Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
6.4 discontinued production

Mine Came in today, will pick up tomorrow. I asked my salesman about the engine production being halted rumor from diesel.com or where ever and he said that was last year (or whenever, I forget easily)because of a dispute between Ford & the manufacturer of the 6.4 because Ford didn't like the way the Manufacturer of motor was handling the buybacks of the 6.0. In the past and 6.4 has been great . According to my salesman. LOL. Truth... I have been dealing with him for over 21 yrs. and paying for mine tomorrow. I trust him.

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats on your new truck. I hope it provides you many reliable years and miles ahead.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You will find that many of the rumors on diesel sites are started by those who have a proclivity for some other brand. For the life of me, I cannot fathom their need to bash a brand they don't choose to drive. Because I am a Ford driver I am uninterested in what goes on at General Motors or Dodge. I certainly don't have time to gossip about their misfortune.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember the issue between Ford and International was settled in court and production resumed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I too read and post on several of the diesel sites, seems on some of them you get what you pay for, and they are all free.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Stiles, I believe you may be incorrect. I believe that the court system told IH to resume production and Ford and IH are stilling working out the problems on this issue. Nothing has been totally settled yet. I believe it will be settled but we will never hear of the final out come.

The local newspapers print that IH had layoffs of 90% of the engineering force but I never read anything about any of the engineers being hired back. Again the newspapers print doom and gloom and nothing of positive ongoings, People hired back to work.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I am not sure at this time if the plant in Indy is on strike or they have been laid off. The contract expired Oct 1 and I read in the Springfield News Sun that they laid all the workers off on the first and now they don't have benefits at all.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Combination of things going on from what I read: Ford / IH still in feud over the deal -- court ordered IH to start building / delivering engines until it comes to court. time to resolve unknown. Plant closed down for union / retooling; now looking at consolidating operations to enhance their financial position. Again,nothing in news showing resolution.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
There was a second part to the court order. International was to resume shipping engines and Ford was to resume paying for them. Depending on where you read it, Ford had decided to deduct what they believed was fair to reclaim warranty costs from their payments to Int. Some reports indicated Ford stopped all payments though the partial payment got the most recognition. Anyway the judge ordered Ford to pay amd Int to ship.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Ford two week stoppage was in a news article, too. It was attributed to the last reported month of sales being down 21% from the prior year and being the worst Super Duty sales month since the first month of the 6.4. Apparently it was needed to let inventory come down a bit.

You guys know I remain a Ford guy at heart and would not post this as a blast at Ford. The Ford is a great truck (the Dodge just happens to better fit my needs/desires this time around and I'm very pleased with it) and I hope it succeeds. So far the 6.4 is sounding like a very good engine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Ford has lost sales in 15 of the last 17 months. Seems to me that is what the last report I saw said. I dont' think they are balancing out their inventory. I think they are in trouble. I happen to have a F350 and love it.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Sales are down for all. No one has mention the truck plant for GM shutting down the third shift and putting 1200 off work for an indefinate period. Already been down for a month in Oshawa.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Sales are down -- local Chev dealer has a 3500 LT1 package reduced $8000 ($50K now $42K (and change)). (I don't work for them -- I just happened to be walking our dogs this morning and since they were having a 'sales event' yesterday decided to walk the lot this morning. Was surprised to see 3500 DRW reduced more than 2500s or even 1500s. Dodge dealer has a 3500 DRW on the lot that he has been holding for several months as well. Not looking good at the local dealers .
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

Sales are down for all. No one has mention the truck plant for GM shutting down the third shift and putting 1200 off work for an indefinate period. Already been down for a month in Oshawa.
Shoot, I didn't even see anything in the news about GM like I did about Ford. But maybe I just missed it. It's kinda like the rollover fiasco when a tire blew on the Explorer. I read some statistics that showed that GM actually had a higher percentage of rollover from blown Firestone tires than did Ford. But Ford got into the news first and GM got to hide that one out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote