Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Speed Limit Driving

When I was a youngster, I always drove at least 5-10 miles and hour over the speed limit. Now that I am older and worried more about our well being and safety and the cost of fuel consumption, and the cost of insurance, I drive the speed limit. I used to think that anyone who drove the speed limit was an old fuddy-duddy…pain…..

Now, I know there are several differing ideas about how fast you should drive, especially while towing, but I try to remember there are other people who have their rights too, and I do not have the right to jeopardize their safety; however, I refuse to jeopardize our safety for those speeders. I try to do the best I can to not be a nuisance to others on the highway, by driving the speed limit.

If other drivers should feel that I am not driving fast enough, I would hope that since they are operating a huge machine with several tons of metal, they would have enough common sense to know that I am driving legally and they should learn to abide by the rules that WE have put into place, or maybe they should figure a way to get up a little earlier in the morning so they can get on the road before me.

Driving the speed limit gives me peace-of-mind by allowing me to not worry about getting a ticket for speeding, or annoying other motorists who mistakenly think they have the right to drive faster than the speed limit and jeopardize everyone’s safety. I don’t even pay any attention to them anymore, not worth my time, I’m to busy trying to enjoy the scenery and safely operate the vehicle at the same time.

So, if that is you behind me, irritated, peeking out across the center line looking for a chance to pass….have a nice day and we hope to see you on up the road ….

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If I recall correctly the tires are rated at 60MPH. Of course that is a manufacturers spec that I choose to ignore. We run 63/65 MPH ..The truck likes it there and so do we.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Since we aren't fultimers I'll state how we drive. I stay with the traffic. I'll take this approach until we over 70 then that's where we stay give or take a little. If tried to run 65 on I65 I'd get run over and that is dangerous for everybody. If your comfortable drive with the traffic.
Hope everybody drives safe
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't care how fast you drive, there are those who want to go faster than you are going. Many times there are those driving slower than we. So it is impossible to drive matching everyones speed. I drive the speed I want to go regardless of what others do.

Whatever excuse is made, driving above the speed limit makes that driver a law breaker. "Everyone else is doing it" is the mentality of a teenager making excuses for acting out in negative ways. A long time ago I had to determine whether to be a leader or a follower regarding living a principled life. I made my choice. It includes how I drive.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I try and drive the posted limit. If you are behind me and want to go faster then just go ahead and pass all 63 feet of me.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
ST tires are rated for 65mph; LT that I have seen (Goodyear Unisteel specifically) - 75 mph. Now, that said, I would never knowingly drive towing my trailer at 75 miles per hour. Even if the road conditions (weather and physical road smoothness) were perfect, these speeds are too high for most trailer/TV combinations given stopping distances, turning distances, etc... I will do the 65 (if not too bumpy) but I've found that my Dodge's sweet spot for fuel economy is about 1900 RPM which equates to just about 68 mph. On the 4-lane interstates that is where I try to stay.

I try to be a courteous driver -- if I'm ahead of you and holding you up, I'll pull over as conditions allow and let you pass; if I'm behind you , I leave plenty of room between us (often have others join in the middle so I just make more room if need be). I figure I'll get there soon enough - one or two extra car lengths isn't going to make a 'time measurable' difference.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When we are towing we stay between 61-63mph. We ain't in that big of a hurry to get anywhere anyway. If we aren't towing we pretty much drive the speed limit.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
While towing,64 to 65 tops. Speed limits of 70 or 75 are ignored. If I'm to slow for you than go around me. If you tail gate me I'll dump the black tank.
I don't consider 64/65 as dangerous. What is dangerous are the idiots that run 80 regardless of the speed limit. What is dangerous is DWI or using the cell phone while driving. What is dangerous are the real idiots that are hauling at 80 mph and using the cell phone at the same time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I find the Dodge gets the best mpg at 2000 rpms which is 65 mph. Yes, there are those that just have to get down the hwy at higher speeds and then at the next stop light I am right behind them. One of the best times I had on the Interstate was when I was pulling over to let a semi enter and the gal behind me couldn't wait to blow by me after I pulled in. Blew by me like I was sitting still. Just around the curve was a good buddy, County Mounty. He took no time pulling her over. As a retired County Mounty made my heart sing.
I won't get into those on cell phones as I oppose capital punishment.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:10 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, NO WONDER it takes us so long to get where we are going! We don't drive as fast as all you good folks are reporting.

We drive 57 to 62 most of the time (talking the expressways here). Lots o people pass us, but, as pointed out by sgtpp214, we usually catch up to them at the rest area, or fueling station or next light.

These speeds are our comfort zone and Big Butt likes them best too.

Oh, yea, we will go faster, and guess what, sometimes slower!

We do get where ever, eventually!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Cruise control set on 68 mph, KLOVE on the radio, D/A performing flawlessly, DD's watching movies on the rear seat entertainment center with headphones on, uninterrupted conversation with DW, the ingredients for a perfect towing experience.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #12
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Here in California NO ONE drives the speed limit anywhere at anytime. If you are driving at the speed limit in the right lane on a freeway or interstate it is only a matter of time until someone will come up behind you and flash their lights so that you will get out of their way.

There must have been a law passed that says talking on a cell phone while driving is now mandatory. The most common way to drive out here is with a cell phone in one hand and a Starbucks cup in the other. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have seen policeman or the drivers on city buses, on city streets driving well over the speed limit while talking on a cell phone.

The maximum speed limit while towing in California is 55 MPH. Which translate to 75 - 80 for truckers and 60 - 70 for all other trailers. I am still working on slowing down and try to keep the cruise control at 63 MPH.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Another sore spot for me. We don't get in a hurry too often. We headed out to the ferry the other day, when a little lady in a van whips out in front of me. Well, it's four lanes but she can't keep it in her lane, so I dodge to the turn lane. After going to two lanes, the spend limit is 40, then 50, then 55. She gets right on my bumper and starts flashing her headlights. (Maybe from California?) As many of you know, it is customary here in TX to move to the shoulder to let someone pass. Well, the devil made me do it. No way I'm moving over for her. She finally passes and glares at me. So to rub her a little more, I move over for the cars behind her. Hopefully I made her day.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I used to run down the road like my hair was on fire...after a few tire failures, and coming to grips with the monster hanging on the back of my truck with ST tires (65 max), I now try to keep it at 62.
It's hard to keep it there, as my setup runs pretty sweet down the road.
If I don't run with the cruise on, I'll catch myself creeping upwards of 65 without knowing it.
I no longer concern myself with the speed of other drivers unless I am causing some kind of backup. Single lane? Sorry, you'll have to wait.
I'm not getting a ticket, and I'm not exceeding my tires rating.

I have been shocked a few times...running in the right lane, coming up to some new traffic merging from the right, and someone in the left lane giving me the 'ok' flash to pull into the left lane...always puts a smile on my face to see someone is paying attention.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I try to drive at a comfortable speed for my situation and vehicle and not be a traffic hazard, that being said if you are in a bigger hurry than I--pass. I used to move to the shoulder for all that wanted to pass, then I got real tired of bouncing along the shoulder trying to keep it on the road while trying to miss the debris that collects on the shoulder and hoping I don't end up with a flat tire while the driver I moved over far is driving along side me eating or drinking or talking to others in the vehicle or talking on the phone instesd of gettin gone on around. I do still move for the big trucks because they are gona giter done. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!!
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Speaking of speed limits....
Your traveling at the speed limit on the Interstate having 2 lanes.
As you start up a hill you come upon a 3rd lane on the right.
You see a sign "Slow Traffic Use Right Lane"
Do you move to the far right lane or stay put in the now center lane?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
If I was loosing speed and having to put my foot in it - yes.
If I was able to hold my speed with minimal throttle - no.

To many people don't pay attention to their surroundings...you get into one of those lanes and some 'you know what' won't let you back out...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
2 answers -- Grant and Kathy: Cell Phones ??? The big thing now seems to be text messaging (texting) while driving. Have seen 3 different individuals in the past day that were driving with their knees while texting on the cell phones . (and my wife gets upset with me because I don't want to talk on the cell phone when I'm driving -- I tell her to talk to them and pass on the information -- especially when I've got the 5th wheel in tow!!).

Glenn: I was taught (years ago) to always pull over into the right hand lane whether I'm towing or not. The 'center' lane is for passing only. Now there are several states that I've recently traveled through that actually have the road posted that way and when recently driving through Oklahoma I saw a trooper pull a car over for staying in that center lane. Don't know if they got a ticket or a warning (they passed me when I was towing and at the very start of the 'truck lane') and the trooper had just gotten out of his vehicle when I over-took them a bit up the road. I'm also fairly sure that they got pulled over for the 'center lane' reason because the car didn't speed up that I could tell and they had to know the trooper was behind them. Regardless, to answer the question -- I still pull over to the rightmost lane whether towing or not.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Glenn, here in SW Oregon, we have a few hills on I-5. I leave the far right (curb) lane for the heavy trucks. I use the standard right lane. With the lighter 2955RL, the chevy Duramax does a find job climbing around here. But I also agree with OZZIE, if I had a problem keeping it above 50, I'd move to the far right.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Granted if you are losing speed and dropping BELOW the posted speed limit than you should pull into the slow moving (truck) lane BUT you can hardly be considered "Slow Traffic" if in fact you are doing the posted speed limit. If you are maintaing the speed limit than ANY vehicle over taking you has to be speeding and that is the best defense you could ever ask for.
I know of 2 gongho state cops that when this theory was explained walked away without any further discussion.