Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Toilet Leaking

Hi everyone. I've run into the first glitch with the new Montana. I was wondering if any of you folks could offer advice before I have to pack the trailer up and remove it from our site to take to the dealer.

I have found that the water in the toilet bowl will drain out after about a day. We have the porcelin toilet with the ball valve in the bottom. Has anyone run into this with theirs and what did you do?

Today I tried the little cleaning tool that came with the toilet so will have to see if that worked but won't be back to the trailer until Friday night. I should mention that the toilet had not even been used when I first noticed it leak out so no paper has got caught in it.

Thanks...

Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Brad, is the seal dry?? Could happen on a new unit, sometimes once the water is allowed to sit in there for a few days, the seals swell and the leaking stops, seems I remember this kind of a discussion very recently here at MOC????

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We had the same problem on our first time out. I used the cleaner with the tool too and it did nothing. Then I took vaseline and rubbed it on the seal and presto! It holds water now no problem...I believe someone here told me to use the vaseline (by the way who ever gave me that great info...Many Thanks for solving the problem! )
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Thanks, I thought of the vaseline solution but haven't tried it yet. Will do on Friday.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Chester,
I agree with the rest, put on a rubber glove, open the toilet valve and rub vasline around the seal. I do this twice a year and never had a problem again.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What is so great on the forum is that you get solutions before there is a problem.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I had the exact same problem on a new Sealand Porcelin toilet that I recently installed. The problem was that the ball seal was not centered on the bowl. If you look down in the toilet, you can tell if the seal is centered or not. You should see the same amount of seal exposure around the entire circumference. This seal is a LOT different than the non porcelin toilets, and does not ride in a channel of any sort. If you remove the strap that supports the bowl to the base, you can lift the bowl and re-center the seal. Takes a couple of tries to get it perfect, but I have not had a problem since!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote