Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
JPConley
Established Member

M.O.C. #10575
Low water pressure all around on city water

I just bought a 2002 3255RL - loving life, first Montana!!! Big step up from my 15 year old 26 foot Damon Hornet 5th. But...

I'm hooked up to the same spigot outside, same pressure regulator, same (unkinked) hose. I'm getting about 1/2 the water pressure everywhere inside all the time. Shower, kitchen sink, bathroom sink - they're all doing this all the time.

Is there somewhere in this beast where the pressure can be adjusted?

Thanks!

JPConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Welcome to the forum. I do not believe there is any where you can adjust the water pressure. Have you checked the screens at the faucets?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Check the check valve at the input of the city water connection, and make sure you've got a good water supply hose.

There have been several threads about this problem, so a little searching, or someone who has been through it, ought to help with the problem.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
JP,
Sometimes those in-line water regulators can go bad, and without a gauge on the output side you will never know. Two things that would show you at the spigot. A screw on water pressure gauge at the spigot, and/or an in-line water pressure gauge on the output side. Either one can be picked up a Lowe's or Home Depot, or your favorite hardware store. I experienced this same thing when I changed over, so I picked up a Watts water pressure regulator at one of those hardware stores, and added it to my spigot I now get a constant 40 psi of pressure on the out-put.

Good luck.

Edited: p.s, when you unhook, don't forget to take the Watts with you. I made a nice present out of one of mine to a MOC'er when we were at Tom Saywer Mississippi River CG.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
If you are coming from a 15 yr old rv, welcome to the brave new world of the nanny state. Do some poking around in your plumbing. You'll find water savers everywhere you go.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides what others have suggested you mention you are using the same hose, you might even want to try a new hose. Some hoses over time will develop blockages inside you can't see but will cause water flow problems. Any water flow savers down the line may amplify this. Use a good water pressure regulator (someone mentioned Watts already) and open the city water all the way and you should be good to go.

Please report back what you find so we can all learn from it. Welcome aboard!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jape, there seem to be three areas that will slow down your water flow. In most of the rigs it isn't a problem with pressure but volume. On our 08 Big Sky there were two restricters in the kitchen faucet alone, one where the hose connects to the pull out sprayer and one inside the sprayer itself. You can remove the one by the hose completely but for the sprayer to continue to work properly you will have to take the restricter out (it looks like a little top hat) and take a 1/4 inch drill and ream the hole in the end to 1/4 inch. Then reinstall it and you should see a very marked increase in flow there.
The other two spots will be the bathroom sink and the shower. Both the restricters in them can be removed and tossed. art was correct about the old hose being another problem area. most of the white fresh water hoses are constructed the same, two layers of plastic with a nylon mesh in between. What happens is that the hose sits outside in the sun under pressure for who knows how long. The sun and weather do affect the bond between the two layers and they so eventually separate. When this happens the hose looks good but when water begins to flow through the inner casing collapses and blocks the flow. You can test it to hold pressure fine but when you open the far end it will shut itself off. If you cut the hose open you will find that this is usually the case. So after this long winded missive the gist of the whole thing is to start out with NEW fresh water hose... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
JPConley
Established Member

M.O.C. #10575
All - wow! This place is really something - I'm amazed at how many people so quickly jumped in. So far, I replaced the old regulator - helped a bit. I'm going to get an inline gauge soon - sounds like a really good investment. I've pulled the restricters from the 2 sinks - that definitely did it! I took a quick look at the sprayer end of the shower but nothing there. I'll take a look at the rest of it shortly - now that I know I've got good pressure at the sinks it'll just take a bit longer to get the shower up to power (sorry, couldn't resist the bad rhyme). Thanks all!
JPConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
jape, the shower restricter should be in between the hose and handle, in fact take both ends off and check both ends, I only checked one end on mine, am headed out to do that now... Dave
Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #10
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
I seem to experience the same problem on city water but get great pressure when self contained and using the pump. So by reading these post I now assume there is a restricter or pressure reducer at the hose conection. How hard is it to get to this restricter.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
There isn't one at the hose connection, but there is s check valve or back flow preventer valve. they aren't hard to replace but I don't think it restricts the flow much..Dave
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

There isn't one at the hose connection, but there is s check valve or back flow preventer valve. they aren't hard to replace but I don't think it restricts the flow much..Dave
Dave,
I haven't had to replace it but have read on this forum about a check valve on the back side of the hose bib. I asssume this is the same type check valve that is on the sewer flush. We have all read numerous post about them going bad with reduced or no pressure to the internal flush. Much like Al and Carol had at the G.Lakes rally last year. JPConley, seems to me it would be worth checking. Jim