Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Reese Signature hitch

We're considering getting a Reese Signature hitch for our truck. The hitch that has the rails under the truck bed. Was wondering if anyone has one of these hitches and how do you like them. We've been to several dealers and they don't have one to look at. Is the locking jaw as good as the Pul-rite's? Does it come apart for removal? I like to take the top part off for ease of removal. Not so heavy that way. We also have a pick-up camper and it would be nice to not have to deal with the rails in the bed. They are supposed to be tighter and help eliminate some of the chucking also. We would appreciate any info on these units.

tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We had a REESE Signature hitch with slider on our 2005 GMC 2500 crew cab. I was impressed with it. WE had the standard REESE in our old F-350 and we noticed an improvement in the jaws on the new one. There was less movement when towing. The down side was that you had to be very careful, coming in low, then sliding up and into the jaws. There is a safety latch release directly behind the jaws that has to be released so the jaws can return completely. Its a good idea so a person knows that it is locked for travel. The problem was that if you come in too high, the latch can be bent and it won't lock. We had the Morride pin on our 05 3475 Montana and the tolerance was very little. We have since moved onto a motor home and now part of the SOB bunch. We still have the truck (with four big holes in the bed) but sold the hitch. Its an excellent hitch, but if I had to do it over, I would go with the REESE Signature head and with the standard rails inside the bed. They sell them that way.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I am using the Draw-Tite 18K Signature which is basically the same hitch. As Ken said, you must come in low to make a good hook-up. Other than that, I really love the hitch. The head removes easily and better yet, there are sight holes in the head that make re-installation of the pins a snap. We have only experienced "chucking" on two occasions and that was on extremely rough, unexpected sections. It didn't even "chuck" going around Tulsa on the north side.
When the hitch is removed, there are rubber plugs that seal the holes in the bed. Also, there are metal bosses that dress the holes and only stick up about 1/2". That doesn't cause a problem unless you haul something soft like sheet-rock. The first couple of times you remove and install the hitch, it might bind a bit going back in. That will be affected by the quality of the installation. The last time I did that, a quick boot was all it took to align the pins. I also use a padlock on one side of the hitch releases to preclude an un-authorised withdrawal. The only real downside is, when not pulling, the head can bounce from side to side making loud noises. I use a bungee from the release handle to the release arms to stop this. This also maintains the handle where I can most easily reach it.
All in all, I strongly recommend this hitch. It is also very stylish.

Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
I also have the Draw-Tite 18K Signature hitch. I highly recommend it. The hitching procedure mentioned above is one you should use with every hitch, to prevent "high-hitching". So, I really don't see that as a negative for this hitch. It uses a single jaw that wraps around the kingpin, so the connection is secure and tight. I have almost no "slop" in the connection, so there's no banging around during starts and stops.

The "pucks" in the bed are about 1/4 inch high, depending on how you measure. If I need to haul something that needs a flat surface, I lay 4 1X4s spaced longitudinally in the bed first. Then you can just slide in your load and it won't hang up on the pucks.

The head comes off by pulling 2 pins that are easy to remove and install. The head has 4-way tilt, so you will need to secure it somehow when not towing to keep it from banging side-to-side when making turns. Bob uses a bungee -- I just stuff some pieces of foam rubber in the right place to secure it.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Thanks to all who have replied. We ordered ours today and it will be in next week. I still haven't been able to see one yet so we'll see what it looks like then. Again, thanks to all.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I just received my Reese Signature Series hitch this week. I am having it installed by the truck dealer. It looks nice with clean lines. I will be sure and lock this this thing in. It was pretty expensive.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote