Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
Forsch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20034
Entry / Exit Door Sticking

Our new 2017 3160RL has an issue with the entry/exit door. After disconnecting from the truck and performing the auto level from the hydraulic jacks, and opening the living room and kitchen slides the door hits the frame at the top on the lock side. It appears there is some sort of flex that is causing the issue. The door works great if the slides are in and only the front landing jacks are deployed. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so what was the fix?

Any help would be appreciated.

2017 Montana 3160RL Legacy (6th trailer)
2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4X4
Love the cold, dislike the heat (A/C is my friend)
Forsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We had a problem with the door sticking and determined it was a screw on the plate in the door jamb catching the plate in the door. We fixed the problem by removing the screw. Efforts to replace it failed when we discovered that there was nothing in behind to screw it into!

Here are pictures of both plates. You can see the scratches caused by the screw head in the door plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	297  

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
We have noticed minor versions of this on our 3160, but nothing that extreme. Make sure all the hardware it'll tight and also look for anything that isn't adjusted/aligned well such as the striker plate. Those type of checks cleaned up most of the issues we had. We also had a screw strip on the screen door latch handle mount that was causing it not latch consistently. The welcome home light switch seems to put a lot of pressure on the screen frame as it isn't a very smooth switch config and that causes us annoyances too

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Mine drags at bottom of screen door
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheo View Post
Mine drags at bottom of screen door
We had a problem with this two trailers ago. What they did to fix it was flex the screen door a bit. How they did that was they took a piece of wood (2X4), stood outside the trailer, put the piece of wood at the bottom of the door step where the screen door needed to be adjusted, closed the screen door onto the wood and applied pressure to the bottom of the screen door with the wood to bend it back in shape.

If you are confused, I can post a picture.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Go into manual mode on the levelers and do some minor rear leveler adjustments to see if that fixes the issue. Our bedroom door has this issue sometimes.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
swhitmer

M.O.C. #15923
We had a similar problem with our 281RLT. It seems to be caused by the door expanding at a different rate than the body of the RV when it gets hot.
swhitmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #8
camping abc

M.O.C. #31077
I am having the same problem. what did you do to fix it
camping abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #9
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
This is an older thread that I had not seen before but i was having the same issue, but not always. What I have determined with mine is that if using the auto leveling, the last move the auto level seems to make before the success message is the front jacks going up to finish the process. I am guessing that what is happening is that it shifts weight off the middle set of jacks and puts it on the rear set, creating a bit of a sag in the center. I now finish my leveling process by switching to manual after the auto is done and just hitting the rear jacks for a moment. I believe that it equalizes the weight being supported by the rear and middle jacks, somewhat redistributing the weight over all six jacks. Ymmv, but seems to help for us. I see that Jcurtis in post number 6 above may have discovered this too. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote