Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
OK ya got me thinkin'.
I'm going to the Les Schwab dealer here in Belfair Wa and have the tires replaced with the highest ratied tire that my rims will hold. I'm not going to tempt fate, as we have ttwo long trips planned for this summer.
Right!!! Give the tires back to the Chinese and let them make swings for the kids after they melt the lead out of the rubber....

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #22
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Also wonder if I'm going to have to get replacement parts (sheet metal siding and supports) from Keystone or whether someone can readily fabricate replacements. If it has to come from Keystone, I might be waiting a long time to see those parts.
The sheet metal and support brackets came already formed and painted by Keystone. Freight was about $200.00 from Goshen to Texas but insurance picked that up as well. Time from order to delivery was less than a week.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
David & Joanna
I am glad to hear you are both safe and no injuries. I am very sorry to hear about the damage to your trailer. The other night I went to where we store our Montana and looked at our tires. They look good and wearing ok. About 4000 miles. I wanted to get new tires but I thought our tires would last the spring and I would get new tires this summer. I came home and read your post that night. Today I went and bought 5 new Michelin tires. I wish your trailer a speedy recovery!
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 AM   #24
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ok, you got me scared, we have about 10,000 miles with no apparent wear, no apparent separations and full pressure (80psi) on the OEM Missions.

We have the aluminum wheels.

What is the best tire we can buy for replacement? I don't want to start controversy, but I know nothing about ratings etc. or where to find the information.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
14,000+ and aluminum wheels and no problems so far. Only time will tell. By now my Goodyear Marathons would have suffered at least two or three failures. I see Keystone is using Goodyear Marathon again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ah yes - looks like Goodyear added this size Marathon recently

ST235/80R16 E BSL 10 6.0-7.5 6.50 9.2 30.7 6.0 14.1 675 3420@80

This was not available a couple of months ago when I was checking. This can be a direct replacement for the Missions without going to the G Rated tires and the higher pressure wheels. This would be minimal loss in capacity to the 7K axles.

I have had good luck with Marathons, but only on boat trailers that were quite a bit lighter loads.

What I wonder is if these are Chinese imports as I heard rumor (I did verify the Goodyear G rated are USA). It would be the pits to replace the Mission tires with new Goodyear tires made by Mission.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had Goodyear Marathons on my Previous camper.It was about half the weight of the 3400 but we had no problems. Did @12K miles on the OEM missions then replaced them not wanting to push my luck but had no problems and they were wearing well... perhaps one of our tires guys can pop in here but we were told that Goodyear does make tires in China but NOT under the Goodyear brand name. So if it says Goodyear it is made in USA...same story with Cooper tires.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Went to Houston RV show today. Looked at the new Montana's, they had some new items that I liked. The tires were Goodyear Marathons, and on the side of the tire "Made in China". Would think twice about putting those on my trailer!
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
So the rumour was true
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #30
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I've decided to go with the Goodyear G614 LT 235/85 R16 load range G tires to replace all the Missions on my Big Sky. They will handle up to 3,750# at 110 psi--which my exisitng aluminum wheels can handle, so I don't have to upgrade on wheels. I'll probably only go with 85 psi pressure--should be enough to handle my axle load--which gives me a safety margin/cushion. Plus, as an LT tire, they are rated to handle road speeds up to 75 mph, another safety margin. And glad to hear they are not made in China.

They are a bit more expensive (quote from Wingfoot of $250 per tire including mounting & balancing), but they are more readily available than I expected--I've found them available at several of the Discount Tire and Wingfoot shops I've called.

FYI, Tireco has asked me to send them the tire that blew together with appraisals for the damage to my rig. I'll be curious to see if they step up and agree to pay for the damage and/or to pay for replacement tires, which would alleviate my having to swallow the $500 deductible I have with my RV insurer.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #31
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
David, I think you have made a good choice on tires. I am not sure about running them at 85 psi. However, I know you will have a serious talk with your tire man about that pressure. Both under and over inflation can cause problems. Checking your tire wear patterns can give you a clue about either. I am sure you know that edge wear on both sides indicates under inflation and center wear indicates over inflation.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #32
FRED S
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4621
David

good choice on tires, If my wheels were capable of handling that tire I would have gone with them instead of the Wrangler LT tires, too cheap to buy wheels at this time and only have 6000 lb axles anyway. Watch your tire pressure 85 seems allttle too soft to me but I am not a tire expert.
Fred
FRED S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
David - as you are probably aware, there is a goodyear chart that shows required pressures associated with load and your 85 psi sounds right on. We ran G rated Greenballs on our last rig at 80 psi and were in spec per Greenball.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #34
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
David and Jo-anna, Thats a good choice on the Goodyear Lt 235/85R16 Unisteel G614Rst. I ran my tires per the side wall 110lbs and when we sold the Cambridge, the man ask were the tires new. They had about 20,000 miles. Tires always ran cool and we ran 68 mph for 1,675 miles from Az to Tennessee. Believe me we were loaded for full timing. I will not run China made tires, can't understand why the RV manufacture's are still insist on those cheap tires. Guess its the money factor. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #35
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
A quick question about these tires, will they fit the aluminum wheels on the Big Sky?? Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #36
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
We've had our 3400 for 2 months now and won't have a chance to use it for the first time until the spring rally in Tucson.
I've read so many negative posts on this forum and the RV.net forum about these Mission tires I wont move this trailer another foot without changing them out. Too bad we have to pay the kind of money we paid for these trailers and than turn around and plunk out another 1000.00 or so to replace the OEM tires.
The tires Iam looking at to replace the OEM's are the Michelin Ribs.
Is there anyone out there that can tell me if these would be compatible with the rims that are on my 2008 3400RL?
Also if anyone thats going to the Tucson rally in April wants these wonderful Missions I'd be glad to haul them to Tucson for you.
These tires have been run from Goshen to Colton,Ca. and than from Colton to our home about 45 miles away,not many miles on them.
Their Free! Free! Free!
Iam open to suggestions on other replacement tires,Iam not really set on the Ribs yet.
All suggestions appreciated!
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote