Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2005, 04:39 AM   #1
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Crack on exterior sidewall

Thanks for all the help on my numerous questions so far. I researched the archives for this one but couldn't find anything. Has anyone had a crack develop on the exterior sidewall front lower corner of the bedroom slide? We have the 2001 3280RL that we just bought and I was aware of the crack but felt it could be fixed easily. Has there been any history of stress cracking in this area? It isn't separating further, it is just a crack that has been there for awhile and doesn't appear to be widening. The sidewall is only about 8" wide at that point and the crack is all the way accross the panel.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
DON
I do believe that there was a problem with the side wall cracking at the bedroom slides. I think Keystone was taking care of the problem on a case by case bases. You might want to check with them.
hopfully someone that knows more then me will come along.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I also have a 2001 3280 RL and aftr a trip west on which we towed about 25k miles, I noticed a small crack in the botton front corner of the bedroom slide.
I emailed a photo to Montana and they told me to take it to a dealer and have them contact them.
They have an account set up just for this and a repair kit to take care of it.
Good luck
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Call (574) 535-2100 to get customer service. Like said above others have had this problem and montana has fixed it for them. It's worth the call to find out.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
OK!! Thanks for the info. Will give them a call and let you all know how it turns out.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
So my first contact with Keystone by phone was not very productive. The nice lady said "Since you are the second owner and your trailer is a 2001 (out of warranty)we can not help you with the problem". She did say this has been an issue and they do have a repair kit but that I would have to take it to a dealer and Keystone "unfortinately would not be able to help me with that".

Very disappointing for my first contact with Keystone!

So does anyone know if the repair kit is just cosmetic repair or is it a structural repair?

If it is cosmetic I can have it repaired locally. The nearest Montana dealer is in Redding CA (Cousin Gary's) and that is over 100 miles.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
drhowell

We have a 05 298RLS, what they have done is put a splice at that point. It looks about like a plastic splice they use on wood paneling. That way it can flex and you see no crack, I think it looks O.K. Good luck on the repair. Happy Camping Larry & LaVonne
Old 05-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Farmer Don,
I am told the crack is cosmetic. They just fix the crack with the kit. Too bad they don't do it for SECOND owners. They KNOW it is a problem and apparently even have a fund set up for it. They will lose a lot of respect for acting this way. You might try going to the next level of management and seeing if that would help.

By the way we have the crack on our rig. Still haven't taken it in of the fix. Too busy having fun.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Farmer Don,
It is truly disappointing that Keystone want step up to the plate for this problem. It is an obvious well known defect and has been corrected many times. Perhaps a call to Jeff Rank with Keystone would be in order.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:06 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
It sounds like a simple fix to allow it to flex so I won't let it bother me much at this point. It is kinda disappointing though that such a simple thing and inexpensive for Keystone to fix is not taken care of. I can probably find a 8" piece of joint strip and seal it in myself for less than $10. Not worth the effort to make the phone calls to complain.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #11
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
The repair the crack and insert an expansion joint the same as the newer models have. They have fixed this for second owners of 2001 models before. I would call again and tell them that. If you get the same reply, ask to speak to a customer service manager.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My understanding is they do a cosmetic fix, then they install the expansion joint just like the newer Montanas have at that location, and they do a check to make sure there's no frame problem in the overhang area that caused the crack. I'm really surprised they didn't fix you up. I wonder if that person you talked to is unaware of what they've done in the past. I agree with HOTR, if you get the same answer when you ask again, then I would ask to speak to a manager and tell them you understand they have been fixing this for second owners for quite awhile.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #13
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Farmer Don

I have the same unit as you have.I to had the crack in the bed room slide.For me it was a major fix.Lucky I was under warrenty at the time.This was only a few weeks ago.They had to take off the front fiberglass cap-beef up the frame around the slide-replace the fiberglass around the slide.The dealer told me if they knew what was involved they would have probably would have sent it back to the factory.All is fine now.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our rig experienced the same problem around the bedroom slide and the entertainment slide. Rig was four years old and Keystone repaired it at no cost to us. Give customer service a call and ask to talk to Lon Nelson. He'll take care of you.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #15
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I picked up 8' of the "T" molding for less than 4 bucks at River City RV in Medford OR today. Only needed about 6" but for $4 I didn't want to haggle. So now all I have to do is repair the old diagonal crack and make a new verticle one install the "T" molding and it is done.

Tried various methods to get help from Keystone but my phone bill will be more than the cost to fix it myself. Noticed the 2005 Everest has the same flex joint so Keystone has acknowledged the issue on the newer models.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #16
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our 2001 2955RL had the same crack, which Keystone repaired under warranty. It is a stress crack and should be repaired. They just relieve the stress by cutting the fiberglass vertically under the slide at the corner and putting a little piece of molding over it. The crack should be sealed to keep any moisture from getting into the fiberglass. The dealer just painted over ours and it opened up again so Bob sealed it with a good marine caulk (3M 5200) but any good caulk would do. This was a manufacturing/design defect, was quite prevelant in 2001 and Keystone should fix it.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:16 AM   #17
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Just received a package from Keystone with a piece of the Plastic (KRV # 150066) "T" trim and the SERVICE ADVISORY # 04-040 "Initial Bedroom Slide-out Stress Crack Repair Procedure".

Apparently in response to my e-mails since I didn't get anywhere with my phone calls. They must have picked up my mailing address from the MOC site?

Since someone from Keystone (maybe Jeff) is obviously looking at MOC I want to thank them for at least responding and sending the advisory and trim piece.

Now if they could address the shackle problems it would be GREAT! I have already replaced mine as many have but there should be some SERVICE ADVISORY or partial compensation or something from Keystone that recognizes there "MAY" be a problem.

I have only owned my Monty for 4 weeks but I "LOVE IT" and am begining to gain respect for Keystone that I had lost with my initial contact to customer service.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:29 AM   #18
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Don,
I doubt very much if they got your address from MOC. I don't recall that an address was required to join the group. It is great that they got the advisory and part to you though no matter how they found you.

I hope you can make it down to the lake this weekend for a visit with the MOC crowd. It might be to your advantage if you came around Saturday afternoon and hung out through the potluck. We're strapping on the feed bag about 5:30 and I'm sure there will be plenty to go around.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drhowell
[
Now if they could address the shackle problems it would be GREAT!
Don, I just posted, in a new thread, pictures of the new shackles being used on the new Montanas. The picture was taken today during our Montana factory tour.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #20
Montana_3845
Established Member

M.O.C. #3845
I ALSO HAVE THE PROBLEM, BUT WATER GETTING IN THE CRACK HAS DETEORITATED THE WOOD BEHIND . I HAD TO CUT OUT A 4X15 INCH
SECTION AND REPLACE THE WOOD BEHIND, I FOUND THAT THE CRACK OPEND UP UNDER PRESSURE WHEN HITCHED. I LEFT AN EXPANSION JOINT VERY liKE THE KEYSTONE fix and filled it with EXCEL clear caulking which is very elastic.
Montana_3845 is offline   Reply With Quote