Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
A to F

Had our rather new 3475 at the dealer the last several days fixing more birthing problems. They did a great job this time. Last time I was told there is no known fix for that slide out problem. This time they did it right!! The list was 9 itmes and all were done in the time frame. Got home and started washing that monster and found the water heater cover missing. That was not on the list. Who, where, and how did that latch get moved to open! I have learned the expensive way of that mistake. I sure hope someone steps up.

The next is---. One of my squaks was the in rocker switch for the slide outs was stopping on the in mode. Was told there is a thermo breaker on the hydro electric moter to keep it from overheating. I think they are pullin my leg. Has anyone with a three or more slide out unit have to recycle this switch?

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I think someone is pulling your leg on the thermal switch overheating. I have 4 slides on my coach and have never had any trouble with this switch before. Might want to give Keystone a call and see what they think. Glad to hear that your dealership was able to get your problems fixed in a timely manner.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:41 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Dick
I had the same problem with the slides sometimes stopping when bringing them in, The dealer [Foley RV] replaced the thermo breaker and it has worked fine since.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Thermo switch issue is real. Our 03 3280RL will trip at times, especially if the unit is not very level and the large slide is downhill somewhat. No big deal - just let it cool a few seconds and hit the switch again. May get it replaced someday if it gets a lot worse.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I have 2003 3280rl with three slides, mine did the same thing until I called the slide company (Phone number on the motor) and they talked me thru the process of installing another breaker along side of the original one mounted on the wall in back of the motor. Also was told to keep the fluid level to within a half inch from the top when the slides are in. No longer have the breaker trip when moving slides in or out. Mostly the breaker triped when I was trying it in cold weater, will have to see if all continues to be OK this fall.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well that is the thing I love most about this site. I learn something every time I log on. I was talking with a neighbor at the RV park we are in and he or I have never heard of such a thing as the Thermo switch over heating. Will have to write that down in the things to remember log for future reference.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
OK Gentlemen, here's the deal. Ron S hit the nail on the head! And besides that, I can't contain myself. I need to share the wealth!!!

Keystone puts a 50 amp auto-reset circuit-breaker inline on the positive side to the pump motor. That motor is rated to pull as much as 100 amps if it has to. Most of the time, a 50 amp breaker will cover you. If you have doubts, do an amperage draw test. If it is pulling more than 50 amps, especially if the rooms are coming in, then another auto reset breaker wired in in parellel is needed.

You can wire in a 20,30,40, or even another 50. It would depend on how much amperage the motor was pulling. In-other-words, if my pump motor was pulling between 50 and 70 amps, I'd add a 20. If it was between 70 and 80 amps, I'd add a 30 and so on right up the line. The thing to remember is, don't exceed 100 amps because then you loose the protection to the motor.

Another thing I would do is replace the original 50 amp breaker. Especially if that breaker had been popping out previously. The reason being, each time that breaker pops, the weaker it gets.

If anyone has any further questions about this issue, or any others concerning side mechanizms, call me at the office (574-537-8900 ext 4303) or on my cell (574-320-4974).
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
MIMF, Thank you. I'll be on the phone in the AM to The dealer who said they fixed it.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours originally came with too small a breaker. Keystone sent the correct one to the dealer and that fixed that problem. That was almost 3 years ago. Also, I've found when the slide mechanism needs lubing it can cause enough drag to cause the problem you are having. You might lube the square tubes under the slides, the ones with the teeth on them. Also shoot some lube in the gears at the end of those racks. If the slides tend to jump a little as they move, that's another sign it's time to lube them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote