Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #21
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Retrax. I have not looked at that one. I will have to try to investigate it.

Ron, did you have much storm damage to deal with when you returned from North Platte

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #22
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike- Quite a bit! We lost 6 trees and had hail damage to the roof, siding and gutters. We will also have to replace two windows. It didn't break them out but hit the edge of the glass and cracked one and broke the seal on the second. Also have to replace three sections of the garage doors on the house since large limbs came and ran into them and dented them. Glad the Monte wasn't at home when it hit! We park it in the driveway when at home and it would have taken the blunt of a lot of branches and hail!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #23
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Here are a few more photos of our bed cover. I have no interest in this company it just happened to be the one I bought.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #24
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the pictures Bill, I can see it a lot better now in relati0nship to my 5er and how I want to be able to use it.

It looks like the retrax is about $500 less than the cover I had been looking at. I will need to keep looking a little while it looks like.

Ron, while it doesn't sound pretty, I am glad it was not as bad as it could have been. I need to cut a tree down where I store my 5er before it gets blown down. I am afraid it is just above my skill leve.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have an Extang RT, it rolls all the way to the rear window, so you can see over it to hook up...it's also water tight: http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A1073A0A0.aspx
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #26
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I currently have a Truxcedo (sp) which is very similar to the Extrang. I am trying to get away from that because I want to be able to have the bed partially covered while the 5er is hooked up so that my generators are not exposed to public view.

Ron, does your cover mount on top of the bedrails?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #27
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

I currently have a Truxcedo (sp) which is very similar to the Extrang. I am trying to get away from that because I want to be able to have the bed partially covered while the 5er is hooked up so that my generators are not exposed to public view.
A couple of 4" wood working clamps from Harbor Freight are considerably cheaper than a new cover. Several of us use the clamps to hold the partially rolled up cover at any point you like. Clamp the cover to the TruXedo mounting rail on each side. You are then good to go. Even freeway speeds doesn't bother it. Best of all, it covers the load, protects the contents from rain, and keeps prying eyes from seeing everything in the bed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #28
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have been looking at covers also and like the Jack Rabbit better then the Re-trax because it is flat and the Re-trax sticks up some and the Monty could hit it and if you bent the track. I will say that Pace Edwards are sure proud of their covers.I still am looking.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #29
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Has anybody looked at this one?

www.Peragon.com
Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #30
deepskyridge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8711
No worries with the re-trax, I have one and it does not get in the trailers way at all. You can lock it in any position between completely open and completely closed. I will take a picture tonight and post tomorrow.

Gary
deepskyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #31
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

Are those what I would call C-clamps?
Mike: the truck is in the shop for service. When I get it back, I will take some pictures for you. Here is a link to the spring clamp (not C-clamp) so you can see what it looks like.

http://ww4.harborfreight.com/zcom/product/Product.do?compid=100&itemNumber=39530

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sorry Mike! We were out at the farm and Camp Calvin Crest Retreat Center for the weekend. They celebrated their 50th Anniversary and we were there because my Dad was on the first committee that found the property and established the camp back in 1958!
In answer to your question-- yes, the unit fits on top of the truck rails but only stands about 1/2 inch or less above them. I see by another post that there will be some pictures coming of one of the other MOCr's that has the Retrax also. The website is the best picture I can give you and like he said" You can open it up anywhere (from front to back) and lock it where ever you like along the bed of the truck! Thus concealing or covering your generator/s if needed.
I'm going to be getting a seal that you put around the tailgate to stop or cut down any dust from coming into the bed of the truck also when you have the Retrax completley closed. I especially need this since I'm traveling on country/gravel roads while out at the farm. It does not come in from the cover but comes in arouond the tailgate sides and bottom.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Got the DVD from them today and a price. Not bad at all. I talked to Randy at Re-Trax and asked about the rails. His quote was that they can be straighten with pliers or something similar and new ones are 140 bucks. Price was from the factory was 999 + shipping 46 bucks. Easy to install. DW will be great help. They show someone standing on it but NOT this not so small around person. Any questions just go to their web site and get the DVD.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote