Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
B & W Hitch.

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

This question has probably been done before, but I couldn't find anything in the Search archives.

We bought a used '01 Dodge diesel dually and it has a goose neck hitch. We are tentatively planning on getting the B&W Companion hitch to pull our 5er (which we don't have yet). We are looking at a '03 Montana Big Sky, 36 feet, and three slides. The question:

Will this hitch be adequate for this load? A friend of mine has one so I've seen them up close and they do look strong enough and I like the fact it will tilt side to side/front to back a little. But I don't know how they stand up to long term usage, and I kind of wonder about the rubber/urethane wearing out.

I certainly would appreciate any input/opinions. Thank you in advance for anything you have to say.

HowardCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Howard, the Companion is a great tool!! It gives you a way to use your truck bed when not enjoying your Montana with very little effort to remove the hitch. The unit comes apart in 2 large pieces and there are large rubber bumpers where the parts mate significantly reducing chucking.

My office partner recently bought a 5er and opted for the Companion making three of the group that camps regularly using a B&W mating system.

Just remember to tighten that bolt where the hitch mates to the bed's receiver.

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
HowardCh
Established Member

M.O.C. #6624
Thanks Steve and Brenda, I'm glad to hear a bit of positive feedback. The quality of the hitch that my friend has looked to be top notch, but he doesn't use it very much and I was hoping for a bit of input from people that use them frequently. Thanks again.
HowardCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 AM   #4
panhandlevern
Established Member

M.O.C. #3622
I have used one for the last few years, it works great. I pulled with a GN adapter for quite awhile, but got tired of climbing in the bed to hook and unhook, so I got the companion hitch. Sure is nice to pull it all out when I need a clean bed. And I still on occasion pull a GN trailer.

Vernon & Martha
02 F250 PSD 7.3 4x4
00 3280rl Montana
panhandlevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I just bought the Companion Hitch last month. I have pulled my 2955RL from Flagstaff, AZ to Bullhead City, AZ to Sacremento, CA through Death Valley and back to Bullhead City, AZ with not a single problem. It works great, is easy to install and remove, easy to hitch and unhitch, and leaves the bed clean with no additional holes.

By the way, the B&W Companion Hitch is rated a 18,000 GVW and 4,500 VPW (vertical pin weight) provided you use the correct torque on the pull-down bolt and the u-bolts.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
w4nfr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #646
I have the B & W Hitch and it works very well with my 3575RL Big Sky.
w4nfr is offline   Reply With Quote