Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Adjusting the brakes

I have a prodigy brake controller and it is set at 9.7 (out of 10). However, when I check my brakes using the slide bar on the controller, it take quite a while for my fiver to stop - even when going only 15-20 MPH. Is this normal?

There is no way these brakes will ever "lock-up". I'm just not sure the brakes are correctly adjusted. I kinda feel the truck is doing most of the braking - however, the truck brakes are good even after towing 14k miles and driving 62k total miles.

Is there a quick way to check the adjustment? Anyone else able to "lock" their brakes; or at least stop quickly?

Thx in advance.
bob

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bob,

How many miles on the trailer brakes ? They are not self adjusting, so they need to be adjusted up.
No, with the weight of a Monty it is unlikely they will lock up unless you are on loose gravel.
If you are not sure, I'd take it in to a dealer and have them checked.
You don't want the truck to do most of the stopping.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
J&D,
The trailer brakes have 14k on them. They never have slowed the vehicle much, so I'm not sure if they've ever been truly adjusted correctly.

Here's an example: if I'm driving 20 MPH and I apply the brake lever on the controller, it takes probably 50-70 yards to stop. Would this be correct in your opinion?

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bob,

That seems a little long to me. Not hard to adjust the brakes up. Probably should be done once a year anyways. The hardest part is jacking up the axle so the wheels can spin freely.

J&D
Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Bob: It really sounds like the brakes are out of adjustment. Had mine adjusted this past fall (early) and went from 6.8 on my prodigy to less than 5 (4.6 / 4.8). Now, after traveling to Albuquerque, Waco, and a couple of other places, it is back to the 6.5 range. As the brakes wear, i.e. have further to travel to make contact with the drums, the magnets take more juice to push (or pull -- I never can remember which way they actually move) the leading shoe out.

As for the distance you take to stop, I don't think you have a frayed / shorted wire as, from what I've read, the prodigy is very good at providing error signals if there is an open short anywhere. A fully broken wire might exist, hence that brake would not be working at all. I don't think the prodigy detects that and you'd definitely take longer to stop on 2 or 3 brakes than all 4.

On my mountaineer I can take it to a loose sand or gravel road, and it will slide all 4 tires using the hand slide on the prodigy at a little over 6.5. (I was taught to take it to where it did that, and then back off .5 or so as an initial point of reference. Has worked for me so far).

Once again, I'm verbose. Sorry!! What can I say, I enjoy teaching and talking, hopefully doing the first when doing the later .
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
I am no expert, but on our prevous TTs and current Montaianeer, setting the brake controller to it's highest setting (10) allows 4 wheel look up on the camper at say 20MPH on pavement. We currently tow with a Ford and using the factory controller we run at 7.5, about .5 off where lock up will occur when manually sliding the controller lever. When the Monty was new, we started at 5.5. Once spring arrives, in preparation for another season, I plan to adjust the brakes on the Monty before starting the season.

It really sounds like you trailer brakes need to be adjusted. I have never done them myself, but may try it this spring.

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
8.2.5.2. Manually Adjusting Brake Shoes
Some braking systems are not automatically adjusted by hard stopping. These brakes require manual adjustment. The following steps apply to adjust most manually adjustable brakes. Read your axle and brake manual to see how to adjust your brakes. If you do not have this manual, call Classic Manufacturing, Inc. at 269-651-9319 for a free copy.

1. Jack up the trailer and secure it on adequate capacity jack stands.
2. Be sure the wheel and brake drum rotate freely.
3. Remove the adjusting-hole cover from the adjusting slot on the bottom of the brake backing plate.
4. With a screwdriver or standard adjusting tool, rotate the starwheel of the adjuster assembly to expand the brake shoes. Adjust the brake shoes out until the pressure of the linings against the drum makes the wheel very difficult to turn. Note: Your trailer maybe equipped with drop spindle axles. See axle manual for your axle type. You will need a modified adjusting tool for adjusting the brakes in these axles. With drop spindle axles, a modified adjusting tool with about an 80 degree angle should be used.
5. Rotate the starwheel in the opposite direction until the wheel turns freely with a slight drag.
6. Replace the adjusting-hole cover.
7. Repeat the above procedure on all brakes.
8. Lower the trailer to the ground.

This gives you the general idea how to adjust your brakes. I have always done mine every second year. Your axle manual may have better instructions. Good Luck............ Wrench

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I do mine the same as Don.

J&D