Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #21
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

...If your truck is stock I doubt you will want to add anything....
Agree...I don't have them and don't need them.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Our truck camper weighs over 4000lb w/o bags or spring helpers we'd be all but stuck. For just the Montana I wouldn't install both, just the airbags.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Hmmmm, gotta think about that. Several months after having the air bags installed one of the inflators went bad and I couldn't inflate or deflate one side bags and it was stuck at about 15 lbs (way too low to prevent sag but at least not below the 7 lb limit). But I reduced the air on the other side so it was even proceeded on my way home and Firestone overnighted two new controls free of charge. While the control stopped working prior to departing from the campground, on the way home the ride home was like it was prior to buying the bags (low and saggy and with shudder) and the package with the two controllers were at home when I arrived. After parking the rig in my driveway and unhitching and putting things away, I went underneath and replaced just the one failing one and I carry the other as a spare. So yes, the air bags do fail, but it's only been once for me. I don't have plans to install any type springhelper as a backup, though but it is an interesting thought.

Note: This happened because I kept the air lines separate. The part that went bad was the inflator for the left side. The left side went kaput but the other side was fine but I had to deflate it to keep it even with the defective side. It is best to inflate each side separately. Plus then there's also the chance there's more weight on one side than the other and you might need to inflate each side differently. I measure the distance to the top of the tires to the fender before and after inflation and periodically during each trip to ensure the aspect of the TV.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #23
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have an 06 Chev 3500 towing our 14 Big Sky and doing a great job. Truck is all OEM with 100,000 miles plus. We are very pleased.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #24
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I have the air bags installed because I had them from a previous truck. But this truck does not need them. It is a nice add however and can be a benefit.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #25
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We have air bags on our F350 dually. Reason was that without them there was enough squat in the rear to lift the front end and throw the wheels out of alignment, costing us two tires! Pump up the bags when our Big Sky is hooked up and no more alignment problems!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
dtgundy
Established Member

M.O.C. #9974
Thanks everyone!! You are all amazing. I know I will have lots of questions being a newbie. We decided to try out pulling the trailer without airbags or stabilizers. We're going to take a short trip first week of April. Our 2012 3500 Ram is NOT a dually.

Right now I am trying to decide on what new tires to put on. I don't think I want to spring for the G614s.

Les Schwab gave me info on a TowMax 10 ply, but he recommended upgrading to a 14 ply for about $400 more. I was considering using WalMart Goodyear Marathons because if I have any trouble, I can find a WalMart anywhere! Les Schwab is pretty much everywhere, too though.

Will those 14 ply be just fine on the wheels(rims) that I already have? He also said I need metal valve stems.

Thanks again for all your help. I hope to meet some of you when we get traveling.
Teddi
dtgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #27
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, on the metal valve stems. If you ever go for a TPMS for your tires then it's one less thing you'll have to mess with (TPMS requires metal valve stems for the stem mounted monitors). Plus metal valve stems should be better than rubber on any high pressure tire application.

As for the Goodyear Marathons, just know Walmarts are everywhere and with their reputation of them on our larger rigs, that's a good thing, because when you have trouble, you probably won't be near the Walmart when it happens. 14 ply tires sound like a good option, but what is the brand? Many brands aren't about their ratings stamped on their sidewalls, it's about their performance over time and distansce and Marathons aren't doing so hot right now. Try Maxxis or Sailun brands, as they have better reputations. Or many have gone to LTs that meet your axle ratings.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #28
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Wow I hear about sagging with people that have 3500 duallies ,my old 1999 SRW F350 needed them and I loved them but my 2003 Chev 3500 dually rides Perfectly level without airbags it rides like a dream even with my heavier 3402rl, airbags or Timbrens would be a waste of money for me anyway
Jimmy, I'm with you on this subject. Our 12 Dodge 3500 dually does not need bags for we ride level. To us we are very pleased riding as we are. DW says that rig rides comfortable for her. Our 09 pin weight of 2450 lbs does not cause our TV to be out of level. This is one of the reasons we opted for the dually in addition to handling.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

We have air bags on our F350 dually. Reason was that without them there was enough squat in the rear to lift the front end and throw the wheels out of alignment, costing us two tires! Pump up the bags when our Big Sky is hooked up and no more alignment problems!
We had this exact same issue. Front tires were wearing like they were out of alignment. A G.Y dealer here in Florida knew right off what the problem was as we were purchasing new front tires. The F-350 only squatted about 2 inches with the Montana pin weight on it but that was enough. No wear at all on the new tires with the truck and Montana level.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #30
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Wow I hear about sagging with people that have 3500 duallies ,my old 1999 SRW F350 needed them and I loved them but my 2003 Chev 3500 dually rides Perfectly level without airbags it rides like a dream even with my heavier 3402rl, airbags or Timbrens would be a waste of money for me anyway
Reading through this, I too, like bigskyjimmy, find it interesting that people with 3500 DWR have issues with sagging rear ends of their trucks.

My 2012 3500 SWR carries my 3200# pin weight of our 3725 perfectly without the addition of anything. It sits perfectly level and rides fantastic, in fact better than my SOB that had a lighter pin weight. Sitting static, it does not touch the overloads, but I am sure when dynamic, they come into play.

My 1999 2500 Dodge had the stock overloads springs like my 2012, however with the pin weight of our old SOB, did not sit level and did sag. I added Timbrens which did level the ride, but also made it rough riding with the load on. Unloaded, rode like stock, like they were not even installed.

Currently with our present vehicle I see no reason to add airbags or any additional weight carrying aids.
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote