Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Is the safe "Safe"

How many of you use the safe in your Monty for its intended use? When we camp we usually don't have a lot of cash with us, most of ours is plastic. When we go full time in about six months, then I don't know. Do full timers take a lot of expensive things Jewlery, keepsakes. etc with them? Just wondering. Happy camping Jack & Janet

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Well all you need to get into that little thing is a screw driver and channel locks. it's a good idea, but It makes my wife happy and she feels its a safe place.
I think the best way to store valuables is to find a spot that the manufacture has covered up a corner with wood you know what I mean there are spaces under the oven, refrigerator, even over the top of them too. or make your own little cabinet with a secret hiding spot.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We don't keep cash in it, I'm sure it would be easy just to take the whole thing if someone wanted it bad enough - I recommend putting emergency cash in a sock,a boot,a particular favorite spot that is maybe the same as you had at "home"..a familiar place to both of you. we use the safe for extra copies of insurance cards and passports, in case purses or wallets get stolen -and it's labeled as to what contents are in it- so there isn't any doubt - (all we would have to do is convince a thief - if he wasn't dead or injured, that is.) - another friend of ours travels across country a lot in their Motor Home and they have a wrapped present box with bow on the lid - and they put their cash in that-it just whatever works for you.
Safe travels.

Evy & Mike Orlob
Retired/Rving/Race Fans
2004 3295
2004 Dodge
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We use our safe to store paperwork that we have to carry with us to prove we have a closer connection to Canada rather than the USA. We also put our medical insurance papers in there. No money.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:23 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That lock box is a decoy. The real stuff is.......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:18 AM   #6
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
We keep all our our maintenance receipts & travel expense records/logbooks in the "safe".
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:57 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I don’t know about the rest of you but our "safe" is actually a safe, one of those fire proof boxes mounted under the bed, with a dial combo on it and about 2inch thick walls. Yes, it actually has a combo not a key. I am not sure (never investigated) how it is mounted to the floor or with what but from the looks of it I believe it would take a little time to get this baby out. I really don’t think you will get into this one with a screw driver and channel lock. We usually don't carry much with us but when we do, we use the safe. I think it's a false sense of security but the wife feels better when her stuff (jewelry) is locked up. We never carry much cash, mostly plastic. I hate to ramble but I am going to: About 10 years ago, in a WalMart parking lot at about 10 PM during the Christmas Holiday season my wife was mugged. They took her purse, gave her 6 stitches in her head after she fought with them (she’s a tough Navy Vet), and of course she was loaded with cash intended for gifts that was all taken. Fortunately, there was an under cover police officer in the parking lot that chased them and after about an hour the bad guys were caught in a gas station trying to spend the money as fast as they could. Ever since then neither of us carry more than about $50 at any given time if even that. Most times it's less than $20. So even when we travel we very really have cash with us.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
After looking at our safe and seeing the bolts that hold it to the floor from the battery compartment below, I look at it as more of a decoy...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #9
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
All the safes we have ever seen in 5th Wheels are in that same place, well known to all thieves, so I don't use it at all unless just to store stuff. We saw a fire burn a full timers motorhome to the ground, so all our important paper stuff is in a fire safe in the basement. My jewelry goes in the back of the closet and other hard to find places, and the cash we carry is minimal, we plastic as much as we can. However in this day of hackers, we did have all our cards cancelled from a security breach, so luckily we had family in the area to cash a check Such are the joys of fulltiming!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would look into buying a fire safe that is small enough to fit into the front closet. I had found one at Sears I think and it fits perfect in the far right corner of the closet. I had to take out the bottom wire rack shelf and slide the safe right in. Now with all the clothes hanging in the closet you cannot even see the safe. But I guess as anything else goes if a thief wants it bad enough they will find it and take it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote