Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
jschwisow

M.O.C. #11555
Buying used montana

I am relatively new to this site (lurking for a while) and new to RVing. I am looking to purchase a used RV and I would appreciate some guidance from the wisdom of you seasoned travelers. We will only use the RV for one or two couple week trips a year, so it is hard for me to justify spending more than 25-30K. So I am looking at model years 2004 to 2007. Are there any years or models to be avoided? We like the floor plans of the 3400RL and 3475RL.

Reading through the Maintenance Check List page and some of the problems people have with there RVs makes me pretty nervous about buying used. Since I'm new to RVing, I could sure use some help on what to be looking for or to avoid. From reading here, I realize I need to go through and see that everything works, but how can I avoid buying a major structural repair problem?

I have looked at two local units, a 2005 and a 2007. My terminology won't be correct here, but when looking at the closed underbelly of both units, the covering was gaping down between frame screws and I could see what appeared to be a thin layer of insulation. Actually the 07 had what looked to be great stuff foam insulation sprayed into the gaps to seal them up. Is this a common problem and how should it be correctly repaired.

Also the roof of the 07 is covered with some kind of greenish dried algae, lichen type stuff. How could this be cleaned up and would it affect the roof integrity? Is this a unit to not even consider?

How can I determine what option package was included with the RV and what that package included for a specific year and model?

Thanks for your help, Jim

jschwisow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Welcome to the MOC forum!
Take a look at one of our members (Phil) 3400RL Montana that is for sale. I'm confident that it is WELL cared for.
Go to http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45317
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you should choose to buy from a dealer, be sure that they will do a Pre Delivery Inspection and do a thorough class to train you at delivery. Also if you should buy from someone that you don't know, you might want to find a dealer to do an insp. and class for you. Should cost around $300. These things can prevent most troubles. I think most who would sell their coach on this forum would work with you. IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
I'd walk from the green roof. That is good sign it wasn't take care of. Who knows what shape the roof is in.

As far as the belly covering. I had issues with ours before we sold it. Those gaps were on ours as well. we had to take it in to have more fasteners added.

Look at the decals. Ours were peeling from the day we bought it. That just gets worse every year. If they are, get the dealer to put new ones on.

We just sold our 2009 3665RE to Terrytown in Grand Rapids, MI last week. It is in excellent shape. We took great care of it. Looks like new. Roof nice and white. You could call them and inquire with them if your interested. I have no idea what they are asking for it.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
jschwisow

M.O.C. #11555
CORattler,

Thanks for pointing out Phil's 3400RL Montana and truck for sale. I've read through all the for sale posts since January, and agree that it would be a great set up. I didn't pursue it though as I have a truck and it appears to be only a package deal. Not to mention AZ is a long way from WI. It certainly would alleviate my concerns about buying unrecognized problems in a used RV though!

Jim
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
jschwisow

M.O.C. #11555
Hook,

Thanks for the tip about having a dealer to do an inspection and class. I had wondered if something like a "home inspection" was ever done. I think the inspection along with the training class would be invaluable for me since I am totally new to this. I'm learning a lot reading through the forum, but there is lot of information to try to digest.

Never would have dreamed that Angle Soft was the preferred TP for RVers!

Jim
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
jschwisow

M.O.C. #11555
et2,

Thanks for helping confirm my thinking on the 07 with the green roof. That along with the sloppy way the foam sealant was sprayed into the belly cover really made me question how that unit had been maintained.

What exactly is above the belly cover? Is that seal supposed to be water proof? Would it be a serious concern if the belly cover has been gaping open for some time? The local 2005 I looked at had lots of gaps with nothing done to them.

I'll give Terrytown a call and check to see if they still have your 2009 3665RE. That is a floor plan we like, but I thought the model would be too new and out of my price range. Grand Rapids would certainly be doable for pick up.

Jim
Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Terrytown? Hmm, sounds like a person from GR MI. They seem to be good people tp work with if thats the same place,

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Have you considered renting a couple of units first before committing to a purchase? We were thinking of moving from our Monty to a class C. We rented one and decided we didn't like it. I know it's expensive to rent, but it could save you making a decision to buy something you don't like. A friend of ours bought a larger 5th wheel and didn't properly consider the size of truck he had just bought! He needed to buy a new truck, then shortly thereafter decided on a motorhome. A couple of rentals could be a cost effective way to help you determine exactly what you want.

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote