Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Bed Cover

I am thinking of getting a different bed cover. I have been looking (on the internet) at the Paul Edwards Jackrabbit cover. Does anybody have that cover and do you have the full metal or the other one. What has been your experience with it. If it is not asking too much, what did you pay for it?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Nice looking cover, Mike. I cannot find one that will fit up to my low profile tool kit. I like the way the Jackrabbit works, at least in the pictures.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a pricey cover. We had the folds-A-Cover and we liked it but it folded up to high and blocked our view of the hitch when hitching. We now have a regular vinyl/whatever cover and it is OK but we are not satisfied with it.. If I had to do it over I would get a cover like the one you mention or similar.They are expensive but I believe the best solution.. We have a under the rail cargo box and it would fit under that cover.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had the Roll-N-Loc installed on my F350 and love it. It takes up about 8 inches wide and 10 inches deep against the back of the bed, but it fit's flush with the side rail. With a Reese 18K, I reversed the release handle so it was pointing down. It was still easy to release. After unhooking, I used two rubber bungees opposing each other to keep the hitch level and flat. The Roll-n-Loc operated very well with this configuration.

When towing, the cooler was up near the back of the bed. When not towing and using the cover, the cooler was at the rear of the truck. It's nice to be able to lock the cover if only for the piece of mind. The cover is supposed to withstand a couple hundred poinds, but I would not test it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The only difference we could find with Jack Rabbit and Roll-n-Lock was the Jack Rabbit had aluminum tracks instead of plastic, making it strong enough to stand on, but priced accordingly. I've never made the commitment to install one yet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I had the Jack Rabbit on an earlier truck (now have fold-a-cover)-- the JackRabbit worked like a charm except when iced up. Not many days like that but the few that were are still memorable. The fold-a-cover I smack, ice breaks off and I'm able to open either the front panel or back panel and use the bed space accordingly. Wife, looking over my shoulder, said to be positive on the JackRabbit because I'm actually looking to change back to one -- lifting the fold-a-cover is a royal pain as well, the slide it forward and lock every 12 inches or so is great....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have had the roll n lock on the 350 since 2001 and it works great. I have a 20K Reese and it goes over it fine to close.
The cover is metal with black vinyl over it. The rails are aluminum with nylon slides. When we have the Montana hitched I close it to the hitch and it covers the bikes we carry in front of the hitch.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh yeah! On the long bed there are 4 positions that you can lock the Roll-n-Loc into; All the way back, just behind the hitch, just in front of the hitch (when not towing) and fully closed.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We have the roll-n-lok on our short bed f250 and love it as it has 4 stop points and we tow with it closed 1 knotch so some stuff is dry all the time sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the input. I am still looking. The best installed price I can find is around $1800. I like the fact I can have my generators against the cab and have a cover over it so it is out of sight.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - I had a quote of $850 installed (jackrabbit) at the RV show early spring this year.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I put a Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit cover on my F350 and love it. Ordered it on the internet for about $1100, free shipping, and no tax. But I don't remember now who I ordered it from. I do remember checking several different sites with prices that varied by as much as $400. My son and I installed it in about an hour.
http://www.pace-edwards.com/fullmetal_jr.html
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
We have a "Fold-A-Cover" on our truck. I like it very well.
Check it out here.. http://www.foldacover.com/

Old 08-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
deepskyridge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8711
I have a retrax on my F-350 and love it.

Keeps the bed (8') dry.

Gary
deepskyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Can the Fold A Cover be opened only to the 5th wheel or must it be 75% open. It looks like it cannot just be opened half way.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
It needs to be open all the way. The way it is hinged doesn’t allow it to be open half way. The web site where I placed a link has an animation movie that shows how it opens and the positions it will go through; just click on “see it in action!” This might give a better understanding on how versatile it really is.

One advantage is that when you need the truck bed there are only four bolts to remove in order to lift the whole top right off. It isn’t too heavy to lift off either. Mine opens like in the animation but my tail gate has a different type piece on it not the larger flat piece showing in the animation.

It also locks on both ends and the piece which is installed on the tail gate locks the tail gate from being opened. Hope this helps!

http://www.foldacover.com/
Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #17
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I have had my Fold-A-Cover for almost 4 years now. All in all I have been happy with it, but I have also experienced some issues. It does dent fairly easily from hail. The rubber seals over the piano hinges didn't last long in our high altitude. My truck does sit outside all the time, all seasons however. The seals lasted about 3 years. They do make a replacement kit for them, but you have to drill out all the rivets that hold the panels together and redo them. The kit is only about $35.00. I experienced some slight delamination of a couple of my panels. Again, I think a problem of excess sun and weather here. All this said and done, FAC was very helpful and accomodated me very well with the price of a new replacement cover this summer. It is the new design with improved lock setup at the tailgate, and has improved powder coating on the rails and other metal parts. I still haven't found a cover I like better for my needs.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #18
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hi Mike! If we would have walked over to my truck in North Platte you could have seen the cover we have on our Chevy! It's a RETRAX and it covers the hitch and all. I rotate the one handle for disconnect 180 degrees when I close the cover but while I'm hitched up the cover slides all the way to the front of the bed. It does take up about 6" of the front of the bed for storage but leaves space under the roll up box to put tools or whatever. You can open it to any position on the bed you want and lock it into that position with the snap of the locking handle. It's made of all aluminum- tracks and all. It is just clamped on for easy removal if needed also. I don't have the website but I know it is on the web. They say you can even stand on it when it it closed. With my lead bottom I'm not sure but they say you can anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #19
barbwaines
Established Member

M.O.C. #6201
Have you looked at the ReTrax? We have one and love it. Easy to operate and very strong and secure.
barbwaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I recently purchased a BAK Rollbak cover for my 08 F350SB. it is all alum. allows full length of bed use under it (it is about 8 inches deep) I also have a BED RUG. I really like both. This cover has no exterior locks to freeze up, it locks inside so you need a locking tailgate. I ordered both from Truck ADDons. Quick delievery pretty easy to install by myself. Just have to study instructions carefully. Cost was about $875 shipped.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote