Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Water Heater Noise

While camping this past weekend the water heater started to sound like water was running through it. All water was turned off. The heater was being run on AC. I checked and the hot water had normal temperature and pressure.

I tripped the AC breaker for the water heater and the noise stopped within a few seconds. I reset the breaker and the noise started almost immediately.

I then turned the breaker off and went to bed. I turned it back on in the morning and have not heard any noise out for it for two days.

Any ideas as to what problem might be developing?

Thanks,
Craig

DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Did you check the thermal relief valve outside? They sometimes develop a weak spring and start leaking.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Ours does the same thimg. Drives wife crazy. Has not turned into a problem yet except for the noise. We use propane in our seasonal site but use electric when on the road. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Ours does the same thing too! My BIL has a Sprinter TT(Keystone) and his hot water heater makes the same noises too. My wife didnt like it either but felt better when she heard the BIL's sounded that way.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That sounds like maybe the water is boiling in the tank and not being released by the popoff valve. In any case, it should not get that hot. You might have the dealer check the thermostat. If I recall, there's something in the manual about resetting the thermostat by pressing those two black buttons. I'm not sure if this applies to this situation but you might check the manual on that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Thanks Steve. But the water was not any hotter than normal.

And at least nice to know that I am in good company should the "noise" return.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We had that same thing in our Montana. Some times it happened some times not. It was usually when we first set up and plugged into shore power. I suspect it is the water right against the heat element boiling makes a hissing sound. Gave Glub the Willey's.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it's right after hooking up to water it might be air being fed into the tank ahead of the water. You can reduce that by first running water through the hose and then hooking up the water. Helps the spitting at the faucets, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We've found that nearly all of our "new noises" since moving into the 5er have been the water heater. To date, we've identified 4 distinct noises from the WH. We are now treating this like our new hobby of bird watching. We may start a journal.....
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:43 AM   #10
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
We have a 2004, 3280 and have had the same sound since day one from our water heater. Shortly after purchasing it I took it back to the dealer and the tech said that was normal and could find nothing wrong. All the years we have had various RV's by different mfg's, this is the 1st time we have had a water heater by Suburban. In the past we have always had an Atwood which never made this sound.
Perhaps an e-mail to Suburban will help solve this question as to that unusual noise.
Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:44 AM   #11
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Try bleeding all of you lines, when you finish hooking up. Get the air out by opening all the taps one at a time. Staring with the bathroom sink, the shower, toilet and work your way back to the kitchen sink. Don`t forget the washer hook up!, the outside shower. I`ve never had any hot water tank noise. You got to get the air out and it don`t take long. I bleed every line every time, hot and cold.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Steve: Great idea of flashing our lights twice at another Montana or Mountaineer...you're right we never know who may be going the other direction.
I will try one faucet at a time the next time I hook up my water...and run water thru the hose first.
Thanks,
Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote