clicking of the water heater trying to light and I smell gas. It does this 3 times. There is no spark, there is no flame. Nothing lights as before. The board is brand new (unless they sold me an old one). The water heater worked for about 8 days after the board was replaced then stopped working.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Still no hot water.

I have replaced the board and replaced the entire gas valve. Same situation. When I turn on the switch inside the RV I can hear the water heater try to light/click. When I am outside standing in front of the water heater, I hear the clicking of the water heater trying to light and I smell gas. It does this 3 times then stops without lighting.

Nothing works. I guess I'm going to be forced to call in the experts, but that won't be for several weeks as we are on the road. We will be in Panama City, FL October 29, 2018. Does anyone know a reputable RV repair in that area? By the time I get it back working I could have purchased an entire new hot water heater.