Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Hydrogen from water and getting 30mpg on diesel

Last nites Albany DH had an article on making hydrogen from water and baking soda and says he is getting 30mpg on his Dodge diesel. He got this off the internet and I am doing more checking. Anybody else checked this out.
bob

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Plenty of "Water + Fuel" projects out there on the internet. Just waiting for one to go "mainstream" and actually save money (and time).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I posted on this subject awhile back. Was told it was "snake oil". So we just decided to move where we won't burn much diesel. My son is waiting for a report from someone back in East TX who has a Mason jar HHO generator on a small pickup. We shall see.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Can hydrogen be separated from water? Yes. Is it easy to do? No. Is it economical to do? No. It takes more energy to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen than you can get from the hydrogen that is freed. If it was an easy thing to do we'd have no energy problem.

So technically it can be done. Economically it does not pay for itself. One of these days someone may actually discover an economically viable process. We can only hope that it is soon.

Until then beware the snake oil sales pitches! If you do find some system that works please share it with your MOC friends.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
In San Antonio,TX there is a large auto repair shop, Cambridge Auto Repair I believe is the name. The owner is very respected in this area and has a talk show regarding auto repair on KTSA 55 AM Saturday and Sunday afternoon. He has worked with this program for sometime with success. It is still in the test stage even though he has the set up on one of his personal cars. Mileage has improved significantly and all appears positive.
It looks like the changeover will cost around $1,500....it is not for sale at this time. This does seem to be a good program opposed to some on the internet using mason jars.
I for one hope it will prove successful.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I think I'll wait for some infrastructure to be in place before switching to a Hydrogen fuel cell. Just as early Diesel cars like the VW Rabbit had to search for the local Diesel pump so will the new fuel cell vehicle driver. Even if an engine is rigged to burn a blend of Diesel and hydrogen I'd not offer my under warranty motor to the experiment.

Just a few things from basic high school chemistry and history - Hydrogen is extremely flammable. Remember the Hindenburg? Hydrogen can be created by separating water's oxygen atoms from the Hydrogen atoms via electrolysis but it takes 5 times the storage space for Hydrogen to get the equivalent amount of energy of gasoline. The pure Oxygen byproduct is corrosive and is also unstable.

Making Hydrogen using baking soda is not entirely accurate. Baking soda(sodium bicarbonate) will not produce hydrogen but it can be created using washing soda (sodium carbonate) which is a water softener, food additive and is used in taxidermy to strip flash off bone. Who'd wanna play with that?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Well I did contact the diesel truck owner who lives in Lebanon who is using this system and he referred me to the website water#4gas.com Lots of posts.Apparently the first write up was in paper was in Feb that was why I did not see it. He suggests one going to the website and downloading info. There are two different people listed in article. It will be interesting to read all the posts both pro and con.. IE "The world is Flat, not round"
bob
Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blarkman,

Can you post a link that works? I tried the one you listed in your post and it did not work. I'd like to read more about this process.

Thanks,

HamRad
Old 07-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There is an outfit here in Ontario that equips commercial trucks with a hydrogen generator to improve their diesel fuel economy. Diesel is still the prime fuel, but supposedly injecting some hydrogen improves milage, but only by small percentage, but small percentages add up in the commercial trucking industry. I'll see if I can find the website.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hamrad, here is the site I found..

http://water4gas.com/2books.htm

Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dennis,

Thanks. I tried going to that link and everything froze up on me. Thanks anyway.

Dennis
Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Here's another interesting site. That site is a distributor for MagDrive.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hey Will,

You got a $1k to give me? I'll check it out for you.

I think I'll wait until this technology has proven itself. I'd like to see the Mythbusters do a show on this. I like their approach to things like this.

Thanks for the link.

Dennis
Old 07-25-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Hey Will,

You got a $1k to give me? I'll check it out for you.

I think I'll wait until this technology has proven itself. I'd like to see the Mythbusters do a show on this. I like their approach to things like this.

Thanks for the link.

Dennis
Ha! That's why I moved to Rockport a couple days ago. I don't send my bucks to anyone for unproven products. Maybe it'll work. Maybe it won't. I'll wait for the proof also.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:41 AM   #15
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Thanks Dennis, I had just went to water#4gas.com and the google site and came up with 10 pages. I will be going out and talking to the diesel owner the first of the week and see how he has it set up. He is very friendly and invited me over to check it out. So will check it out, he did say his cost was about $150.
bob
Old 07-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,

Yeah. I get the same thing. That is not a link it is a search. Do you have an actual link?

Please let us know the results of your discussion. Oh! And leave your wallet at home! Of course the $150 is much better than the $1K that the other outfit offering the kit.

Sure wish there was something out there to improve the mileage. So far I've not seen anything that would convince me. But who knows..... one of these days someone somewhere will discover something that will actually work.

Dennis
Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blarkman

Last nites Albany DH had an article on making hydrogen from water and baking soda and says he is getting 30mpg on his Dodge diesel. He got this off the internet and I am doing more checking. Anybody else checked this out.
bob
I question 30 mpg in any of these HD trucks. It does not pass the smell test...if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Are we talking about this...... www.brownsgas.com been around for awhile..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I did get out to talk to eldon this am and try to keep this short. He has it installed in 92 dodge 2500 diesel. He says he went from 18 to 27 with his currant installation. He has one box setup in engine compartment and one in tool box. I will have pictures available as sooon as I can figure ou how. The boxes contain 6 and 10 jars using quart canning jars and the caps are plastic canning lids with two wires running in each and two hoses. There is an aquarium air pump for each box,like two pumps total a manifold to collect gas and the only item attached to engine is the airhose going in before turbocharger. He does has a toggle switch to turn currant on and turns this on before starting out and allows gas to build up. He is a tinkerer!! This is not for everyone and will work on both gas or diesel.His total outlay for manuals material was around $150, the manual shows picture parts required and cost of each item as well where to buy them, like costco for the invertor $20 as well as the part # or bar code. His major part costs were invertot $20, two air pumps $9 each and roll of wire $60 He feels that this is the easiestand best manuals cost 99 and there are cheaper ones on line.
Is this the answer for everyone, NO. Some people will not want to mess building this or the work involved and I pearsonally feel this is the big drawback to any of these. We just want to get in vehicle and turn on key. If I can get four,five or more miles per gallon on my longer trips it would be more then worth the cost. Do not kid yourself fuel prices are not going back to where they were
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,

Thanks for following up on this. The process seems somewhat troublesome for those of us mechanically challenged. If his mileage improvement could be verified and is the normal improvement amount on an ongoing basis the process might actually be financially viable. I would think some company could produce the product so it could easily be installed in your vehicle.

Fuel prices are certainly never going back down to what they were before even if we "drill everywhere".

I'll be following this process in hopes that this technology will help improve our fuel problem.

Dennis