Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Barn to house Montana

I have a 2009 Montana 3400 and want to build a barn or pole building to hold the trailer. In the barn I plan to set it up so that I can use it inside (Will have sewer, water, electricity), Right now I am thinking of a 40 x 32 barn. This will allow me not to winterize the trailer. In the barn I will also have a bathroom, washer/dryer, office and workshop.

Has anyone else built such a barn? If so I would appreciate you input.

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is the barn gonna be insulated and have some heat to prevent the interior from freezing? If it's functioning as an office then it sounds like a nice plan.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would go more than 40'. That 3400 is over 37' long. I would want at least 3' front and rear just to get around it easily. If the building is 40', subtract the wall thickness, and you would have very little clearance inside.
I have not built one (yet) for the Monty. But I did build a 30' x 40' metal building on some land we own to keep my tractor and other things. Bought a prefab kit and built it myself, with only a little help from some friends. Has water, electric, sewer, bathroom, small kitchen area, workshop area, fully insulated. Worked out great. But that was 10 years ago. Don't think I would do it again myself.
Mine only has 10' walls and about 15' at the peak. Would need much higher for a 14' high door to clear the trailer.
There are lots of companies to choose from. But I don't know much anything about any of them except who I bought the kit from. But they don't install them themselves.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I agree with Bill on the size! I plan on doing the same thing and will build the barn at least 40' wide and 60' long and with at least 14' walls and a 14' high door. I'd also like to have a door at each end so all I have to do is pull through to drop the unit or retrieve it when ready to head out again! I do want to be able to open up the Monte when inside and do some work on it, both in and outside the unit. I plan on putting the adequate power set up in it just incase I want to get another rig that has the 50 amp setup. Mine currently is a 30 amp unit. I also plan on setting up a full hookup setup so all can be used IF NEEDED! Could be Rondo's Man Cave if need be! I would like to put some sort of heating unit in it also, so I can work in relative comfort in the winter if need be. The blow on foam insulation seems to be the best so far and then run plywood up the walls at least one sheet high(8 ft). This may be somewhat of a dream but hopefully that dream will come true over the next year or so. Probably won't have any money to go out with the unit after that! Keep us informed on what you do and post some pictures also when you get it finished.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would suggest going with at least a 45' deep barn. My garage is 40' deep and I have approx. 4 inches behind the coach and roughly 6" inches between the kingpin and the overhead door. My 3400 is over 39' from kingpin to rear ladder. My overhead door is at 14' and that allows roughly 7" of clearance from the vent covers to the door.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
i have a pole barn that is 48 x48. it is insulated and has a workshop .the ceiling height is 14 feet which lets my have alittle room to work up top.16 feet height would be better but cost factor is something to think about.best investment ever .less wear and tear on the monty.plus i can do my own work on it as well.i live in ont canada and it doesnot cost that much to heat . set it at 60.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
My barn is 44' deep by 40' wide outside dimensions. This gives me enough room to walk around the trailer with the slides open. The trailer takes up one half of the barn. The bottom of the roof trusses are 16' off the floor. This allows for a rollup door to be mounted over the opening. The two doors are 14' high by 14' wide for the trailer and 12' wide by 10' high for the dually. I have enough room behind the truck for a workshop and bathroom. There is also a 13' by 44' room above that will eventually become a cigar bar. The room trusses didn't cost much more than regular trusses so now that space is useful. That is the area that will be heated and cooled when it's finished.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have a 40 X 80 shop and what I like about the length is one can get the Monty and truck in at the smae time to do any work in combination. That is how I did my spring, shock, u-bolt and wet bolt upgrades.
40 X 60 is a very econmical size to; gives lots of room to work around both ends of the unit. The extra cost to go a little bigger is well worth every dollar!! I have not seen anyone that built a shop say " I should have built it smaller"!! A house; now that is a different story as one gets older! LOL
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
After constructing my metal building, the only thing I would change when I build one for the trailer is my large doors. I have two 10' x 10' metal roll up doors, one front and one back. But they are only corrugated metal with no insulation. The sides simply ride up/down in a U shaped track. With the door down and sun shining on it, you can feel the heat radiating off it from several feet away. And in the winter, with a chill wind blowing, you can feel the cold air blowing in around it also from several feet away. I plan to install insulated panel garage type doors on the next one. Although that large (14' x 14') will require industrial type doors I think.
Also, I have been looking at a raised center horse barn type building for the trailer. One, I like the looks of it. Two, it will be a somewhat less imposing structure with the lower side walls. Three, there will be less interior volume to cool/heat if I want. The center can be large enough and tall enough for the trailer. The sides can be used for rooms, shop, storage, etc. still with a substantial ceiling height. One I have looked at and got some initial pricing is Ameristall. Don't know too much about them yet and am not endorsing them. But seem to be a reputable firm. They will configure a building to whatever size you want. There are other similar manufacturers of the same type building.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We had a pole building built for our 3400. It is 40 feet long, and 16 feet wide. It JUST covers the Monty, but that is all we wanted. It's to keep the sun and weather off of it. I already have another shop, so I didn't need the extra space for anything else. I left the front so it was open, thus driving the truck right out from the trailer. II pull in, back out. Works good for us. I see you are in WA, we had Econofab Buildings do ours. They are reasonable and do good work, I believe including WA. They also built my barn, and all the neighbors as well.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

My barn is 44' deep by 40' wide outside dimensions. This gives me enough room to walk around the trailer with the slides open. The trailer takes up one half of the barn. The bottom of the roof trusses are 16' off the floor. This allows for a rollup door to be mounted over the opening. The two doors are 14' high by 14' wide for the trailer and 12' wide by 10' high for the dually. I have enough room behind the truck for a workshop and bathroom. There is also a 13' by 44' room above that will eventually become a cigar bar. The room trusses didn't cost much more than regular trusses so now that space is useful. That is the area that will be heated and cooled when it's finished.
Do you have any pictures?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I rent a space that is 20' x 50' and it's just about right.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

I agree with Bill on the size! I plan on doing the same thing and will build the barn at least 40' wide and 60' long and with at least 14' walls and a 14' high door. I'd also like to have a door at each end so all I have to do is pull through to drop the unit or retrieve it when ready to head out again! I do want to be able to open up the Monte when inside and do some work on it, both in and outside the unit. I plan on putting the adequate power set up in it just incase I want to get another rig that has the 50 amp setup. Mine currently is a 30 amp unit. I also plan on setting up a full hookup setup so all can be used IF NEEDED! Could be Rondo's Man Cave if need be! I would like to put some sort of heating unit in it also, so I can work in relative comfort in the winter if need be. The blow on foam insulation seems to be the best so far and then run plywood up the walls at least one sheet high(8 ft). This may be somewhat of a dream but hopefully that dream will come true over the next year or so. Probably won't have any money to go out with the unit after that! Keep us informed on what you do and post some pictures also when you get it finished.
Make it big enough for us too. Make sure the owner of the land doesn't move
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote