Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Propane to natural gas

Just completed our first year of camping in our 3402RL and I never would have believed it but my wife actually looks forward to our trips. Now we are in a holding pattern until our winter trip to Florida thus my question....We leave our RV set up and plugged in next to our house and with the weather turning colder we maintain the temp inside at around 50 degrees so cleaning supplies, cooking items and my wife's makeup don't freeze. This obviously uses quite a bit of propane and I have to lug the tanks around to keep them full. Thinking about my barbecue that converts to use natural gas I'm wondering if the same can be done for the RV furnace. Our natural gas would be much more convenient and probably more economical.

If anyone has any experience with this topic I would appreciate their input.

Firstrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
hy not supplement the 50 degree propane heat with a couple of electric space heaters? Electricity is probably the cheapest way to go and it sounds like you are already hooked up? Just a thought.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Everything that burns propane would need to have their orifaces changed to natural gas.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Cannot vouch for the freeze temps of makeup, I am allergic to it all, but there is no real need to keep that unit that warm for cleaning supplies, or cooking items.

As long as it does not drop below 32 for HOURS on end, no harm will be done.

(OK, will fess up, leaving shampoo and cream rinse products in there ALL winter long will not harm them - - allowing of course for some expansion, etc. so, don't try this with a new bottle - - and, yes, did that, have the story to tell. They were fine in the spring.)

Consider: using an electric heater, as suggested, or turning the furnace on as LOW as you can set it. Open the cupboard doors.

We don't notice freezing until that unit is well below 32 for 4 or more hours. If the sun hits it the next day, it will warm it up in a hurry.

All this said, I would suggest you consider giving your unit a drink of pink if you have not already done so.

Replacing a bottle of cleaners is cheap, replace water lines that froze, not so much, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also, as an option check into a 100# cylinder placement and refills price. I know there are some MOCers who do such a thing. It seems to me that it would be cheaper than filling 30 lbers.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We used electric heaters when we were up North for the winter. It is just a lot easier. The 100lb propane tank would be a option.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Agree with Jim, all orifaces would have to be changed over for Nat Gas, then switched back for Propane when you hit the road. Couple of electric heaters would be the easiest.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
It's easy - call a local propane supplier and ask for a 100 lb or more tank from them and pay for bi-monthly or seasonal refill service. You'll have to pay some sort of set up fee, but the gas per gallon rate shouldn't be much. Have them install it on one side or the other so you can turn it off & disconnect it to go off camping. When you come back, just hook it back up if you're going to be staying a bit. Did that for five years with a TT - they gave me a bigger tank and only filled it once a year.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Firstrmc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13872
Thanks for everybody's input. Obviously the natural gas would not be the easy solution it would seem. Especially since there are are other options available. Thanks again.
Firstrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I wouldn't do the natural gas change because of the hassle and possible serious problem of forgetting to change an oriface one way or the other. Last year when we were at a colder place and the park paid our propane they hooked us up with a home size propane tank so you can use any type of tank as a substitute for having to mess with the small ones.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote