Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Before I die.................................

Before I die I want to;
You know the idea, we all have our lists, the things we have thought about, dreamed about, some extravagant some rather mundane. I think in my retirement I will work on that list.
Sue and I had never ridden on a city bus. Well, yesterday morning while we were sitting outside in the 72 degree sunny San Antonio weather, I said to Sue, “Lets ride the bus to town!”
She took a drink of coffee and then asked if I really wanted to do that, as I am somewhat of a ‘control Freak’ at times. I do like to be in control of my surroundings as much as possible.
I said that I had given it some thought and I was willing to try it.
A little excited about the adventure, we got a bus schedule and studied it, the routes we would be dealing with, the times and numbers of the busses.
We walked up to the street from our camping site and met a young couple who were taking the bus as well.
It was only 15 minutes or so when we saw our bus coming, I had the two dollars ready, we boarded and sat in a bench seat next to each other. The bus roared off, the air conditioning was very nice, the bus was clean and comfortable. As I looked around I saw older people, young kids, couples, ladies with sacks of groceries, a mix of people who probably ride very day.
As we approached major intersections, a recorded man’s voice announced the streets and stops. People would pull a cord and a red sign would light by the driver; ‘Stop Requested’
The bus seemed to go very fast, just inches from light poles and cars on the left, I was uncomfortable at first, but got a little used to the ride.
At one stop, two young ladies boarded with three small children, they sat right across from us. The children, all little Mexican girls, had a bunny, a duck, and kitty costumes on. The smallest child had whiskers and a Black nose painted with her kitty outfit, they were so cute. I asked if they were going to a party, they nodded yes.
We got off downtown with the Duck, Kitty and Bunny. I carried the stroller a little way across the street for them, the girls were transferring to another bus line.
It wasn’t one of those grand extravagant experiences we dream about, but one I shall always remember and never regret doing.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...%20bus%20ride/

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The bus riders in San Antonio are the nicest we have met. We got on the wrong bus, rode along, several other families going back to the same campground. One of the locals realized we were on the wrong bus, and said, if you are going to "X" campground, you better get off here and go here and do this, etc etc etc. Another local rider was getting off at our unexpected transfer and let me tell you, he should have been working for the local Chamber of Commerce. What a nice guy! Told us more than we wanted to know, but he was so energtic and charming we just let him go and go! He finally got all the families on the right bus and, as you said, we won't forget that bus ride for a long time to come.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:52 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Life is an adventure, and you are definitely adventurers! Love it. My list includes a glider/sailplane ride. Tried to do it in Elmira, NY this summer, but wouldn't you know that the only rainy week of the summer was when we were there. Still on my list. Ozz, didn't see the duck, bunny, and kitty in your slideshow?!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chris, I was having so much fun, I forgot I had the camera in my belly pack!
Keep after that glider ride, you might talk to Noneck, he has stories, and has a glider in his Avitar.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Love your adventure posts! We did the bus ride adventure in San Jose del Cabo, to Cabo San Lucas, MX. Now that was an experience! No chickens, but close. Will do glider ride. I've seen Noneck's Avitar and know he lives in NY, too. Wish RGV wasn't so far from here. Be fun to bike and have a beer w/you. Meeting friends in FL in Jan. May try to see Dave and Rich in the Orlando area while we're exploring.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I did one of mine this summer Jim. Took a helicopter ride on the Oregon Coast. Being a fixed wing pilot I always wanted to try a machine that beat the air into submission. Well I done that, next will be a glider ride, I hear they are the bomb. Went horseback riding in Oregon also. A smaller version of Jack Palance in "City Slickers" was our guide. He forgot to cinch my saddle real tight and I nearly fell off half way through the ride. Didn't have to deliver a calf though. Took the Jet Boats through Hellgate in Oregon also, What a hoot that was.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
This sounds like a great thread idea...what is the one thing you would like to do or have done that the normally sane person would not have even thought of. Let's see - I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail, I've climbed the tallest peak in Texas and I climbed Mt Baldy at Philmont with my son.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We did the same on the buses on Mount Desert Island, Maine. It was great. Leave the big truck at the campground.

We hope to go to San Antonio some winter. I didn't realize they had the buses as well. I will have to remember that. Thants for that post.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
What's even neater is to ride the downtown trolley. It's not the same as San Francisco but they take you around all the tourist sites in the old fashion open air trolleys.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mark, these are great ideas for our upcoming-in-the-plans-stage-rally here!

The OUTSTANDING Mexican restaurant we will dine at, is the Nicha's on 3119 Roosevelt. THE BEST we have ever had, and we love to eat.........Formerly called Minit Taco.
Write it down, folks!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
What a great experience. I like to read your stories and about things you have done.
We rode the light rail last winter to down town Denver. Very nice and didn't have to worry about parking. Went to an RV show. Dropped us off right there. It was around zero degrees that day but we hardly noticed, we were having so much fun and did not have to walk far to the RV show.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Exploring cities by bus is a great way to see stuff. We frequently take a bus especially if they have transfers so we can jump on one bus after another.

San Antonio also has a great staff of folks walking the streets to help visitors.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hello...Yes, Ozz...my Dad is certified to take passengers in Gliders! He is also certified to repair, and re-certify small aircraft. He is bit further west of Elmira in Dansville, NY...they are well situated for sail plane, small aircraft flights.
Picture of us brothers and my Dad...Left to right; Steve, Dad, Noneck (Chuck), Tim, Matt & his kids.

Dad's 2 person Cessna
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Nice plane, and also a nice group!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Nice plane!!! NoNeck

My son had a Cessna 172 similar to this one. His Cessna was a 4 seater Cessna. He had it for about 10 years. Flew up and down the coast of Ca. and to AZ. Various other places.
Dusty

Sorry don't mean to high jack the thread.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #16
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Ozz

If I'm not mistaken, there are some haunted place tours that take place this time of year in San Antonio. Might be worth checking out.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

Good topic. We rode city metro buses, and ferries for 10 years in the Seattle area. Economically, riding the bus is the ONLY way to go. Now that we have the big diesel truck, you reminded us of the great times we had on the bus. Some buses are great, and then there are those others, but they are always an adventure not to be forgotten.

One nice point about the bus is that you don't get lost, just stay on the bus and eventually it will end up where you started!

Thanks for the memories.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #18
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I'm hopefully looking into a trip this late spring early summer with my family (wife & 2 college age kids).
Appox 2 wks out west seeing Mt. Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Yellowstone and maybe even into Idaho then circling back home.
On the humor side I'd like to retire and travel but that seems like it may not happen with this economy. Retire yes, stop working unable to. yuk. I'd like to work when I want to not because I have to.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote