Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
goxley11
Established Member

M.O.C. #20493
We like the one on our 3820FK. Let's us look out the window while having breakfast. It is work to keep it clean from the bugs but I would rather do that than have that much surface possibly fading someday on a cap without a window.

2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 DRW
goxley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #22
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by goxley11 View Post
We like the one on our 3820FK. Let's us look out the window while having breakfast. It is work to keep it clean from the bugs but I would rather do that than have that much surface possibly fading someday on a cap without a window.
I can see where a front kitchen floor plan might make sense for the window. It doesn’t work as well for a front living room layout
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
bou0146
Established Member

M.O.C. #20969
3810MS Front Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
Our new 3810MS has a big window on front over the the overhang. Has anyone had any issues with them getting damaged while traveling? Are they just as durable as the typical (non-window) front cap?

Thanks,
Bob
The front window is the same as your truck windshield, so just as tough
bou0146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #24
bou0146
Established Member

M.O.C. #20969
3810 Front window

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I can see where a front kitchen floor plan might make sense for the window. It doesn’t work as well for a front living room layout
The bugs come off the glass better than off the fiberglass. With the couch under the window inside makes it a very relaxing Master Suite
Old 08-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #25
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bou0146 View Post
The bugs come off the glass better than off the fiberglass. With the couch under the window inside makes it a very relaxing Master Suite
Yep I could see that for the front bedroom layout too. But not so much for front living room with TV in that space
Old 08-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #26
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Saw that trailer life cover ...looks like the" winterfronts" we used on our big trucks in cold country. Sure was nice on my cabover Kenworths back then.

Sorry to hear about the broken window...but will be interesting in hearing how it gets taken care of , who, how much ....hope it is shared so we can all learn.

Still working on our plan of a Sunbrella canvas with padding and easy on ,off twist snaps.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #27
bou0146
Established Member

M.O.C. #20969
Front Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Yep I could see that for the front bedroom layout too. But not so much for front living room with TV in that space
Bet that when the TV is in the front the black is only painted on the outside
Old 08-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bou0146 View Post
Bet that when the TV is in the front the black is only painted on the outside
Not sure what you mean?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #29
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
New rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
Our new 3810MS has a big window on front over the the overhang. Has anyone had any issues with them getting damaged while traveling? Are they just as durable as the typical (non-window) front cap?

Thanks,
Bob
Just FYI, when we bought our 3810 last year, there was another one on the lot that had a cracked front window. I was told it had been damaged "in transit" across the country, rock or something. I asked the service manager what it was made of, and what it cost to replace? He said it was the same material as an automotive windshield (laminated safety glass) and that the cost of the window wasn't too bad, $600.00. He said the worst of it was the shipping, which was almost as costly as the window, due to it's size and shape. Labor wise it was a couple hundred bucks. As mentioned, insurance should take care of most if not all of that.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #30
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
we love ours in a 381th, you get lots of light & a great view. After reading this thread I checked with our insurance company & its covered should it get damaged. We also have an 05 alfa toyhouse with the flip up front cap & large bedroom window, the difference is it is a regular camper window & it opens for ventilation.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #31
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuquatj View Post
I have the 3921FB and would add that while the windshield is neat to have, it also acts as a magnifying glass when facing the sun. It heats up the front bath to a point where my three A/C units can't keep it cool. And this is with the shade closed, plus I have velcroed a reflective sunshade in there. I would not buy another one.
That is odd. My window faces due west. I always have the shade down and have only had one AC on at a time, the front with the window only about 4 times. Mine is angled, curved and almost one way tinted, maybe yours isn't? BTW, it isn't because I live in Canada, we had a scorcher of a summer, one town not more than a few hours away hit 49.6C/121F and we by the ocean had weeks of mid 80's plus. If I had your situation, I would find a way to stick some of that bubble foil material on the OUTSIDE so the glass doesn't heat up so much. Good luck. Pretty soon everyone will be complaining about the cold.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #32
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Different strokes for different folks. Ours is a front living room with the front window and we really enjoy it. No problem at all with it in 3 years.

Did not read ever post, but yes, they are automobile grade. No problems with heat for us, we just pull the shade. Television is up sometimes (mostly at night), down in the day time. The extra light it lets in is nice, even if all we can see when seated are tree tops. I wish the window actually opened and had a screen. That would be fantastic, let the air blow from the direction. Window ventilation is too small anyway on all the windows. i wish the entire window opened on all of my windows for better wind flow.

When it get hot, the shade comes down. That stops a LOT of heat. Simple, easy, and doesn't cost anything.

Bugs? No problem. A long handled RV brush and a little soap and water. Can't reach the top of the window? Open the tail gait of your pick-up truck, back up to the trailer. Set a step ladder in the bed of the truck and you can easily reach the top of the window. Windex and paper towel does just fine. It's glass. Bugs come off easy.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #33
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Ours is a front living room with the front window and we really enjoy it. No problem at all with it in 3 years.

Did not read ever post, but yes, they are automobile grade. No problems with heat for us, we just pull the shade. Television is up sometimes (mostly at night), down in the day time. The extra light it lets in is nice, even if all we can see when seated are tree tops. I wish the window actually opened and had a screen. That would be fantastic, let the air blow from the direction. Window ventilation is too small anyway on all the windows. i wish the entire window opened on all of my windows for better wind flow.

When it get hot, the shade comes down. That stops a LOT of heat. Simple, easy, and doesn't cost anything.

Bugs? No problem. A long handled RV brush and a little soap and water. Can't reach the top of the window? Open the tail gait of your pick-up truck, back up to the trailer. Set a step ladder in the bed of the truck and you can easily reach the top of the window. Windex and paper towel does just fine. It's glass. Bugs come off easy.
I put RainX on when the trailer was delivered then drove from northern Ontario to Vancouver Island (2,500 miles/4,010 kms). A few bugs that came off with just a hose and nozzle set to blast. I was just re-applying this morning in fact.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #34
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have heard people going to Alaska use arobic work out mats stick to the Glass with suction cups. Then put a "Bug Banner" over that for aerodynamics.
Same for their Toad.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote