Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2004, 03:26 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Shower Sky Light

The sky light in our shower is scratched. Is there a spray or paint available that will allow me to re-coat the scrathced area with the same effect....

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Montana_1577
Established Member

M.O.C. #1577
If the scratch isn't too deep, you can get a plastic polish that works really well. I've used it on everything from motorcycle windshields to plastic headlight lenses. Wel-Mart sells it in their automotive section. I think it's made by Blue Coral. Just keep in mind that it won't work miracles. It's primarily for light "haze-type" scratching.
Montana_1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If it's the part that's painted - Krylon Fusion paint for plastic is GREAT !! Remove the inner bubble and paint the side that faces up. Our previously owned TT was painted on the side facing inside - not a brilliant design !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Go to a honda dealer they sell scratch remover for there Gold Wing windshields if scrached
And the darn squerls are still watching me shower, who ever thought of that IDEA at Keystone, I cant sleep in late because the light comes in at day brake. you cant put in one of those vent pillows, how about a window shade with a hook on it.

TT2
Old 07-06-2004, 04:52 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Easy fix for the "peeping squerls" and too much light for sleeping in. Also keeps temp down in hot weather. Take a scrap of the aluminized window reflectors (used for blocking light and sold by tha roll at CW) and cut to size. Edge with duct tape (if you fail to do this, the material rips upon first removal from skylight). Apply self stick hook and loop (VELCRO) bits on the corners and on corresponding corners of shower frame. Apply as needed. Works like a charm, costs next to nothing and now I have probably lost my chance to make a million in the RV accessory industry!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie

Easy fix for the "peeping squerls" and too much light for sleeping in. Also keeps temp down in hot weather. Take a scrap of the aluminized window reflectors (used for blocking light and sold by tha roll at CW) and cut to size. Edge with duct tape (if you fail to do this, the material rips upon first removal from skylight). Apply self stick hook and loop (VELCRO) bits on the corners and on corresponding corners of shower frame. Apply as needed. Works like a charm, costs next to nothing and now I have probably lost my chance to make a million in the RV accessory industry!!
Good idea Bill I'll try it.
TT2
Old 07-07-2004, 03:49 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Hmm.... thanks for the info! I will have to try it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:29 AM   #8
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Great idea about the skylight in the shower area, however, it seems to me Keystone should have put some sort of a "tinted" skylight there during production. I plan on mentioning to them during the factory tour of too much heat and early morning light from that skylight the way it is now.
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Friends of ours have a Newmar that has a shade that You can pull across the skylight. I would think it would be a hassle to keep clean with the humidity from the shower.

I plan to make a sunshade for mine also, I bought a cheap windshield protector from Wal-Mart to cut up for the shade, about $5. I am also going to use a piece to make a shade for the entry door.

I do like the clear glass(plastic) in the skylight, unless I am showering mid-day and the sun is blaring in, the shade will fix that though.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:18 AM   #10
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
NJ Hillbilly,
The skylight shade in a Newmar works great, spent some time in one last week. It has a couple of guides similar to day-nite shades and magnets to hold it closed. Opens and closes easily. Could be a cleaning problem as you say.
Montana_1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:33 AM   #11
Montana_1603
Established Member

M.O.C. #1603
Saw one that had a piece of foam cut to the right shape and just tucked up into the skylight. This one was parially see-through and so let in some light. Looked like it worked really well. Especially in the southern states and during storage to keep the UV to a minimum.
Montana_1603 is offline   Reply With Quote