Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Honda 2000 does run my Air Conditioner

After many doubts about whether or not this would work, I hooked up my Honda Generator 2000 and ran my air conditioner in my Montana 3075. This is a 15,000BTU unit. I do get a some cycling of the generator when the compressor kicks in once its running but everything seems to working fine. For those of you who didn't see my earlier posts on this as well as those who helped my figure this out, thanks and here is what I have done. First I installed a Hard Start capacitor (Supra SPP6E), then I installed and IOTA 30A Transfer Switch, placed in the furnace compartment. Once I located the Air Conditioner wiring at the panel I diverted it from the Air Contioner to the Transfer Switch. Then ran a new wire from the same posts on the panel to the transfer switch. Then I ran a second input wire to the transfer switch from a Power Inlet connector I installed in place of the landline telephone connection on the outside of the unit. The connector I purchases fit exactly in the same space as the old telephone connector, except I had to drill out a slightly larger hole. Once installed the generator has priority on the transfer switch so when I plug it in I am wired directly and only to the Air Conditioner. I hope this helps those who want to try it and I thank those who helped me. Happy trails. John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
This is cool. We have a single Honda 2000 and I have previously written off the idea of running the air with it. Please post how it turns out for you.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Its done and working fine. The combination of the isolated direct wiring to the Air Conditioner with the Hard Start capacitor is what makes it work. My only caution would be that I use it a sea level and if you go up to say 5000 feet your generator will be putting out less power but the air conditioner will require the same, so it may fail at higher altitudes. Good Luck. John
Old 07-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
John, I'm very interested in doing the same thing as you did. My question are there any drawbacks, or shorthen life of A/C using a hard state capacitor?
Is the transfer switch necessary if you turn off the fridge, converter, water heater?
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Hugh, I can't really answer your question yet because I am now just starting to test it. However, the primary reason I wanted to isolate the connection from th e generator to the air conditioner is because I wanted to run the rest of my system, which is oAn solar. So I can boondock using solar for everything except the AC and the generator for when I need AC. I don't think the Hard Start Capacitor has any impact on the generator, the only thing I can think of is I will be running the generator at close to full capacity when running the AC so that may be stressing the unit but that is what I bought it for. I do think you could accomplish the same thing by turning everything off. You could put in the Hard Start Capacitor and then just try it. The capacitor won't hurt anything it will only make your AC unit start easier, even on shore power. Good Luck. john