Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Thor layoffs

Thor announced that its 2nd quarter sales dropped 62 percent. Keystone RV Co. in Goshen, Indiana informed 350 workers Monday that they will be laid off in April. Jayco Inc. in nearby Middlebury, told more than 250 workers that they will be out of work in two weeks. And out West in Oregon, it looks now like Wells Fargo Bank is about to repossess assets from Country Coach to repay it for an unpaid $8 million loan. Wells Fargo and Country Coach both agree that the privately held RV maker is in default. Country Coach is in such dire straits that it is reportedly unable to pay even its electric bill; employees, fearing the worst, have been emptying their lockers.

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Far be it from me to suggest any doom and gloom. I tried to ignore it as suggested but it happened anyhow. We have not seen the worst yet. Unemployment in the Ft Myers, Fl area is above 10%. It is becoming doubtful that any American RV manufacturer will survive. Can even the strongest survive another quarter or maybe two of this????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
A high Government offical will go to Goshen next week and everything will be fine. I feel for the workers its not their fault. Who's is that, why did this happen? What is the answer and how does it get fixed? I don't think this is doom and gloom its just a fact. Common sense isn't being used, just throw trillions at the problem and it will go away or will it. I do know before the end of 2010 I will remove my regular IRA and pay the tax then, because after 2010 tax will go up big time. I made a mistake in delaying my taxes. Want happen again. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
An RV dealer here has several Open Road units by Pilgrim International. They said they will provide a five year warranty (dealer). I didn't think the prices they had on the fivers were that attractive, to be units from a bankrupt company. I was told elsewhere that lending institutions will not finance them. Guess they'll be on the lot a while longer.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I don't think this is to far off topic. We have been negotiating trading in our Monty for a new model. All is well with the dealer if we buy outright and sell our rig on our own. If he takes our rig in on trade (BTW it an 08) his offer is so below wholesale it is not close to being sensible. This is the same dealer where we bought our rig.

This leads me to think that the dealer does not want trade-ins and an order from the factory is ok, it leaves him with no stake except what is put down on the order. He also has very little new inventory on the lot and none of the model I would order. Looks like red flag time for me. Perhaps any of us considering ordering a new rig might think about if the dealer will be there for us after the purchase. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 AM   #6
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I sure wouldn't want to purchase a RV built by workers who have been told they are going to be laid off in two weeks to two months. It has been proven over and over, in industry, that if you are going to have to lay off workers, announce it, do it immediately, get it over with and hopefully not have to do it again later on. Employee moral and work quality drops through the floor during this period. The RV industry doesn't start at a high enough level of quality to have it drop even more.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nothing is selling .The dealer would be stuck with a trade in that would not sell. The smart dealer would have very little or no inventory and only do factory orders ,shy away from trade in's or give far below wholesale and sell at auction.That would be good business. You will have a hard time selling as folks do not have the funds for luxuries. The dealer may consider a consignment sell although that may leave you with two campers for a long time. The only good buy now is if you have cash money or good credit and no trade.
Dean is correct about conditions in the factories with the workers expecting a pink slip at any time. My guess is that some companies have gone out of business or into bankruptcy in order to salvage something and return when conditions improve,and they will. RV plants and equipment will be had at bargin basement prices in the future.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When the company I worked for after my military career lays off people, they give them their notice and then walk them to the door. There is no chance for them to do anything that might be considered destructive or morale breakdown.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Just a guess on my part, but I think the only thing that is keeping his country going at this time is the retirees and a very few others. Our leaders, traveling around the country telling everyone how bad it is, is not the way to get this problem fixed. Stay in DC and fix it. How long can we, the retirees keep this country going? Just blowing off a little steam. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote