Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
cmcree

M.O.C. #8497
California Driver's License Endorsement?

I have looked at the DMV site here in CA and cannot figure out if I need a special endorsement on my Class C (normal) driver's license to tow my Montana 3500 behind my Dodge 3500. Does anybody know anything about this? The Montana is essentially the same coach as the 3400 with a few different features and about the same unloaded weight. Thanks so much for your replies. By the way, I am a new member and I am so impressed with the number and quality of forum as well as personal responses I have received on other questions! I look forward to meeting some of you at a rally or campground!

cmcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
California requires a fifth wheel recreational trailer endorsement for 5th wheels between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds GVWR. It consist of test with 20 questions and a eye examine, and does not cost anything. Over 15,001 GVWR requires a non commercial class A license. It has the same 20 question test, requires a physicians report, vehicles pre-inspection test, a parking and backing skill test, and driving text.

Your 3400 is over 15,001 GVWR, so by CA law, you should have a non commercial class license. I have no idea how much this law is being enforced, but I am sure the vast majority of 5th wheel owners probably don't have the proper license.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
From some of the traffic on other RV'g sites it sounds like this is being more and more inforced. I for one went and got my endorsement. Would not want to be in accident and have insurance company try to balk at coverage stating I was not operating the unit lawfully.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Makes me very glad that I have my license in Texas. They've tried enough stupid things over the years like assessing a property tax on travel trailers and farm trailers. That got defeated when "real" Texans got up in arms and balked.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Got my endorsement a few years ago when I read that the CHP when stopping folks for some other reason were looking at the weight ratings of the trailers and if they were over the limits and you did not have the proper endorsements they would make you drop your trailer until such time as someone with proper license could tow the rig.

I was stopped for making an illegal pass at a RR crossing. I thought for sure I'd had it! The CHP was a really nice young man and just gave me a warning and did not check anything on the trailer or truck.

I suspect you could tow your rig forever and never have a problem. BUT..... do you want to take that chance? I didn't so I got the endorsement.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I think Don is right about the requirements, except for the physicians report, You either need a Medical examiners certificate(done by a physican), or complete a do-it-yourself health questionaire. This is for the non-commercial class A license
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote