Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
No electricity

In Montana we went out for the day with my daughter. While we were gone the water pump hose came loose and flooded water all over the basement. The camp host saw the water coming out of the bottom and was able to shut off the water. When we came back My husband and son-in-law fixed the hose. Now alot of the plugs and some of the lights in the Monty don't work. It isn't all on 1 side. It is like the plug next to the stove, the plug under a cabinet, a light over the sofa, a plug under a light by the sofa but the light right above it works. Washer/Dryer work and everything in the bedroom works. It is really strange. Paul checked all the fuses and the breakers. Everything there is just fine. Right now we are making our morning coffee at the computer station...... Charging things in the bedroom etc. Oh and the electrical outlet outside that is on the livingroom side isn't working. Any ideas? We will be taking it in when we get home I guess. Found a few more little things but this one is major to us. If I didn't explain this very well please let me know. Thanks in advance. Kathi

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:13 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Did you check the GFCI outlet next to the sink in the bedroom? All of the outlets in the kitchen area are protected by that outlet in the bedroom on my 2001 3280RL. Push the reset on it and the other outlets should work.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathi, the outlet on the outside is the clue. That one is on the GFCI circuit (because it's out in the weather) as are a number of inside outlets. Often the fridge is on that circuit, too. As Don said, check the little button on the GFCI outlet next to the bathroom sink. Some models have a second outlet with button, often in the living room area although it might be anywhere.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Do they wire the GFCI's to control more than one outlet?

Dave
Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:33 AM   #5
Jeilering
Established Member

M.O.C. #509
Check your GFI reset buttons... on our 3295 '03 model the GFI in the sink bar area controls all of the kitchen and entertainment center outlets..
Jeilering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sjordan007

Do they wire the GFCI's to control more than one outlet?

Dave
Oh, yes, at least on our older electrical system. That's one of my big complaints. Far too many things on that one circuit and we tend to pop the breaker too easily. Not the one in the outlet plate, the one on the converter. Ours has on a single GFCI breaker (on converter) has the outlet at the bathroom sink, the outlet on the other side of the same wall, the patio outlet, the TV, the refrigerator, all e kitchen outlets including on the peninsula, and the outlet at the computer desk. I think they split these when they went to the better electrical system (more circuits) starting with the late 2003 models. Ours is an early 2003, naturally!
Old 07-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
The GFI reset button is on your kitchen counter outlet next to the spice cabinet on the 05 3400RL.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have tried everything. With Paul being a retired electrician (40 years) there isn't much he doesn't know about electrical. He delt with high voltage though. He says that 66 thousand is a whole lot different then residential current. We will just have to take it in when we get back from our vacation. I can tell you though it has been a real problem not being able to use alot of outlets and lights. The outlet on the outside is the one we use for my scooter. Now I can't get around till we get home. I guess we could use an extention cord to charge it though. Still it is a real bummer. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This is a longshot but it sounds like you've checked out everything else that's reasonable. Under each slide there should be a junction box. It has been known for wires to get caught during slide movement and get pulled loose inside the junction box. That happened to us but ours affected only some things in the kitchen slide. The junction box is likely mounted against the frame of the main coach. Just a longshot but at this point it might be worth checking. On ours it was not obvious until removing the junction box cover.

Good luck. This has to be very frustrating for you.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
"OldGuard",
You sent me an email message but you have my response blocked. If you have a question to ask you should have your email set to receive an answer. Please remove the block so we can respond.

Thank you,

RVWheels/Admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote