Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Report on First "Long Trip" in our RV & w/Solar

We picked up our 3160RL late August last year and got our for four 2-3 night weekend trips last year but last week we did our first "long trip" of 9 nights with the rig. I know that's a short trip for many of you The trip was in 2 different state parks and a national forest park.

Overall we were very happy with the unit and being in it for a longer trip. It was a good test of being in the unit a lot as the weather was pretty rough a good part of the week. Other than 2 days in the high 60s, we dealt with 30-40 mph winds 2 days, a thunderstorm, sleet, lows in the 30s and 20s, etc. The unit worked well, we stayed warm and dry vs the old days of tent camping, and enjoyed the trip.

Items of interest was that considering the temps, we stayed warm and went through ~40-45 lbs of propane which seemed good considering the low temps and winds. During the real cold nights, low/mid 20s, I put the outdoor temp sensor from our weather station in the storage belly near the convenience center to see how well the belly kept warm. When we had the unit at 65 during the night, the belly was ~48-49 degrees so no worries about freezing.

This was our first trip to work try out the solar and inverter system I just installed. Though we never went fully off grid, I got a chance to try it out for all DC usage and several times running just on the batteries. Overall everything worked as planned. Even with the bad weather, we saw good power from the panels (saw ~450W one time and we weren't in the rig on the real sunny days) and it worked well to keep the batteries topped off. I did ID some lights that I need to switch to LEDs, over the island and the dinette table, as we use them a lot and they draw much more than the LED lights. A nice perk was when we got home and were cleaning out the rig, my wife went to use the vacuum and we hadn't hooked up to the AC at home and I just had to flip on the inverter vs having to dig out the 50 cord and adapters to just run the vac.

We also got a chance to see how long we can go on the fresh water tank and the black tank. We went 5 days on the fresh water and had a day or so left still without doing much conservation. We went 7 nights on the black tank before dumping with no worries. Of course the black tank sensors are now stuck reading 2/3rd full even after flushing it some. No surprise there - we'll try cleaning more each usage and see if they clean themselves off.

Only issues we found were during the cold nights it seems like the black tank heat pad doesn't work - no change in DC or AC current draw (need to check to ensure I didn't pull a wire from the panel when I did the solar) and when we were using the level up on the cold days we moved, the breaker is tripping - probably needs to be upgraded to the 80A breaker.

We definitely think we made the right choice on the unit, the solar system looks good, and are getting it closer to feeling like home. Found a few places we want to add some hooks, tweaks to where we store some items, etc - nothing major.

Time for more adventures!

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad your solar is doing the job and that your trip went well. Mudchief mentioned to me a year or so ago that the LCD TV drew a lot more than an LED TV so if you're looking to cut amp draw and watch a lot of TV like we do that may be your answer. We really love the freedom a large solar system gives you and as time goes by you'll find more and more vacuum type moments in your future.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
I'll have to check the tv draw. I don't think we used it any of the times I was on just batteries experimenting. I did add switched plugs on the bedroom and exterior tv as they are less used to reduce their phantom draw. We do use the main tv a fair amount when it's too cold to be outside in the evenings. I also want to add a couple satellite speakers to the stereo so I don't have to always have AC for the sound bar too as we listen to the stereo a lot while cooking/eating meals and playing cards.

I did have an alarm on the solar charge controller, alarm 21, which is a data logging error. After talking with Morningstar, I need a software update (new version has been out since Oct-2014 but they are just getting ready to release it to production - grrrrrr). They said if I'm not using their MS Vierw or looking back at logs, which I'm not at the moment as I don't have a laptop, I don't need to do the update.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
We have a switch for our tank heaters in the convenience center. Maybe yours were turned off?
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
No switch there. The fresh and gray worked. Our switches are in the main control panel area

Old 04-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Glad you had a good trip. You will love the solar system. We boondock a lot but sometime we do stay in parks where you have to pay for the electric power and rather than using there power we just run off of solar.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote