Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Buying new tires

When buying new trailer tires,how many of you purchase lifetime road hazard warranties.
I am buying the GY 614's and they want 40.00 per tire for this warranty,do you think it's worth it?
I am open to all opinions.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Jack,

I purchased a pair of T/A radials in about 1983 when they first came out and were the thing, and expensive too. I ruined one of those by hitting a little piece of ice and sliced the side wall. After having to replace that one I've gotten road hazard ever since. Plus it puts me on a schedule to rotate and balance them every 5000 miles which makes them last longer.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Just for the record, I've never used it since but I think with the rotation, tire wear and peace of mind I've gotten the money back, or at least broken even.

Ron
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To be honest I don't think it is worth it..cost Vs Benefits.Just my opinion..I figure the probabilities of a road hazard failure are slim and the cost of a camper tire or two is one we can handle.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
One word...NO.

I do not buy an xtended insurance plan on tires. At 40 bucks per it just isn't worth it.
I spent way too many years in the tire business to even consider these plans. As a matter of fact while in the business we were approached many times by these companies and in every case we threw them out of our showroom. Had we known what they were selling they wouldn't have gotten that far. It was an ethical thing with us because we never believed in it. We could have made some good extra bucks from the insurance company everytime we sold their plan but not with a clear concisious.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks everyone,I'll refuse the insurance for sure,just the cost of the tires will be enough for me to handle.
Jack

Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Glenn and Rich, road hazard insurance is just another way tire dealers get in your pocket.

That being said, I must also say that some people will not buy tires without it, and will not be talked out of buying it, so I take their money knowing full well I will most likely never have to replace any of their tires due to road hazard. I suppose it gives them peace of mind, and that in itself may justify the cost for them.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Lonnie and Glenn,knowing that you are tire people I have a lot of respect of your opinions.
Jack
Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I used to by tires from a dealer who included the warranty in the cost of the tire to me. When I found out what he was doing, he no longer had my business. I agree with others that I don't think the extra warranty is worth the money.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I for one like the warranty, reason being: When we purchased our 1996 Toyota 4 runner new, within the first 2 years we had picked up 7 (yes 7) nails, 2 in the side walls so had to replace 2 tires the others were just fixes, but $10-$15 each time.
So after those 7 nails, I checked into the warranty and purchased it. Have not had a tire problem since then. Worked like a charm.

Would I buy one again, qualified yes. Only if I wanted to stop a recurring tire problem.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The road hazard is very near the price of a 5th tire - at least dealer cost. I never could figure out why people felt compelled to buy 4 tires for the price of 5.

To me, it makes more sense to go ahead and buy the 5th tire and and mount it to your spare (which people rarely do). That way, when you hit that road hazard you already have your warranty tire in the back. No paperwork, no explanations, no hunting for a Dealership to honor your warranty.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

The road hazard is very near the price of a 5th tire - at least dealer cost. I never could figure out why people felt compelled to buy 4 tires for the price of 5.

To me, it makes more sense to go ahead and buy the 5th tire and and mount it to your spare (which people rarely do). That way, when you hit that road hazard you already have your warranty tire in the back. No paperwork, no explanations, no hunting for a Dealership to honor your warranty.
You're right Brad,I never thought about that. By the way,I just heard Friday that GoodYear is rising their Price of tires 15 percent due to the cost of oil. I thought I better grab them before the price hike!
Jack
Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yikes - I think I'll call my Dealer and see if he has some to set aside till I can get back home.

Thanks Jack
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I recently had a tire dealer tell me not everyone's tire road hazard warranty will cover road hazards when the tires are mounted on an rv/trailer. Anyone know if that's really the case? It will make me read the fine print before I purchase the road hazard warranty, that's for sure. But, then, I've never purchased that anyhow although I have taken it back when it was free.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I buy the road hazard coverage because free balancing and rotation is included for about 10 bucks a tire- I take full advantage of this service and have had tires adjusted because of defects discovered when the balance and rotation is being done- Saves big bucks over the life of the tires- No damage to truck or trailer plus a smoother ride- Works for us- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote