Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
I sell RVs for a living and my customer's tow vehicle has to be rated for the unit he wants or he can buy from another sales consultant. So far all my customers agree with me. The people that build and rate these vehicles do know more than the "never had a problem" crowd.

Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #22
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Don, you are doing the right thing, telling them to come back with a bigger TV. But I would have to say you are a minority when it comes to telling the customer the truth instead of selling them a 40' trailer and a 18k hitch to go in there light duty p-up. Our local dealer would be included as I was naive once too and they installed a hitch for our 37' coachmen in our half ton p-up we had at the time. It wouldn't even get to 55 on a half mile straight away, let alone pull any hills. And stopping was another story. Thank God the trailer had good electric brakes.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Although Helen and I worked the RV shows for several dealers there was only one dealer who insisted we be absolutely honest with the customer when it came to the "can I pull this camper with my truck" question. The general feeling was that it is the customers responsibility to find that information.. The salesmans responsibilty is to make the sale. Which is why we will not sell Rv's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
I don't need my commission to buy groceries or to pay my mortgage so I do have an advantage over a salesperson that does. I can afford to be honest and I only started my new sales career at 58 years of age. I do have to deal with people that were sold tow vehicles by salespeople that misinformed them about the ratings. We have binders with the tow ratings of every vehicle available in the USA and Canada. These are model, engine, and option specific. Options that effect tow ratings are differential ratios, tow packages, etc. I can show my customers their exact tow rating. Last month I had a guy come in with an 04 Toyota Tundra that he had just bought from a jerk that told him he could haul a large fifth wheel. I was able to find him a light weight travel trailer and he was grateful. More states and provinces are looking at the weight issues involved with RVs and who in their right mind would want to take a chance in an area where safety, insurance, and lawyers are all involved.
Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote