Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
LP Gas Detector

Yesterday our LP Gas Detector alarm went off. There is no perceptable gas smell. The trailer has been sitting for weeks with nothing being used. The detector has a tab on the front that you can push to mute and I assumed this would also reset this unit but did not. I ended up clipping the lead wire and turned off the LP tanks and will look to reconnect this. Has anyone had issues with these detectors or possible gas leaks? TIA.

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
From what I understand the detector is so sensitive that you might not smell the gas before the detector goes off. I know when we first got our unit the alarm went off while we were just sitting there watching tv. As we hadn't ever used the stove we figured the detector was faulty. I looked at the stove knobs and they looked like they were off. I gave the detector a little kick and it stopped. A few minutes later it went off again. I gave it another tap but on the way back to my chair I double checked the stove by turning the knobs. Sure enough, one wasn't quite off. Glad the detector knew what was going on because it was evident that I didn't.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
smoothies
Established Member

M.O.C. #1296
We have had the detector go off twice in hot weather. When it went off a light in the fuse panel(12 volt) was on. We removed the cover and wiggled the fuse and the detector went off. There must be a loose connection inside. I beleive there must be a 12 volt back up and when it looses power the alarm will sound. It is on my honey do list.
smoothies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:16 AM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Mine use to go off in the hot weather when stored. I put a switch beside it to shut it down. When we use the trailer we turn it on. I put it on my before and after list so we don't forget.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
They tend to be more sensitive as they age and collect dust etc. Heat also tends to set them off. If it starts acting strange, check for gas leaks first. Usually one of the gas companies will inspect your RV with a gas leak detector for free. Propane gas is not something to take lightly. The gas is heavier than air so it lays on the floor. That is the reason the detectors are mounted close to the floor.

Replace the detector if you have any doubts. It is cheap insurance and not difficult to remove and replace. Check out this picture of a propane problem in an RV.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:50 AM   #6
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We had the same problem a while back. Check your batteries in it. Our LP, Fire and CM Detectors chirp when the batteries need to be changed. We changed our batteries and it stopped.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
On some units the LP Detector runs on the rigs battery not a battery in the detector. When our battery went bad in the former 5er (age), the LP detector went off. As soon as we put a new batter in the rig, all was fine. I'm not sure how the Montys are hooked up.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 315RLS

Yesterday our LP Gas Detector alarm went off. There is no perceptable gas smell. The trailer has been sitting for weeks with nothing being used. The detector has a tab on the front that you can push to mute and I assumed this would also reset this unit but did not. I ended up clipping the lead wire and turned off the LP tanks and will look to reconnect this. Has anyone had issues with these detectors or possible gas leaks? TIA.
So I turned the gas off for a day left the door open. Rehooked the detector which runs off the 12V battery and the red alarm light comes on and not the green. I'm assuming this thing is just cooked. I don't see any way to reset this to green state. I checked the price on these and they are $80+/-. I would expect these would last longer than a year. Anyone else have simular problems?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We've had our propane detector go off because of skiter spray. Seems organic aresoals will cause it to go off. BUT always check the propane first. That picture of drhowell's is a GREAT remained of safety first!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #10
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:

Quote:

So I turned the gas off for a day left the door open. Rehooked the detector which runs off the 12V battery and the red alarm light comes on and not the green. I'm assuming this thing is just cooked. I don't see any way to reset this to green state. I checked the price on these and they are $80+/-. I would expect these would last longer than a year. Anyone else have simular problems?
[b]So the end of this saga is that I got ahold of MTI who manufactured the unit in my Montana. They provided an RA for me to send it in. A tech called and left a message saying that the scenario as I described it was how the unit was to work when initially powered on (red light). Well they sent the original back. It immediately went to red and alarm and never reset to green. Called them and they sent a new one. Hooked it up and it went straight to green. To bad we couldn't have done this 2 months back but at least the detector is installed and working correctly. The short of the long of this is that these do fail. Mine was just a year old and if you work with MTI they will make it right in the long term.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #11
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So the end of this saga is that I got ahold of MTI who manufactured the unit in my Montana. They provided an RA for me to send it in. A tech called and left a message saying that the scenario as I described it was how the unit was to work when initially powered on (red light). Well they sent the original back. It immediately went to red and alarm and never reset to green. Called them and they sent a new one. Hooked it up and it went straight to green. To bad we couldn't have done this 2 months back but at least the detector is installed and working correctly. The short of the long of this is that these do fail. Mine was just a year old and if you work with MTI they will make it right in the long term.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Air freshner sprays will set of the detector also. My wife was spraying air fresher around the camper to make it smell nice before we closed the doors for the trip home. As she was spraying, the detector went off. She also used the mist type mosquito spray and it set it off.
The thing is very touchy.
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Under normal conditions those things react to just about anything..Bug spray, WD-40, Air freshener, Carpet cleaner, oven cleaner..you name it.we fan it with something till it will reset...I guess it is a good thing....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The water heater in our 3295RK is at the rear corner, curb side, back of the kitchen. The propane detector is on that same corner, back of the kitchen, less than two feet from the water heater. The water heater gas supply and burner are 'outside', however, and are sealed from the inside of the rig. I've even added some caulking to further seal it to keep cold air from getting inside the rig.

When the wind is gusting into that corner and the water heater gas element tries to light, apparently the wind is blowing some of the propane into the rig. At least when that happens the detector sometimes sounds its alert. I wouldn't think the propane could blow into the rig but apparently it does. I've taken my portable leak detector back there when this happens but get no indication of propane even right up next to the detector. I really have no idea why this happens. Fortunately this set of circumstances does not happen often.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Ours went off also, the other (no name mention) person was using bug spray by the Detector and it went off. We put a fan by it and it quite. Larry & LaVonne
Old 09-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #16
Montana_984
Established Member

M.O.C. #984
The manual for my L.P. detector states that if your voltage drops below 9 volts the device will sound the alarm. Mine runs off of the rig battery. If you have been setting for a while check your batteries. Could be the problem. I also cut the wire to shut the dam thing up but i also knew I had an electrical problem.
Montana_984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just a note about aerosols. Since CFCs were banned, almost all aerosol cans use propane as a propellant. Just remember that when you use them you are also spraying propane into the air.

If ignited, aerosols turn into fine flame throwers.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote