Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Battery Minder question

I've had the Battery Minder plugged in and attached to my battery while storing it indoors this winter. With the New England snows finally melting, I put it back into my rig and slid my slide outs out in preparations for leaving to Florida at the end of March.

Since we will still have freezing nights here for the foreseeable future, I'm wondering if it is feasible to plug the Battery Minder into an outdoor power outlet and attach it to the battery cables while it is still hooked up to the rig? My rig has a battery disconnect switch and I was wondering, if I turned the battery connect switch to off and I attached the Batter Minder to the battery, would it work properly or would I be making some sort of fundamental error?

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Wayne, Yes you can do what you are asking.

BUT, not knowing what voltage the Battery Minder keeps the battery at I would need more information before I would recommend it.

Since you have power to the 5th wheel, why not just plug it in and let the on board converter keep it floated @ 13.2vdc. You would have to have the disconnect switch ON to charge the battery using the converter.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You can get adapters down to 15amps, so no matter what outlets you have available you should be able to use your converter as Jim suggests.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
If you do NOT have the RV plugged in, yes you can attach the Battery Minder to your battery even though the battery is still connected to your RV and your battery disconnect is on. For example, my Heavy Duty Truck (HDT) that you see in my signature has four huge batteries connected to the truck. I hook up a Batter Minder Junior to one of the batteries (all are connected in a series) and in about three or four days, all the batteries are charged and it keeps them charged all winter. I do this for my lawn mower, Harley, etc. I just keep the RV plugged in all winter. Hope this helps!
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I was reluctant to keep the rig plugged in was because the cord has to kind of go through some gyrations to get plugged in near my second floor house deck. But after doing it, I realized it's not that big of a deal for three or four weeks so I'll plug her in after all.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote