Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Going Home - To The Stick House

Well, we had a call this morning from our neighbor and the electricity to our house came back on last evening. Hmmm! If I wait a few days, the garbage in the freezer will freeze and be easier to handle, right?

Heck, it didn't take a few days. My very, very good neighbor across the street went into the house and emptied the freezer and refrigerator. He said the freezer was going to have to be taken outside because the frozen stuff that had leaked a little was now frozen to the inside of the freezer.

We will be heading home on Thursday and should be there by mid afternoon. I'm going to owe that young neighbor for a long, long time.

Colleen, we'll be seeing you!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Best of luck going home. Hope most of your problems are over and it will not be too hard to "field day the house."
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad you are able to return. Glad you have something to return to. I have some friends in Baycliff and Kemah that lost it all.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow! Just so happened that my wife's sister was on her way over at the same time my neighbor was there and they got together and cleaned up, except for the frozen water in the freezer. I told them to leave it and I'll haul it outside, defrost it, and clean it good.

It's nice to have neighbors and in-laws like that.

Leaving Austin in the morning. We like Austin. We'll be back.

Edited: DW's knee has been acting up again, so will get her back to her surgeon next week for sure.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We are now located at the stick house. DW and I wanted to stay away and travel, but needed to come here.

All is well. Lots and lots of branches down throughout the city. My back yard still needs to be cleaned up - some day. The refrigerator was spotless thanks to my sister-in-law (Glad she's good for something - just kidding, just kidding). The freezer needs more smell eradication. I guess that is because it refroze when the electricity came on but that also kept the smell down to a reasonable level. My neighbor who helped empty the freezer had a respirator, but only used Vicks smeared around his mouth and nose area instead of the respirator.

God is good. Friends are nice to have also.

The S.O.B. goes into the shop today. Just like every other new recreational vehicle there are problems. Two major ones that I need to get taken care of: Hydraulic levelers not holding pressure (more than likely a check valve), and the seal on the long slid, bedroom end, pops out when opening or closing the slide. A bunch of little minor items to be taken care of, but all-in-all not to bad for a maiden voyage. Well, except where I scraped it - darn.

Y'all have a nice day now, ya' hear!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:[i]...Well, except where I scraped it - darn.

Y'all have a nice day now, ya' hear!!!
Wayne, tell us about it, I know that had to hurt just a tad!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, I posted somewhere else, but here it is in summary:

On evacuation night I pulled into the CG about 2200 (11 p.m.) and it was, of course, very dark. I knew approximately where my site was and that I need to go to the turn-around. I made my wide swing but there was a truck parallel parked and I had to stop, back up, and readjust my turn slightly, like maybe a foot to clear. In doing so it readjusted my MH attitude and the CG had put in 3" pipe filled with cement on the very inside edge of the turn-around. The bottom storage door, about mid center, caught the pipe, knocked it over, and dented the bottom of the door, and scraped a little more on the exact bottom. All kind of things go through my mind as to what I could have done to avoid this "disaster." Besides my stupidity.

I talked to a body damage repairman today and he is going to fix it in his off time. He said I did not want to replace the door as they are about $2000 each. Since it is aluminum he said he can straighten it out and make it like new.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I missed the other posting you had mentioned. Sounds like you're going to come out of this ok. It’s fortunate that you know someone that will fix it for you.

I remember being in a tight CG with the MH we had once. It isn't a fun experience at all. I was turning onto a lane and it was a small park where everyone was crammed in. I thought I was going to take out the side of a truck parked on the edge of a turn. Fortunately I missed it but when I seen it in my mirror it didn't look very good. I learned to watch the back end when it swings out. It can catch you real quick.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
So glad you have things taken care of. Good neighbors are hard to find.
We also have a nice next door neighbor. He clears our driveways of snow every winter.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Wayne,

Thanks for the call the other day letting me know that you are home. I had two calls going at the same time, and another one beeping in. I was standing on Surfside Beach with the wind blowing. We got electricity back on Friday night. Sure is nice having 50 AMP service, and not having to go out at 10 PM to add gas to the generator. It is good that we now have one and can use it at the house if we lose power, or if some one drops by with an RV they can park in our drive and have power.

We will be in touch when things slow down a little.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Colleen,
Please do give a call when you have some time. Lunch or dinner would be another nice sit-down chat time. We have some inexpensive Mexican restaurants here in TC with good food, and other restaurants in the area that are nice also.

Give a holler when time permits.

Edited: p.s., If you need directions to anything, or places to go, let me know. I've always been able to tell people "where to go!"

Double Edit: As a matter of fact, I have been told that I multitask quite well. I'm able to talk and tick people off at the same time.

Triple Edit: Oh! And I'm sure that I multitask when I type also!!!!