Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Expensive RV reservations ?

I know you are all sick of my posts, but here we go again! I am taking RV to spend Christmas in Marin County Ca. We made a reservation at a location near my sons home. It's basically a "Parking Lot" RV park. We needed to rent 2 sites in order to use slides. I do know of two other locations we could have camped, but one is 25 miles away and the other 38. The commute time between these parks, and my sons home is terrible (hour plus) each way on highway 101! So it's location, location location. The cost for this "not great spot? $160.00 a night plus tax. Sites so close, awnings are not allowed to be deployed. The two sites allow 19 feet by 41 when combined. Why am I doing it? Our two dogs are going with us, and I want to sleep in my bed. I guess I am certifiably nuts? It's still cheaper than a hotel. Anyone have a similar "expensive" night in less than resort conditions?

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Look at it this way....your in money knowing your in your own bed, no bed bugs! My daughter was at a hotel that had them and by the time they trashed all their belongings from the trip in order not to carry them home they where in the thousand dollar range. Not to mention the mental anguish. The hotel offered them free return rooms at a later date. Like they would ever return!

So if your happy sometimes you do what you have to do! We have upgraded sites and paid more than we planned to at times. If Its either upgrade our site or leave we upgrade and chalk it up as vacation expense. We try to research reviews so its doesn't happen often but trying new places is what camping is all about.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Try this one ... http://www.marinrvpark.com/campground/
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

Try this one ... http://www.marinrvpark.com/campground/
Did and it was full. Identical to one I will be staying. (Same owners I think) That place wanted same amount of money, but no taking two site, and must arrive by 11:00 AM or you can't stay. Reviews are pretty bad.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Sounds more expensive per SQFT than newport beach, which is the most expensive place we regularly stay. Roughly $80/nt for a 25x40 spot winter rates. Almost double that in summer.

For the money you are spending and this from marionrvpark.com (assuming it's the same rule at your place) "No Drop Offs-tow vehicle must remain on the property for duration of stay". I wouldn't stay. I'd fly in, bart to the city and stay there. But, that's me. I really enjoy being in SF and taking full advantage of city life.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I guess as long as there are people willing to pay, they will be willing to charge. Just me, but I'd stay in a motel even though it costs more rather than be annoyed about being ripped off the whole time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We stayed at Greenbrae, at the Marin Park, it was tight quarters, they gave us a site that was "double" wide for the price of one. We were there in mid May.

The staff there could not have been nicer, REALLY nice, helpful, terrific tour guides!

The park was clean.

The Ferry is a nice short walk from there, or you can drive your vehicle over there and park, I think the parking was free.

There are also buses you can take in and out of town. On the way out of San Fran the bus dropped us about 2 blocks from the campground.

My overall experience with San Fran was not stellar, I have figured out that I just don't do crowds and cities and mass transport well.

HOWEVER, this park was handy, and as I said, the staff was outstanding.

If I needed to visit the area again, I would not hesitate to use this park.

I blogged about San Fran at the end of September 2013 and in October of 2013. Not much about the park tho.

That $160.00 a night tho, GULP!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
The most we have ever paid for a site was $110.00 a nite in Key West.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
$160 a nite = Holy Crap??????? Is the park that old that they did not make room for slides because there were no slides back then or is it new enough that slides were around but they planned it so you are forced to rent 2 lots???? If it is the second then someone needs a good butt kicking....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I wouldn't stay in a place like that even if it was cheap!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like Davidaf our highest priced stay anywhere was Newport Beach, CA some time ago when it was only $75 per night. We were in sticker shock but my BIL made the reservation anyway for all of us (three rig family gathering). Funny thing was, on the day we arrived to pay the girl at the counter couldn't figure out the math and ended up just charging the BIL who made the reservation for the four nights for just his rig, so the rest of us stayed there free (Odd how none of the employees didn't help her out, but whatever). We still split the cost and it ended up costing us only $25 per night which then turned into a bargain. The place was so cramped and crowded it wasn't even worth that. At least we were able to set up our awnings to protect us from the sun. We were so cramped, the end of the awning was just about at the walls of the next door rig. It's too far for Artemus to stay and commute at any price.

BTW Artemus - anyone who is sick of your posts can go sit in a corner and get over themselves. I, for one, enjoy your posts, especially knowing and being reminded you are from Redding, CA which I've been to and through so many times when I towed for a living. Redding was a major stop for us prior to going north and relief point when coming south. Quality Inn, yeah baby.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We've just learned the importance of doing your campground homework before making a reservation. We just stayed at the American Heritage campground near Williamsburg, VA. Winter rates were a little over $700 for a three week stay. Found out from a neighbor that they offered a $525 monthly rate, so I went back to the office. The guy behind the counter pointed out a sign on the wall that said no refunds or adjustments once a bill is paid. From this we've made two determinations. First, we will always ask the various pricing availability before I make a reservation and second, American Heritage has been scratched from our list of campgrounds worthy of future visits.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Wow, we stayed there this summer and really enjoyed it. I can't believe their policy on adjustments. What a bummer. They are really proud f their updated sites with the patios though. Sorry you had this experience, Don and Bonnie.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Wanted to stay inside Yellowstone in August, but nothing was available. Ended up in Moran, WY at Grand Teton Park RV Resort for three days. I'm still laughing at the 'Resort' part of their name. This place is a dump, hasn't had any maintenance for years, and according to the new managers, it will take them three years to fix it up. I can't complain too much, as it had water, electric, and sewer, but you had to be careful walking around due to terrible gravel that would break an ankle. All this at $291 for the three days. It is not on our list for return visits.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote