Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Problems-top and bottom

We just pulled the Monty about 1200 miles from Gettysburg to the Outer Banks, NC and back! The first day I blew out the steel belts on the front left Monty tire (tires are 5 years old but look like new). No problem as I change the tire to the spare tire. About 40 miles more on the PA turnpike, I blew out the second steel belt tire on the left back! Now with NO SPARE I have to call the turnpike road service. Of course it is a Sunday and NO tire stores are open, so about one and a half hours later the towing service comes with a new tire...that cost me $412! Afraid the other two curbside tires would blow, I replaced ALL four tires in Gettysburg...$831! The rest of the trip was uneventful...almost! The reason I am writing this is to WARN MONTANA OWNERS about a fuel stop on my return trip. I stopped in the Chesapeake Rest Stop in Maryland (Route 95) on the outside pump aisle of the Sunoco Service stop. There was no height measurements stated anywhere near the last three islands. I knew that I was close...yes, you guessed it! The roof of the station slanted and I ripped part of the AC cover off upon leaving! The AC was not damaged but if ANY OF YOU TRAVEL THAT ROAD AND STOP AT THAT SERVICE AREA...PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF THE MONTY! Obviously the service station roof is NOT 12 foot 11 inches!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Our 3400rl with the second ac measures 13'3"
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry to hear of your problems, Art. I hope many others read your post. We all need know that tires can blow even when they look OK. Five years is about the life time of these tires. All four of the blowouts (tire separations) I have had have occurred in the summer and pretty much as you have described. That is one reason I now have the Pressure Pro tire pressure monitors. They will not prevent flats, but might help minimize damage from the flailing tire carcass.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Art,
Stiles is right, 5 years is all you can expexct from trailer tires. You didn't mention any damage from the blow out. I have had a blown tire tear out plumbing and wireing too. Now you have the problem soved with 4 new tires.
Better luck next trip,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Jerry,
I didn't sustain any OTHER damage except the skirting was ripped off upon the first blowout! Of course that is another $200. But it could have been worse!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The highest point of our 063 400 is 13' 3'' and that is the vent cover over the bathroom fan. Tne front A/C is on the downslope and a bit lower than that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, maybe I best remeasure ours. When it was new I measured it at 12'10" to the highest point. In this part of the country I need to be sure of that measurement. There are lots of "lower" bridges around here and where we're headed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I met up with H. John Kohl at Roamers, he was nice enough to go up on my roof and measure with a level laser, and me on the ground with the tape measure. Now I do have to say that I replaced the Mission tires with Michelin that are just a little bit taller. My high point was 13' 5". I never went under anything under 13' 6".

Talking to a bridge inspector, he said that there was a 2" leeway on bridge height. Yeah! Right!

Edited: The highest point was the King Dome the dealer installed.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote