Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Severe Weather Emergencies.

During the spring time in our area we experienced numerous severe weather warnings, tornado watches, and tornado warnings. Which was normal for our area. We have automatic weather alerts on each of our phones and a police scanner for just such emergencies. During alerts we would have jackets ready for the dash to our truck if the warning sirens would go off. During anticipated tornado producing storms this spring we actually left our Monte prior to any sirens. We have always had a friend's basement located within 4 or 5 miles that we felt we could safely make it to for immediate shelter. After last Sunday (see recent post under "Full Timers") we are reviewing our thoughts on these types of weather emergencies.

What do others do? I know there are some RV Parks and campgrounds that have good concrete block buildings that could offer good shelter. But with an F-4 or F-5 you almost have to be below ground to have a good chance of survival. I still feel comfortable avoiding a tornado in my vehicle as long as I have enough warning and it is daylight hours. But what about an unexpected warning siren in the middle of the night?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some have emergency totes sitting at the door, with meds, prescriptions, glasses, computer hard drive back ups, insurance data, stuff like that in them.

Some campgrounds have "emergency" plans. Not sure all do. Ask what they are. Where is there a safe place? I have had campgrounds refuse to tell me. Ya, that made me happy. NOT!

See if there is a school nearby that is designated emergency shelter.

And, where there are no basements, well, I just don't know.

And, at night, who knows what you are driving into, or driving away from. Also the rain encased tornadoes, very hard, if not impossible to see.

Mother Nature is a tough ole broad.

None of my ideas are worth much.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Prayer!!!!
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Most all our family and friends live fairly near our home. So when we travel we are never near anyone we know.
When in an private RV park and weather is threatening I always check to see if the park has a designated tornado shelter. Some do. If they do not then I look for the strongest building I see on the property and would head for that if sirens sounded. Have never seen a state or COE type park with a tornado shelter. But many do have cinder block restrooms/showers. That would be where I would head if staying in one of those. Since much of our travel is in the south basements are almost non-existent. But in F4/F5 tornados anything above ground is questionable unless designed specifically for that reason. Those tornados can scour a home down to the slab foundation taking even the plumbing fixtures. Some years ago in Jarrell, TX a lady took refuge in her bathtub. And her and the bathtub were dislodged and thrown some distance. She survived. Fortunately tornados of that strength are fairly rare.
But trying to run from one is also questionable. At night you can't see them and, as Carol mentioned, even in the daytime you sometimes can't. And a car is not a good place to be caught in one either.
To be perfectly honest, I really don't worry too much about it. Having lived at the southern end of tornado alley all my 67 yrs it has never been a big concern. Last time one hit our town was in 1948 when I was 3 and severely damaged our house but no injuries. Have only seen 2 in my lifetime. Although sightings and touchdowns are frequent in this general area, I can only recall one in the last 15-20 years in our immediate area that caused any deaths. And that one hit an area something like a 1/2 mile wide by 2 miles long. That is one square mile in a county of 900 square miles. Of course if you were on that spot that fact doesn't matter much.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Severe storms and tornados are common near our home base so we installed an in ground tornado shelter. When we travel we'll ask the park where to go. They usually know because they have to hide there also. Bill is correct about state parks and many older COE parks, but many of the newer COE park restrooms are pre-cast concrete with solid steel doors with double dead bolt locks and are made to serve as a shelter. Be sure and get there first, however, before someone gets scared and dead bolts you out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
For those kind of emergencies I stand with my feet about 18 inches apart, then I bend way over and put my head between my knees,,,,,and no we don't stop there just keep on bending ....well you get the picture......
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

For those kind of emergencies I stand with my feet about 18 inches apart, then I bend way over and put my head between my knees,,,,,and no we don't stop there just keep on bending ....well you get the picture......
Do you pucker?
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
a good laugh first thing in the morning. thanks
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Being from Kansas we look at it this way. You are more likely to be killed in a car wreck than by a tornado. We were at a camp ground where the school down the road was where we were told to go in bad weather. The siren went off because of a tornado and by the time someone got there to unlock it the danger had passed.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
"For those kind of emergencies I stand with my feet about 18 inches apart, then I bend way over and put my head between my knees,,,,,and no we don't stop there just keep on bending ....well you get the picture......" Reminds me of my instructions for surviving a nuke attack when I was on active duty ('62-'82) and it's been my outlook on a lot of things beyond my control that some people want others to get way too far worked up over. Common sense is the best thing yet, but an F5 will destroy everything near it as someone already said, and nothing you can do will help. Sort of like the person we met who was proud to claim he had a Bushmaster & shotgun to take care of any 'intruder' at his campsite. (Never had a thought about those camped within a hundred yards of him either!)

I usually keep an eye out for concrete block buildings, ditches and whatever else would work at campgrounds. Also look for where the high ground is, etc. We typically check weather forecasts sometime each day (We're supposed to be 'communing with nature', right?) and have a weather radio we have in the Monty as regular cargo. And any time it looks like there's going to be an extended period of bad to really bad weather, we cut trips short & go home.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Seriously though, growing up in Texas I do as Walt does and make mental notes of places I could use just in case, like brick outhouses, overpasses, etc. I also do the same for high ground for flash floods.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Another good reason for the HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) or better known as a BFF (Big *^$# Truck)
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #13
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
This is a very good question and one with numerous answers. A year ago last Spring we were in a severe storm while in Indy. As we looked outside the trees were bent over and the Ole Monty was a rockin' and a rollin' (well, not yet rollin'). Anyhow, scary stuff. Someone said "prayer" and that may be the "go-to-advice" for me.
BTW, an RV park in Oklahoma City does not allow pets in their storm shelter.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Another good reason for the HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) or better known as a BFF (Big *^$# Truck)
I don't know, seen some of them fly during a tornado, just not near as far as the cars
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Your response is pretty stupid. Just ask the poor people in Southern Illinois.!!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
People don't really mean disrespect. I live in EarthQuake Country, others live near hurricane prone areas. Sometimes humor, prayer and thanks, go hand in hand. We have a plan with our family in the event, the "big one strikes"! I often ask people of "faith why they worry"? Do your best to plan, inquire about resources, shelters etc. I believe, if its your time, well as my grandmother would say " then it's your time"! If you have no faith, well then just do your best! I think this is an important topic and we should all have "Go Bags", fire drills etc. I use to be the owner of large boat. When you came on board, you got the "Captains speach"! You get the "Montana" speach if you travel with me. Exits, fire extinguisher training etc. Just my two cents!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote