Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Big Sky +/-

Just a few quick observations.

First the Plus side...
An outside 110V outlet in a more sensible location.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../BigSky013.jpg
thing is there is another 110V outlet just inside the basement door just inches away

A HUGE plus
A built in water filter...
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../BigSky004.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../BigSky005.jpg
KUDOS to Montana for that one.

Some negatives....

Poor application of the multiple piece graphics...
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../BigSky008.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../BigSky007.jpg
Those were just 2 on many graphic problems I noticed.
Whatever happened to the single piece graphics that they use on the Montys?

A useless washer....
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../BigSky012.jpg
Unless you want to remove the bi-fold door.

No pictures but there is no way of turning the 12V ceiling lights off individually. If you have the 12 volts in the kitchen on you have them all on or all off. Same applies to the living room ceiling.

These are just a few very obvious errors that I spotted on a short visit through a brand new BS.

In my opinion the only thing I saw in that BS that is not in my 3485SA was the water filter system. Something I definitely plan on doing to my Monty in the very near future.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree Glenn, our Cambridge has three ourside 120 volt plugs, 1 on the basement wall under the Satellite connection and one inside the docking station and the other is located same as the Big Sky. We also have the whole house water filter and it located inside the basement behind a sliding door. When we installed the Splendide Ariston stackable W/D I modified our folding doors to open just like a solid door. However Delaine did use the Splendide combo with the folding door. If Keystone had done just a little more to the Big Sky it would have been a lot better, and could have done it very easy and the cost wouldn't have been much. I think my biggest disappointment was the bed room ceiling being to low, I couldn't walk upright in the front by the closet. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

I agree Glenn, our Cambridge has three ourside 120 volt plugs, 1 on the basement wall under the Satellite connection and one inside the docking station and the other is located same as the Big Sky. We also have the whole house water filter and it located inside the basement behind a sliding door. When we installed the Splendide Ariston stackable W/D I modified our folding doors to open just like a solid door. However Delaine did use the Splendide combo with the folding door. If Keystone had done just a little more to the Big Sky it would have been a lot better, and could have done it very easy and the cost wouldn't have been much. I think my biggest disappointment was the bed room ceiling being to low, I couldn't walk upright in the front by the closet. GBY....
Is the bedroom ceiling low in the Big Sky? I guess being vertically challenged finally has paid off.(5'-7")

Our graphics are lined up good but do have a lot of overlap of panels that stand out.

Don't forget that they added another outlet in the basement along with 12 VDC and tv hoop up there. How about the larger refrigerator and hot water tank. Sure is a nice big shower, unless you are over 6' tall. Did I mention the new stereo system and no remote thermostat. No suicide exit step. That polished sink and drain board sure look good. How about the faucet sprayer in the kitchen sink or the huge microwave that has a built in fan instead of the super sonic one. Kitchen is a dark place with out the lights on so may have to add some more. Will just have to try it out for a few trips before we make that decision. The desk is smaller because of the larger flat screen tv.

OK, I will shut up.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That outlet by the basement door should be a snap to add to any model now that keystone routed one to the basement. -

Had the same problem with the bi-fold door on the w/d. Took all of about 8 minutes to swap the door fold to the left side. Ironically, I've seen it fold to both the left and the right in the Big Sky pictures. Looks like they can't decide yet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One reason we liked the Montana was that the bedroom ceiling was a normal height. After looking at a number of rigs, we equated a lower ceiling to a lower quality unit. The BS just ruined that theory.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Still not understanding what the ceiling difference is on the Big Sky 340 vs the Monty 3400?? Thought they would be the same and I sure don't have a low ceiling.

Something change?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
The ceiling in the forward end of the bedroom of the Big Sky does appear to be lower than in the 3400--presumably because they have put more of an arch downward in the forward edge of the roof of the Big Sky--not sure why they did that or if there is a benefit to it. Jo-Anna and I are both 5'10" and we have no problem with the lower ceiling--probably because we tend to be leaning forward to get something out of the closet when we are up forward. Glad we aren't any taller.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sure enough - I see it now David, looking at the window and awning placement between your sig pic and Bert's. In fact, your as a total arc roofline.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Thats the one thing I wish was different on my Monty...an outlet in the basement. It's a bummer that I missed the new changes by less than 2 months. Ah well, I'm still quite happy and blessed with what I have...:-)

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In our factory tour there where many things we liked about the big Sky particularly from the long timers or full timers point of view. Creature comforts or eye candy I like to call them but important when you spend a lot of time in a camper. We also thought the quality was better primarily because they were only building 3 a day. However according to the 07 specs, from the web site, The BS 340RLQ, GVWR is 15605..the 3400 15740.
BS CC is 3010lbs..3400 3940lbs..BS Pw 2105..3400 Pw 2000. I do not understand the big difference in CC between the two. 930lbs) as they both have 7K axles??? anyhow if you purchased on spec's alone the 3400 is the better buy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Connorsmom

Thats the one thing I wish was different on my Monty...an outlet in the basement. It's a bummer that I missed the new changes by less than 2 months. Ah well, I'm still quite happy and blessed with what I have...:-)

Jan
Jan,
You can install an outlet in the basement if you want. It's easy if you have done any electrical work at all. Email me a PM and I will give you the directions.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

The Big Sky just simply weighs 930 lbs more than the 3400, which is why the carrying capacity is less. They are both bound by gross weight capacity of the chassis (axle-axle-pin) which is the same on both models.

Not sure carrying capacity is always the "better buy" factor for the buyer. Less capacity could be a fair trade off for features on the Big Sky such as the bigger fridge.

I suppose a stripped down version of my F350 would have a bigger carrying capacity, as the GVWR would be the same but my Lariet and 4WD adds weight. Not sure that would mean the stripped down version is a better buy to me personaly when shopping for a TV.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not sure carrying capacity is always the "better buy" factor for the buyer. Less capacity could be a fair trade off for features on the Big Sky such as the bigger fridge"..Agreed..was looking for the 930 lbs in a otherwise identical camper..Bigger fridge, Noted better carpeting and padding, New sofa bed.Some extra outlets, water filter. I think the only thing you can not get in the 3400 as a option is the larger fridge and the water filter system.So the more I think about it execpt for the graphics and the "special BS options it is no different than the 3400 Montana..The Quality factor is a biggy but most buyers never look for that. I am attempting to put myself in the shoes of a average buyer looking at a 3400 and the Big sky and the difference in price and which would I buy?? Having some experience in selling campers I think I would have a hard time selling the BS over the 3400 to the "average" buyer. My guess is the target purchser for the BS is not the "average" buyer.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rich,

Don't forget the gel coat, including cargo doors, that is standard on Big Sky. I think that contributes quite a bit to the 930lbs. It's not included in the Montana specs, rather the additional weight is listed as a footnote for the option.

It would make sense that because the Montana is the mid line 5th wheel product, that it would appeal most to the average buyer. However, if I was a fulltimer, I would have a real hard time looking away from the additional big Sky features, unless I was real tight on budget.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
The weight difference was one of the things that was giving us a problem with making our decision. We finally figured it was probably connected with the extra weight of the kitchen appliances, the "standard" of the hi gel gloss coat and just some other odds and ends that would add weight that weren't standard on the 3400. We aren't sure this is the difference, but that's the best we could come up with (and those kitchen appliances were really the deciding factor for us). Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
JAN, Its very easy to install an outlet in the basement. I did for an outside tv, plus ran a coax from the bedroom satellite receiver, can receive satellite, cable, and rooftop antenna.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
When we took the BS plant tour with Rich, I believe we were told that there are about 80 differences between a BS and a regular Montana. However, the big difference to me was that the BS is built at a slower more careful pace, resulting in a higher level of fit and finish.

We discussed the problem of the bi-fold door hiding the controls on some washer dryers. The factory installed W/D is a Whirpool, and has the controls on the other side from the Splendide.

We added power outlets in our lockers. How easy this is will depend on you model, our 3670 has the electrical panel on the dividing wall between the locker and the entry door, making it easy to get at the wiring from the locker. Other layouts may not be so easy.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote