Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Scorched ceiling above vanity

We finally got our 2005 3400RL home a couple of weeks ago. The rep went through it and explained pretty good where things were and how they worked, etc. We didn't have the print out along that told us what to check but we figured beings everything was guaranteed for 1 year we were pretty sure they would take care of anything that came up!
They didn't have a DVD at the dealer's so they couldn't demonstrate the surround sound. Well, we put one in the next day and there was no sound coming out of the speakers! It seems like others have had problems with the speakers. Did the dealer just try to fix the old ones or did they have to replace them with something different?
Another thing I found was the three lights above the medicine cabinet have evidently been left on for an exteded period of time (an RV show ??) and have scorched the ceiling above to the point of "ironing" out some of the texture on the ceiling. I'm pretty sure the bulbs are the ones that were put in at the manufacturers but seems odd that they would be that big a wattage to get hot enough to make brown marks. Makes me wonder if they could start a fire.........
Has anyone had this problem? Am I being petty in wanting them to fix this? (The spots on the ceiling?) I called them as soon as I found these problems and they wrote them down and said to keep track of anything else I found but to make sure we got the camper back before the year was up.
Thanks to everyone for all the hints and good information that you are so willing to share. I learn alot everytime I drop in!!

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
I remember someone else here had that same problem, and there weren't too many others that did have the same problem. I think you will find maybe a handful, which may suggest too high watt bulbs.

I have the same model almost a year now and no scorches in mine.

Maybe they will come along and help you.
Good Luck
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We just picked up our 5er last week. Only one of the rear speakers was working there. The dealer ordered a new one. Both rear speakers didn't work when I got home. You will probably need to spend a lot of time figuring out what the settings do on the remote. I spent 3-4 hours with the user guide and played with almost all of the remote buttons and settings. Somewhere along the line both rear speakers started working. I had to turn the bass and treble all the way up on them to hear anything. It still doesn't give a surround or stereo sound, even with all the speakers working. The demo units at Wallyworld sounded better.

I'll have to watch for the scorching.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have a 3295 2004 and we had the same problem with the scorching. I'm not sure if the bulbs are to big or what. We don't leave ours on for that long now. The dealer used some paint or something to fix it. The bulbs put out a lot of heat. Maybe smaller bulbs
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Ours melted the ceiling also. Went to Wal-Mart and bought some flourescent ones that look like regular bulbs. They run cool and won't melt the ceiling.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #6
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Last year I posted about my ceiling above the lights was scorched I just replaced the 45 watt blubs with 25 watt blubs.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
like c5racer, we replaced the bulbs with screw-in florescent ones and have just as bright without the heat.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
I also have a new 3400RL. No problem yet with the ceiling but you can bet I'll be changing out the bulbs this weekend. Take her out on it's maiden voyage this weekend. Hope all goes well. Really appreciate all of the great pointers on this site.
mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We never noticed. You can bet that I will be out there checking this weekend. Are the flourescent bulbs round or the squigley looking ones?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Round, think they were about $9.00 for 3 at Wal-mart.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great information from all of you. Thanks for the headsup on the bulbs and the possible solutions. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been resisting the urge to get up and check for scorching on ours each time I read a new post in this thread. I told myself I'll check it next time I'm upstairs. But this old memory never remembered to do that. So, I just now put the laptop on the floor and went upstairs. No scorch marks. Ours are the original bulbs. They are 40 watt and have had a lot of use. The distance from the topmost part of the bulb to the ceiling is 1 1/2 inch. For those with the scorch marks, are your bulbs closer to the ceiling than ours? I wouldn't think a 45 watt would scorch when a 40 watt wouldn't so have to wonder if your light bar is closer to the ceiling than is ours.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote