Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Ac heat pump vs heat strip

I'm am looking at Carrier ac units. Some say "heat pump and some heat strip". What's the difference? Does one type work better then the other? Does one do heat better then the other? Any info would be a big help.

Does one brand do a better job at both, ac and heat?

Thanks, swanny

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Hi swanny,

Can not compare the two, but we had the heat strip put our unit. I would compare its output to be similar to a fireplace. For us it works fine to take the chill off and to keep the unit comfortable much of the time in spring and fall or during cool damp times. The heat strip is not instantaneous, ours takes maybe 15 minutes before we can really notice it doing something worthwhile. The nice thing is that it is distributed to the entire coach.

I believe the heat strip cost us about $65 plus installation.

Sure others can give you the scoop on heat pumps.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DnDatGrdJct

Hi swanny,

Can not compare the two, but we had the heat strip put our unit. I would compare its output to be similar to a fireplace. For us it works fine to take the chill off and to keep the unit comfortable much of the time in spring and fall or during cool damp times. The heat strip is not instantaneous, ours takes maybe 15 minutes before we can really notice it doing something worthwhile. The nice thing is that it is distributed to the entire coach.

I believe the heat strip cost us about $65 plus installation.

Sure others can give you the scoop on heat pumps.

Dean Nelson
We did the same thing for about the same price.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I don't know about the Carrier units for RV's, but I can tell you the difference in they way the one works that I have here at home.

The air conditioner/heat pump has a reversing valve in the system that allows the freon to heated instead of being cooled as it circulates through the system. When ambient temperature approaches 32F the heat pump starts to loose efficiency and its ability to heat. If equipped with the heat strips the unit continues to deliver good heat.

In my case I avoid using the "emergency heat" heat strips as much as possible as it tends to make the electric meter turn considerably faster. Unless at night when it is that cold I put a few logs in the fireplace.

In my Montana I have the electric fireplace and usually there is enough heat from it to make it comfortable.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When we had the Cambridge 358 I installed a heat strip, I bought it at CW and the salesperson said its very easy to install and suggested I install the heat strip. I believe I paid around $38.00 for the heat strip and it took about 15 minutes to install. Its just plug and play and its very easy to installed on the hanging A/C units in the bedroom. We thought about the heat pump but we are familiar with the heat pump system because we have one in the stick house. We decided to stay with the propane system. We also have two Fireplace's and really had rather have the Fireplaces vs the heat strip. I really don't think the heat strips are worth the money. Good Luck with your decision. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
In FL in the winter we pay $0.17/kw hr. Propane on the water heater and heat when needed. I wish AC ran on propane. Don't like $150 electric bills on something 1/3 the size of my summer house...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I just ordered the heat strip kit for our Coleman Polar Mach front AC. 54.95 and tax from our rv dealer. It should arrive later this week. Our front AC is not ducted so it won't warm the entire rig. We plan to use it in place of a dresser top portable heater this winter. Just to help a little.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
In very cold climates, the heat pump will be useless. IIRC, heat pumps lose efficiency starting around 37*. However, the heat strip is only 5600 BTU and draws about the same amps as the heat pump, which offers twice the heating capacity. With all that being said, the location where I was going to be would make the decision for me. South TX, the heat pump would work good, as the temperature rarely dips into the low 30's. I prefer propane heat, due to cost, but the heat pump would definitely be a nice backup heat source here.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Had a heat pump in a recent r v. Did a nice job, however, unlike the heat pumps in a stick house it did not have a true defrost cycle for when the coil froze up, which they can and will do in the heating cycle. There was a thermostat imbeded in the coil, when the t'stat saw the preset temp in /on the coil the unit quit heating until the ice melted and the t'stat allowed the unit to heat again. During this time, at least on mine it blew cool air; ie, recycled the air in the rig. The stick house units will turn on the auxillairy heat during the defrost cycle so you dont lose temp in the space. I dont believe the r v units operate the same, at least mine didn't. Just some more info.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
We had a heatpump unit on our previous SOB. Worked well in moderate temperatures, but it also had an outside temp sensor that would just shut the unit down when temps dropped below 40. Our fireplace does the job nicely, but the heat strips seem like a good option.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote