Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
Mountaineer 335RLBS on order!!!!!!!!

After much searching and researching, we ordered a 335RLBS. I think the floor plan will fill our needs for a long time and I wanted to keep the cap on my truck for the dogs to ride back there so we chose the TT instead of a 5er. Now only 8 long weeks of waiting. I do have one question for those of you who own this model. I ordered the recliners instead of the barrel chairs that come standard, but am I going to be able to pull the slide in by just turning the recliner sideways like you can with the barrel chair?

Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Congratulations on your new TT. Keep us posted. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Can't help you with your question. I just wanted to congratulate you on your new rig and welcome you to the MOC. Once you get the rig keep us posted on your adventures in RVing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hey Starchmill welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your new RLBS,

We are owners of the RLBS and love it. They Tow excellently. I was a little concerned about the front cap design, because it's concaved. I was able to E-Mail back and forth with the factory. They claimed it was designed using a wind tunnel program. Well, working in the Aerospace Engineering Bus. for many years. I was still skeptical. So I designed a test pitting our old TT (1000 lbs. lighter) against the RLBS for gas consumption. To my pleasure, the RLBS did a good job aerodynamicly. The factory asked for my report and said they were posting the data I took at the factory. It actually was a little better than our old TT. We just finished a 7000 mi. trip and avg. 8.55 mpg. Remember we use a gas V10. Very happy.

Now to your question; We also wanted to swap out the Swivel Rockers with the Recliners. I took the Recliner measurements from a new 5ver on my Dealers lot. In my case they wouldn't fit.

The way we handled the issue is, I called Mastercraft the furniture manufacturer. They offer an ottoman. We gave them the name and code # for the chair material and they made and shipped the matching ottoman. We ordered just one. It worked out wonderfully. Paid about $100.

When traveling it sits on it's side between the chairs against the small table.

If yours is the same as ours I would't know how you would stow the Recliners when traveling. One would certainly fit by the door but the other?

I think I remember another RLBS owner saying they fell asleep in their Recliner, so maybe there's a little difference in some of these units.

It would be a shame to get your new rig and not have the room for them.

Also do a search under Mountaineer Improvements to see some neat things some of us have done to our TT's.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:34 AM   #5
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Welcome aboard Starchmill! How exciting a new Mountaineer TT - may you have many happy camping memories. Don't know if can help you with your question, but with our 2980RL fifth wheel we have the recliners and inorder to close our slides we need to push the chairs back to get them out of the way of the slides. No big deal.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Congrats on your 335RLBS. We havehad ours for a year and a half. We love it. We have the recliners and the one by the slide must be moved to the doorway to close the slide. There is a strap attached to the floor in the slide that secures the recliner. We keep a piece of carpet for the recliner to sit on while traveling. The other one turns where it sits and is secured with a strap for travel. The recliners are a little extra work at setup and breakdown, but we think they're worth it.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:43 AM   #7
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We also love our 335rlbs - towing is a dream with dual sway controllers and dual weight distributors (we started with only one sway control and after first 200 miles had the second fitted. mpg is about 12 mpg and we can cruise at 65-70 all day without any stress or strain. No significant mountains attempted yet but Pennsylvania and West Virginia have been pretty good test (we do tend to stick to interstates as we are usually aiming to get somewhere not meander on backroads)

Cannot help much on recliners but we are also quite anxious to have them instead of the rockers (rockers give a sense of instability - not just to this old body our kids feel the same). Size of recliner is the problem - maybe we will end up just replacing one as it is usually just the 2 of us and one of us tends to use the couch.

We will watch the suggestions with interest.

Good luck with the new rig - I know you will love it!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #8
Montana_1882
Established Member

M.O.C. #1882
I am in the same shoes your in....just a couple of steps ahead. We've had our 335RLBS for a couple of weeks now and I go out and set in it everyday waiting for the next trip. We did get the recliners and you will have to move one chair over by the door when you bring the slide in. It's kind of a pain, but it sure is nice having a comfy recliner to stretch out in. I think this RV will be with us for a long, long time. Good Luck!
Montana_1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:23 PM   #9
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
Hey, thanks everybody! It's great to have support from a great group of folks like this! I just can't wait till the wait'n is over! Only 7 more weeks....aaaahhh!
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
Montana_2103

M.O.C. #2103
I have an 04 335RLBS with the two recliners. I have found that if you stow the recliners side ways (facing each other), the slide will just barely fit past the chair. I hold a small piece of carpet between the arm of the chair and the slide while my wife opens or closes it. This protects bothe the chair and the wood trim on the slide. It's tight but it fits and it is nice to be able to get into the trailer and move around while traveling.
Montana_2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congratulatins on your new mountaineer. Neat looking floor plan. Hope you have loads of fun with it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Starchmill! You made a good choice. Hope you find this forum helpful and enjoyable. Please keep us posted as you get closer to delivery, etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:22 AM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Congradulations on your choice Starchmill. Enjoy your travels and the MOC.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote