Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Winegard Slimline now a part of our Monte

I would like to know if anyone in history has done one of these jobs without getting Dicor all over everything; Paperwork, tools, the Dish, it's wiring, me, Sue.
But I did get a certain amount on the screws and base of the Dish where it should have been applied.
I ran one coax down where I had the Dome's coax, also the power supply. I ran the other Coax up front to the bedroom TV area. Haven't drilled through there yet. Will finish the job later.

Slideshow:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I will say that it sure looks purty so far Ozz! I look forward to the rest of the story (with pictures) upon completion. Good luck on the rest of your install and may the Dicor be with you!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Ozz dicor and silicone with humans are like golf balls and the great water they go where the aren't suppose to. Your install looks good and when you finish let us know and how you like it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I've used Dicor before but don't recall getting any on Sue.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Looking good Jim. I think Dicor is one of the stickies things out there. Maybe a hazmat suit would work, but might be hard to get anything done.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Ozz you will Love the Traveler Slim Line we had ours going on 2 years this Aug. And we have Direct TV also....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Ozz you will Love the Traveler Slim Line we had ours going on 2 years this Aug. And we have Direct TV also....
Do you ever find it necessary to switch from the rooftop to a tripod mounted system?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just one time in Colorado last year the only place close to Rifle, Colorado and the RV park was covered in trees... But I still take the Slime Line and the Tri-Pod..
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim,
When we had the 3400RL we had a king dome and I also carried a dish with a tripod. There were a few, and I mean few, occasions that I was parked in such a situation that I could not get a signal with the king dome so out came the tripod. I was always able to find a spot that would look up through the trees.

Now, I have just a Winegard Carryout, no roof dome. On one night stands I don't even take it out, but for two or more nights it comes out. Right now I'm in a state park and there are so many trees I probably couldn't find a spot, but fortunately DW is watching "Desperate Housewives" on OTA Digital.

So, if you have the room a portable may not be a bad idea. I drilled out the rivets on the LNB arm at the dish and put in bolts that could be removed. It made fore easier storage.

Good luck
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, I carry a portable dish also and 2 lengths of 100 foot coax for the system. When I use the portable I just feed the cables thru the entertainment center window and let 'em hang. I carry the LNB arm in the front compartment and the dish under the bed. I have had to use mine several times and actually had to buy a new LNB head as I was not getting a signal, called a service tech out and he said the head was shot. He sold me a used one, hooked it up and all was fine in my household again (if you catch my drift). We didn't worry about the LCD in the bedroom on those ocassions....Not a bad idea, if you do a lot of travelling to different places, never know what you will find when you get there....Some RV parks, like Thousand Trails, let you pick your own site. Clear view of southern sky has always been high on my list. Other parks assign you a spot and you are usually stuck with it, although I have requested another site if I am gonna be in the area for any length of time......

BTW: I have some caulking to do in my new home and hate using that stuff. I end up with it everywhere also. There should be an easier way to caulk things, but I don't know of any.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As always, good job, Ozz.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Today, I have the Direct TV installers coming back to finish the install.
Also, the video security guy is coming over to get me so we can hook up to the Internet and monitor the Casa here, while on the road. I can view the house and yard, rewind and search the recorder for incidents.
There are two of my guys coming over to help check off many of my items on the to-do list. Got to get outta here! Big day in Ozzland...
Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ozz, you asked previously about the need for a carry out dish, so I have to put my two cents in with what I experienced this weekend camping. We were at a park where the campsites are down in a bowl with large, large trees surrounding the sites. I had camped there previously (pre-Slimline) and had never been able to get a signal on the portable dish. To my amazement, the Slimline searched for a few minutes (it did take longer than usual) and then locked in one position pointed directly at the woodline where to me it appeared the signal had to be totally blocked by the trees. I go inside the rig and lo and behold, HD Directv which never flickered all weekend. To say I was impressed was an understatement. Now granted the dish was about 12 feet higher than the portable, but it still astounded me that it got a great signal through the dense canopy of trees. Bottom line, you will never know what you get until you try on a site by site basis, but I have to admit, it surprised me!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo, that reinforces my opinion on carrying the portable. There was a poll over on Escapees about the need for carrying it when you also have the Slimline, probably a 90% con from the members there.
I think I will leave it here when we go.
Pointing to your example, I am under a Walnut tree, never thought I would acquire, but got all three locked in when I powered up. Thanks for the info my friend.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Forgot to mention, that I no longer carry the portable dish either.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Aye....
The installer showed up, looked at the Rooftop Dish and said, you can't get HD with that.... I hung my dead and then said yep, you can.
I got the ladder and he climbed up to it. He told me he had to get a picture of that. I thought I was for sure in trouble.
But after he removed a big pile of splitters, wires, little boxes and a pile of Coax, he got both TV's working super. The *119 Sat would not lock on, my Walnut tree was blocking that, but it all works now. All the stuff he removed probably takes any thought of a spare Dish out of the picture, but I'm OK with that.
He said with the Slimline, I could not watch a recorded show from the main receiver on the bedroom unit. I took that with a grain of sand, since he didn't even know my dish could get HD.
Sent off the DNS form today. It was a 2-page version, I hope that's all they need; (also sent a copy of the registration.)
My 10:00 video security guy didn't show, but one out of two service calls isn't bad...